Refurbishing A Stolen, River-Found, Vfr 750...

• Member Contributer

Just another couple of questions for you guys; I need to replace the ignition lock as the thugs who tried to nick the bike broke the ignition's locking pin completely. The lock itself is working fine but the steering doesn't lock.

I was thinking of getting an aftermarket replacement and while I'm at it maybe I could get a lock from the later models that had the fancy keys? It may be needless but still...

So:

1. How would you rate one of those Chinese aftermarket copies? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Switch-Lock-Cylinder-Honda-CBR-600RR-F5-03-04-05-06-VFR800-2003-2008-/261253962246?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd3f31a06&vxp=mtr

2. Are the ignition locks interchangeable? Could I get a lock for a Vfr VTEC and put it to my model? I was thinking something like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Switch-Lock-Cylinder-Honda-CBR-600RR-F5-03-04-05-06-VFR800-2003-2008-/261253962246?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd3f31a06&vxp=mtr

just get another honda lock from the junk yard. from a cbr.. one that has no key..

should cost you almost nothing..

transfer your lock cylinder to it..

presto, you now have a good lock. :wink::beer:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've now got a chinese copy ignition lock as linked in your previous post and it's working fine.

Don't get one of the ones with the barrel type key like they have in vending machines. I had that style previously and somehow, I got the key into the lock 99% of the way, and managed to turn it, and it locked on me, and bugger me if it wasn't impossible to reinsert the key and get it turned back to off from lock.

Trust me, the thought of getting a barrel type key lock never even entered my mind! Actually I don't think I've ever even seen a bike with such a lock on it. :laugh:

Just another couple of questions for you guys; I need to replace the ignition lock as the thugs who tried to nick the bike broke the ignition's locking pin completely. The lock itself is working fine but the steering doesn't lock.

I was thinking of getting an aftermarket replacement and while I'm at it maybe I could get a lock from the later models that had the fancy keys? It may be needless but still...

So:

1. How would you rate one of those Chinese aftermarket copies? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Switch-Lock-Cylinder-Honda-CBR-600RR-F5-03-04-05-06-VFR800-2003-2008-/261253962246?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd3f31a06&vxp=mtr

2. Are the ignition locks interchangeable? Could I get a lock for a Vfr VTEC and put it to my model? I was thinking something like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Switch-Lock-Cylinder-Honda-CBR-600RR-F5-03-04-05-06-VFR800-2003-2008-/261253962246?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd3f31a06&vxp=mtr

just get another honda lock from the junk yard. from a cbr.. one that has no key..

presto, you now have a good lock. :wink:

Well, thing is mate that I've no idea how the lock parts are arranged inside the black plastic cover. I know that the switch is (obviously) separate from the main lock body but if the lock barrel separate from the locking pin? If so then indeed I could just get another lock just for the locking pin and swap the internals.

Having said that I do fancy the newer style Honda keys that are available with the Chinese copies but then again these locks are claimed to work with the newer models only. I guess I may have to pick one up and see what fits and what not...

Trust me, the thought of getting a barrel type key lock never even entered my mind! Actually I don't think I've ever even seen a bike with such a lock on it. :laugh:

I can't find them now for the life of me, but they were definetly on Ebay a few years ago for a VFR.

Looked just like the factory ignition switch, just with a barrel key.

I actually liked it better, until it screwed up on me. Don't know what I did wrong, maybe the key was not 100% square with the lock when I put it in, and it turned, never to be turned back again no matter what I tried.

Used it for several weeks before that and it was great. If it hadn't messed up, I would rather that than the standard key.

It happened right before a big trip, and I had to take it off, with the steering lock engaged, and swap on my stock keyswitch, which had been slowly failing, hence the need to replace it.

Boy am I ever glad I had not thrown it away. It lasted long enough for my trip and I put on the chinese copy lock I have now, with a regular key.

• Member Contributer

Well, thing is mate that I've no idea how the lock parts are arranged inside the black plastic cover. I know that the switch is (obviously) separate from the main lock body but if the lock barrel separate from the locking pin? If so then indeed I could just get another lock just for the locking pin and swap the internals.

its easy!! just a a few phillips screws holding everything together..

• Member Contributer

its easy!! just a a few phillips screws holding everything together..

That's not very reassuring... great for replacing but not very robust as a theft deterrent if it can be beat with a Phillips screwdriver :comp13:

• Member Contributer

That's not very reassuring... great for replacing but not very robust as a theft deterrent if it can be beat with a Phillips screwdriver :comp13:

you have to have the lock off the bike to get to them. every bike on the road has just about the same up. your car too.

• 6 months later...

Wow! The last post in this thread was way back on Jan 1st! I can't believe it's 7 months later. How time flies by...

In all this time I am pleased to say that I've managed to scrape together enough time, energy and money to get my beloved VFR running again. The fairings are with the painter now who if you discount the fact that he is falling extremely behind our original timeframe he is a good artist and will (when he finally gets to it) do a good job.

The important problem and the reason for this post is something else entirely.

