Shinko Tires

lshark

a little off topic but i hope you guys don't mind....i know that the Pilot Road and Angel GT seem to be the choice for the VFR1200, i am considering the Shinko tires for my Valkyrie....has anyone used shinko tires on any type of bike ??? any words of advice ??? they are about 1/3 cheaper than a Metzeler 880...i'd ask the guys on the Valkyrie forum, but those nutjobs run car tires on the rear(180/70R-16) and rear sportbike tires mounted opposite rotation on the front (150/80R-17) ... whoa !!!!! i'm not touching that !!! thnx

• Member Contributer

Lint has Shinko on his 6 Gen now and he seems to have some reservations about the rear tire but more on the profile I think. The '01 when I bought it has a Shinko on it, don't remember which model, but I hucked it almost immediately after I got the bike. Not because I thought it was junk, just because it was a little on the old side. The ride home after I picked it up didn't seem to be any issues but it was all freeway riding and not much to tell from the short jaunt.

• Member Contributer

I'd imagine that Shinko's on a Valkyrie would be fine. I assume that you are not looking for max lean angle, right? If you cruise your cruiser, then I'm sure it's fine.

• Member Contributer

I can't say anything for the Journey but the Verge are pretty decent. The 009 Raven REAR's are good for commuting or mild twistie riding but I would be very cautious running the 009 Raven FRONTS. I've seen too many of them come apart especially warmer weather.

• Member Contributer

I have 009 ravens on my VFR 3rd set, I also have them on my NC700. I have had the 712's on my CX500 (old commuter) never an issue for me. I have not had any problems with the sets that I have had them on the VFR

• Member Contributer

I love how people talk about how they ran a bike with Shinkos years ago and the tires scared them. Right. I rode my Suzuki RF600 in 1994 with the stock Dunlop 204s and they scared the piss out of me. So I guess I should conclude that 2014 Dunlops are no better? No more Dunlops for me then.

Take a look at the Verge 2X. Its a dual compound version of the Verge. I have a co worker that has a set of the Verges on his 6th gen and he had no issues hanging with me and my VFR (same bike) with my Pirelli Angel GTs. Plus, I bet he spent half as much as I did and I bet he gets more mileage. Just look at that tire and look at how much MEAT is on that thing- it will last 10K miles easily. Keep it inflated properly and it probably will. Even with the VFR 1200 being a heavier bike than the 6th gen and with alot more power, it should last at least 10k miles.

If you don't need the ultimate in grip (and most people really don't unless they are hard core sport riding), and are looking for awesome bang for the buck then the Shinko is a good choice. They also have a very fair warranty program for manufacturer defects. Unless you hit something or run it low on pressure you shouldnt have any trouble getting help.

• Member Contributer

The problem with the Verge 2X is that it's almost the same cost as a Dunlop Q3 or BT016 Pro and is reported to wear out much more quickly than expected. Why bother? Pilot Power 2CTs are available for less and will undoubtedly be a better tire.

Good on them for pushing out more advanced tires but quite frankly they need to be like Hyundai and KIA have been for the last decade; quality products with more features for less than the established brands. Value attracts people and will generate loyalty.

I used Shinko 009s a couple years ago and had no complaints. They out performed their $130/set price tag. Good value.

I have a set of the Stealth Shinkos on my bike. They were just put on it when I got the bike, they had no miles on them. Maybe 2500-3000 miles has been put on them now. Riding mostly back roads, some commuting and two up some as well. Just spent a 4 day weekend in the mountains with some luggage and a passenger. I have no complaints with mine and they look as if they only have about 100 miles on them. I have ridden in some heavy rain too and they did just fine. I do not really hard but I like a spirited pace at times and they seem to do okay for me.

There is a lot of discussion on the Volusia (Suzuki Cruisers) site re the Shinko's, good tyre, but will only last half as long as something like a Michelin or Metzler.

• Member Contributer

Alot of people are underinflating their tires in general, causing rapid wear. Shinko 777s (a bias ply cruiser tire) need to be run at 50psi. Yes, 50 psi. If you run them at what most people run them at, which is 32-38 psi, you will have rapid wear. Then factor in alot of people dont check their tire pressure often, and I see alot of people running 26-32 psi. NOT GOOD.

I overheard alot of riders complaining at the BMW MOA rally this year about the mileage on their Michelins/ Metzelers/ whatever...then when they were asked about what pressure they were running they either had no clue or were running what BMW tells them. BMW didn't design the Michelin/ Metzeler/ whatever, they just spec'd a tire for their bike and picked a pressure that would be middle of the road.

Listen to what the tire manufacturer tells you and you should be fine with mileage.

, i am considering the Shinko tires for my Valkyrie....has anyone used shinko tires on any type of bike ??? any words of advice ??? they are about 1/3 cheaper than a Metzeler 880... thnx

I had Shinkos on my Valkyrie before I sold it, lots of trouble free miles on them. I have also had good results with various Shinkos on my Versys, WR250R and my VFR. Wouldn't hesitate to mount up another set on any of my bikes.

