Inner Bar End Weight

CHUCK2

• Member Contributer

I've heard of people using aerosol hair spray, but I've not done it myself. Mine just slipped right on, but are a solid fit.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I try not to use any adhesive on grips unless they just won't stay put. I just wet the inside of them and use an air hose to get them on.

I would avoid any kind of lube on something you want to stay put...

I was thinking that the throttle might need some lube.

• Member Contributer

Well I was able to get a set of 4th Gen clip-ons but.....they came without bar end weights.

So...anyone have any they would like to sell?

• Member Contributer

Curiousity got the better of me and I looked up cost on bar weights - $14.xx each and $1.16 each for the bolts.

• Member Contributer

Thanks mello dude.

Ya...PartsZilla has all that for $37.13 shipped. I'd like to find a used set in fairly descent condition for abit less. But I will go that way if I don't find any fairly soon.

I try not to use any adhesive on grips unless they just won't stay put. I just wet the inside of them and use an air hose to get them on.

you could use a grease needle and inject some in between the throttle outer tube and clip on.

• Member Contributer

For the inside of the throttle tube I've used graphite used in lock cylinders - it doesn't retain dirt. Compressed air has worked well for me to get the grips on - an attachment with a pointed rubber tip can get in under the grip and the tube - it's almost like inflating a balloon slightly - they go on and off easily and shrink back to size once the air's removed.

• Member Contributer

Well I was able to get a set of 4th Gen clip-ons but.....they came without bar end weights.

Let me see if I still have the ones I took off. If I do I'll ship to you if you'll pay just the shipping costs.

• Member Contributer

Let me see if I still have the ones I took off. If I do I'll ship to you if you'll pay just the shipping costs.

That would be HUGELY appreciated!

• Member Contributer

These what you're lookin' fer?

Unfortunately no.

The clip-ons I got don't have an inner bar weight. Those look like they're for a 98. These 97 clip-ons are solid, not hallow, with a threaded hole at the end for the screw that attaches the weight on.

This link shows what I bought.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1997/VFR750F+A/HANDLEBAR/parts.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

How difficult was swapping the grips & throttle parts over?

Any problems with them hitting the tank when turned all the way.

Its close, but no real problem. Try it, its easy.

I'm currently in the process of doing this. I've got the L/S done & when turned all the way to the right, the controls hit the front fairing. Does that happen with yours?

• Member Contributer

How difficult was swapping the grips & throttle parts over?

Any problems with them hitting the tank when turned all the way.

Its close, but no real problem. Try it, its easy.

I'm currently in the process of doing this. I've got the L/S done & when turned all the way to the right, the controls hit the front fairing. Does that happen with yours?

I don't have any problems with the 4th bars hitting any body work. I'll post up some photos soon.

• Member Contributer

I've run into some trouble with the RH one. But I am able to temporarily slide the clip-on over the fork tube. And while sitting on the bike, I notice that my hands are alot more foreword & further apart with these 4th Gen clip-ons as compared to the 5th Gen ones. I can't imagine anyone liking them that way. Did you also replace the triple clamp with a 4th Gen one?

• Member Contributer

I've run into some trouble with the RH one. But I am able to temporarily slide the clip-on over the fork tube. And while sitting on the bike, I notice that my hands are alot more foreword & further apart with these 4th Gen clip-ons as compared to the 5th Gen ones. I can't imagine anyone liking them that way. Did you also replace the triple clamp with a 4th Gen one?

Its starting to sound like you dont have 4th gen bars. The only real difference if you put a 5th bar side by side with a 4th bar is the height. Width wise they are identical. Bar angle is identical. In fact if someone jumped on for a ride, they wouldnt even notice that the bars are much different untill you point it out....----------I still use the 5th gen triples.....

Mbe post up a photo of what is going on...... and I'll post up photos tonite.

• Member Contributer

Here are pics of the LH 4th & 5th Gen clip-ons side by side.

Top: 5th Gen

post-14663-0-04069900-1431591795.jpg

Front: 4th Gen

post-14663-0-63258000-1431591870.jpg

Front: 4th Gen

post-14663-0-52093600-1431592066.jpg

• Member Contributer

Changing it over is easy peasy. Just cut the locator tabs off the bars and swap everything. I proby did it in an hour while killing a couple beers.

What locator tabs are you referring to & how did you cut them?

• Member Contributer

Changing it over is easy peasy. Just cut the locator tabs off the bars and swap everything. I proby did it in an hour while killing a couple beers.

Its the locator that fits in the slot on the triple trees. 30 seconds with a hacksaw and they are gone. Finish it up with a file...

• Member Contributer

Yes I think so. The tab like thing that fits into the space in the clamp? I guess that would explain my problem.

Couldn't it be a safety issue without those? Might the clip-ons slip out place?

Yes I think so. The tab like thing that fits into the space in the clamp? I guess that would explain my problem.

Couldn't it be a safety issue without those? Might the clip-ons slip out place?

I'm relatively certain those tabs are for aligning the bars only.

• Member Contributer

I'll roll with that. Especially since it's the only way they'll work.

Its the locator that fits in the slot on the triple trees. 30 seconds with a hacksaw and they are gone. Finish it up with a file...

The area that hangs down alittle in this pic? Were you able to cut it flush?

post-14663-0-20530300-1431637937.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'll roll with that. Especially since it's the only way they'll work.

The area that hangs down alittle in this pic? Were you able to cut it flush?

attachicon.gifIMG_6671.JPG

Yes - cut that tab flush hanging over the edge of the dryer or even at an angle.. you want it to do nothing so it doesnt get in the way or interfere with anything .....

Photos of install.............

To locate the bars in position, make yourself a strait steel piece that slots into the open slot area in the clamps, such that they are strait across,

as you can see in this photo...

cross%20bar%20install%20reduced_zpsedv2f

full%20bars%20reduced_zpskgtryaue.jpg

right%20bar%20close%20reduced_zps7plzqlo

Left%20bar%20reduced_zpslbhznuer.jpg

side%20shot_zpsvkzcpwrt.jpg

right%20bar%20really%20close_zpsp1gcijbu

The last pic you can see I completely cut the locator tab off.

The bar ends are stock 4th gen with the paint stripped off and polished.

-- Looks stock, no?

• Member Contributer

Awesome....thanks. That helps alot. I think I can "handle" that. :goofy:

Ok. Now onto the next item. lol :491:

I like your volt meter. Where did you get it & how did you mount it?

• Member Contributer

Awesome....thanks. That helps alot. I think I can "handle" that. :goofy:

Ok. Now onto the next item. lol :491:

I like your volt meter. Where did you get it & how did you mount it?

The voltmeter is a lascar. And the mounting scheme is something I came up with to attach it to the tank mount. I think there are better pics in the "show me your voltmeter thread."

- I imagine if you look in my gallery, there's plenty of other ideas you might like... :cool:

• Member Contributer

I saw a post somewhere on here by busylittleshop (I think) in regards to a way of removing the grips. It said to insert something like a screwdriver under the grip & squirt some rubbing alcohol in there. I'd just like to say HOLY HELL DOES THAT WORK GOOD!! :wheel: I needed only a small amount & it instantly slip right off! Another great thing about it is that the alcohol evaporates. Especially helpful when reinstalling the grip. :fing02:

Archived