I took the bike outside a few days ago for the first test run after all this time; she hadn't seen the light of day since last September!

The engine felt so smooth, gearbox the same, clutch discs were binding a bit but they are loosening up and all the electrics were functioning perfectly. So what's the problem then?

Well, it's hard to describe. First thing that I noticed was that the front end felt *very* heavy like the tyre was underinflated. I checked and corrected the pressures but it still feels unnaturally heavy.

Secondly (and most important issue) is that when the bike is moving at low speeds (40-50 kph) it feels like it's swaying gently from side to side. If seems to be incredibly unstable, ready to tip over to the side at the slightest chance. I feel that I need to balance the bike constantly making small adjustments to the steering bars in order to keep a steady line.

There are no vibrations from the wheels, the brakes are working properly and this swaying although repeating seems to be unrelated to the rotation of the wheels.

If I pick the speed up to say 80-100 kph the bike becomes a lot steadier but I have a nagging feeling that this could be from the increased inertia.

Points to consider:

- The bike was fully submerged in water overnight. Could there be water inside the tyres? FWIW when I got her out the tyres were still inflated and remain so until now.

- Tyre pressures have been checked and are ok

- Front wheel bearings were checked and seemed ok

- The headstock bearings have just been replaced with brand new conical bearings. Could that be affecting the handling so much?

- Tyres are still brand new, having about 5000 km to them all on the open roads.

- When the bike was brought up from the river it was picked up from the front wheel. I know it sucks but at that time it was the only viable option to get her out. Could the forks be bent?

Could you guys help out? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

• Member Contributer

Getting needle bearings properly adjusted can be tricky. Sounds like that's a chief suspect. The forks were not designed for that sort of load but if they were bent it should seem fairly obvious. And I'm sure they were out for the headstock bearing replacement so I'm tempted to skip the thought about re-setting the triple tree. If it wasn't assembled in quite the right order there might be a little tension in the front suspension but I doubt it would cause that heavy feeling you describe.

Steering stem bearings may be too tight, tapered roller bearings should be set up much looser than ball bearing steering head bearing.

Look up the 1981 CB900F manual somewhere to get the correct adjustment specs.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

BUMP!!!! any progress?

Reason for asking is a fellow dutch 4th gen owner getting caught out by sand.....

He is ok and ready to strip his bike down; will point out this thread to him for tips and inspiration.

Left side fairings took some beating, but like I said, rider ok!!!

This week is school vacation so I will see what I can do to help him.

post-8974-0-58947300-1445164138.jpg

post-8974-0-95495000-1445164275.jpg

post-8974-0-82615100-1445164145.jpg

• Member Contributer

Such a sad sight in the first photo. :sad2: Glad he's ok. Lots of work ahead - he'll probably need some encouragement to keep his spirits up. Keep us updated on how it goes.

this is very touching story, I am glad to see that the bike is running again.

These V4 Honda's are still one of the hardest bikes to kill, they will just keep on going if you give them a little TLC

• Member Contributer

Well, the Dutch bike is not running yet.......................

his first step was draining 8 liters of water from the engine innards......

Squirt Shot!!!!

Handjob rotating the (crank)shaft.....

post-8974-0-60790200-1445441612.jpg

Okay, I'm still curious, and maybe you don't know, but how did he crash on what looks to be a very straight and probalby a relatively low-speed road like that and get all the way into the water? Is there a corner just out of the picture?

• Member Contributer

In Dutch, but plenty pictures of how he is proceeding.

http://www.vfroc.nl/forumVFR/index.php?showtopic=25895&p=406708

"Hope is the last to die..." :beer:

Google translates the page easily - there is some explanation of how it happened. It looks like we have to be signed in as a member to view the photos.

I'd guess that there will be places that seem unlikely that have water in them - the wheels and swingarm are hollow castings - at least to some extent. Including wheel bearings, I would not be surprised to find water in the steering head bearings too. Hopefully the damage is minimal and he can get it back on the road again.

Damage would have been far worse in saltwater !!!!

The weaving side-to-side mentioned above is entirely a result of over-tightened steering head bearings.

• Member Contributer

post-8974-0-53009700-1445502948.jpg

post-8974-0-02072800-1445502949.jpg

post-8974-0-38132000-1445502950.jpg

post-8974-0-97085500-1445502950.jpg

post-8974-0-56541900-1445502951.jpg

post-8974-0-16303700-1445502952.jpg

post-8974-0-66163800-1445502949.jpg

Okay, I'm still curious, and maybe you don't know, but how did he crash on what looks to be a very straight and probalby a relatively low-speed road like that and get all the way into the water? Is there a corner just out of the picture?

sand in a chicane not in picture

• Member Contributer

Personally I think he'll get it running again. Once the dirt is purged from the engine and it gets dried out it probably will be ok. The carbs and electrical are going to be a PITA and it might be tricky to figure out every place the water worked its way in to but in the end it's possible. Keep the pics coming - this is the cheering section! :smile:

Archived