Alot of people are underinflating their tires in general, causing rapid wear. Shinko 777s (a bias ply cruiser tire) need to be run at 50psi. Yes, 50 psi. If you run them at what most people run them at, which is 32-38 psi, you will have rapid wear. Then factor in alot of people dont check their tire pressure often, and I see alot of people running 26-32 psi. NOT GOOD.

I overheard alot of riders complaining at the BMW MOA rally this year about the mileage on their Michelins/ Metzelers/ whatever...then when they were asked about what pressure they were running they either had no clue or were running what BMW tells them. BMW didn't design the Michelin/ Metzeler/ whatever, they just spec'd a tire for their bike and picked a pressure that would be middle of the road.

Listen to what the tire manufacturer tells you and you should be fine with mileage.

Unfortunately trying to get a manufacturer to commit to a tyre pressure for a specific bike is almost impossible. I tried with both Metzler and Michelin, both said 'Whatever Suzuki recommend for your model'.

thanks for all of the input, guys...i think i'm going to give them a shot...the SE890 looks like it has a sportier tread design than a regular touring/cruiser tire....i do tend to ride the Valk with some gusto, so it i think it will work out well...i have hear a couple accounts of them separating, but prob due to low pressure, like you guys said....i check my tires regularly, so let's hope for the best......they can't be that bad, they have to meet DOT specs, right ??? thanks again

• Member Contributer

We need of course a picture of your Valkyrie wearing her new shoes :beer:

i just learned that Shinko is the old Yokohama Tire Co. m/c division....ok.......hard to find one in stock from the low price places online

• Member Contributer

i just learned that Shinko is the old Yokohama Tire Co. m/c division....ok.......hard to find one in stock from the low price places online

10-4 Yep ..

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately trying to get a manufacturer to commit to a tyre pressure for a specific bike is almost impossible. I tried with both Metzler and Michelin, both said 'Whatever Suzuki recommend for your model'.

Not the case that I have seen with Michelin/ Metzeler/ Pirelli/ Shinko. They are happy to quote tire pressures and usually disagree with what the OEM says. The OEMs and dealers are usually the ones that say "just run whatever your owners manual says". Which is honestly bad advice unless you have the OEM tires on the bike.

I love how people talk about how they ran a bike with Shinkos years ago and the tires scared them. Right. I rode my Suzuki RF600 in 1994 with the stock Dunlop 204s and they scared the piss out of me. So I guess I should conclude that 2014 Dunlops are no better? No more Dunlops for me then.

Take a look at the Verge 2X. Its a dual compound version of the Verge. I have a co worker that has a set of the Verges on his 6th gen and he had no issues hanging with me and my VFR (same bike) with my Pirelli Angel GTs. Plus, I bet he spent half as much as I did and I bet he gets more mileage. Just look at that tire and look at how much MEAT is on that thing- it will last 10K miles easily. Keep it inflated properly and it probably will. Even with the VFR 1200 being a heavier bike than the 6th gen and with alot more power, it should last at least 10k miles.

If you don't need the ultimate in grip (and most people really don't unless they are hard core sport riding), and are looking for awesome bang for the buck then the Shinko is a good choice. They also have a very fair warranty program for manufacturer defects. Unless you hit something or run it low on pressure you shouldnt have any trouble getting help.

All the Dunlop tyres i had ever on my bikes including the rc24, had a lack off grip. So i did'nt look at modern Dunlop tryres, after fitting 17 inch rims on my rc24. After all those scary moments with Dunlop tyres fitted, my mind said NO !

• Member Contributer

I got it out of Bridgestone and Metzeler for a sportbike running supersport tires. OEM rec'd pressures are a max pressure btw.

• Member Contributer

I initially had reservations about the Shinkos. My 4th gen has had its set of Conti Road Attacks on it for four riding seasons (don't ride it much), and in the last outing, I noticed it was time for new shoes. I don't ride agressively, especially with the 4th gen, so I figured I would try out the Raven 009. The reviews I've seen on Shinko seem like they're a no-nonsense tire with good quality. I ordered a set a couple weeks ago, and will be mounting them soon.

I figured if the Raven 009 is old-school Yoko technology (it does have a funky tread pattern), it would be right at home with my riding style and 18 year old VFR. Besides, the 170/60R17 rear is not a common offering for all manufacturers in their sport touring selections, yet Shinko readily offers this size. I'll post my overall impressions after getting some miles on the tires. As far as price goes, $180 for the set was an eye-opener. I'll stick with the Michelins PR3's on my 6th, 7th gens, but I am really looking forward to seeing how these Shinkos provide feedback on the road.

The way I feel about it, Shinko is to motorcycle tires as what Kumho is to automotive tires. Doesn't look like a bad tire, both manufactured in S. Korea, and both are decent quality and good price.

Archived