Anyone Ever Own A Vfr 400/ Nc30? How Did You Like It?

deltaboxii

• Member Contributer

I am always on the lookout for one of my dream bikes, the VFR 400/ NC30. I would love to own an RC30 but that's probably never going to happen, especially with the "inflation" on prices of the '30 in recent years.

My FZR 400 was always one of my favorite bikes. I truly wish that I had never sold it. Should I buy another? What about the ultimate 400? And one that was never available in the USA?

Now that I am truly and well into my addiction of the V-Fours, I am curious what owners of the VFR 400 think about them. From reading some old reviews they seem to get really good marks, with some criticism of their very tall first gear and surprisingly bland sounding exhaust note (easy to fix I am assuming).

I would love to hear from anyone that owns or has owned a VFR 400 of any year what they thought of it. I am 5'9 and 180 lbs, and can still ride sport bikes all day long...so squeezing into its tiny ergos wont be an issue for me.

thanks

Erik

post-24302-0-79627100-1411527826.jpg

You probably WONT fix that exhaust note. From what I understand, the VFR400 uses a 360* crankshaft, unlike the bigger cousins and their 180* cranks. it's why the RC5 sounds pretty bland, granted, it's a ballistic missile...

• Member Contributer

they still sound great with a can, and are way fun :) being a 3/4 (2/3 ?) size bike with a 14k redline helps one feel like a gp rider :) The fzr400 is large, comparatively.

Shell nc30

vfr400 at miller

post-21931-0-92055300-1394724995.jpg

Hi - I had a NC30 and loved the bike - She was my first bike I ever bought and must say I will buy one again some day. The only reason I sold it was because my wife started riding with me as a pillion and the bike is very uncomfortable for a pillion - it is not built for that - But for just me it was awesome - They handle like very few bikes do and will kick big bikes in the passes and twisties because of the power to weight ratio.post-31358-0-75206300-1411548272.jpg

• Member Contributer

Cracking little bikes, you can cane them everywhere & feel like a proper road racer. Only down side is they are quite small, if you are over 5'8" then you will struggle on one for any distance, but if its just for Sunday blats they are ace & great handling. You can spend a fortune tuning them for not much gain, so best get a good standard one, replace the rear shock with a newer fully adjustable unit & have the forks worked over for finer suspension, then add CBR954/600F4/RC51 brake calipers & they are perfect little pocket rockets. 55hp does not sound like much, but when you can use it all the time, its perfect :)

• Member Contributer

Cracking little bikes, you can cane them everywhere & feel like a proper road racer. Only down side is they are quite small, if you are over 5'8" then you will struggle on one for any distance, but if its just for Sunday blats they are ace & great handling. You can spend a fortune tuning them for not much gain, so best get a good standard one, replace the rear shock with a newer fully adjustable unit & have the forks worked over for finer suspension, then add CBR954/600F4/RC51 brake calipers & they are perfect little pocket rockets. 55hp does not sound like much, but when you can use it all the time, its perfect :)

My old RZ-350 made around that much power outta the box and I had an absolute blast with it. I was stuffing my friend on his CBR-600 all the time. The little Viffer surely handles better even without upgrades!

• Member Contributer

I have once been on a ZXR-400, it was an absolute riot to ride!! (as was the lady owning it..)

(picture snapped from the web)

Kawasaki_ZXR_400.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have a Japanese import or "Grey" 1991 NC30. The bike is a blast and I ride it more than my 800.

It is still a bit of a 3 dressed up as a 9 but every year the budget allows a few more improvements.

Lots of support to be found on 400greybike.com.

post-3147-0-41786600-1411575900.jpg

I had a Vfr 400 for about a year, including a couple of track days.

At Eastern creek raceway, I dragged the foot peg, side stand and exhaust through corners, and yet it never really felt nervous. The revs would keep climbing after the speedo needle hit the stop at around 220kph. Just with a pipe and opened up air box, still road registered not a track bike. You could overtake everyone around the back of the track through the corners, then they would hammer you down the straight, then overtake through corners, then get hammered down the straight. Rinse and repeat. Great fun, and more fun that a 400 should be.

And I am about 1.9m tall, it was a bit of a squeeze, but not to bad. I was a bit more flexible back then. And a bit skinnier. Can you tell I think they are a great bike?

The RVF 400 has better suspension (USD front end) and better carbs though, the VFR is the base model.

• Member Contributer

The RVF 400 has better suspension (USD front end) and better carbs though, the VFR is the base model.

Debatable......rvf forks are lame, but look good :) carbs ? lotsa vfr400 carbs get put on rvf's.........just sayin.... Both are a giggle :)

Debatable......rvf forks are lame, but look good :) carbs ? lotsa vfr400 carbs get put on rvf's.........just sayin.... Both are a giggle :)

maybe i shoulda said bigger carbs for more top end power.

• Member Contributer

There seem to be a lot of them around in the 'States, considering that they are all grey imports. Sweet bikes. I have a few... :wink:

By the way, I am 5'11" and 95kg, and I can still ride my CBR250RRR all day, so I don't know how big you have to be for a 400 to be so uncomfortable it cannot be ridden. Just ride faster!

Ciao,

• 2 weeks later...

Archived