Compact Camping Gear

Duc2V4

• Member Contributer

I use an Alps Mountaineering Mystique 1.5 tent -- it's more roomy than a solo tent, but not as big as a two-person. ANother thing that's incredibly useful is a lightweigh silicon-nylon tarp and some cord. That way you can cook, eat and even relax out of the weather if it's bad.

• Member Contributer

I use an Alps Mountaineering Mystique 1.5 tent -- it's more roomy than a solo tent, but not as big as a two-person. ANother thing that's incredibly useful is a lightweigh silicon-nylon tarp and some cord. That way you can cook, eat and even relax out of the weather if it's bad.

AKA Hotel

• Member Contributer

The whisperlite international is the version that burns almost all fuels. I've used it and it is pretty great. Pricey but worth it if you are going to be using it often.

Otherwise, I have an MSR Pocket rocket. It's pretty small and basic. Only can use the gas canisters though.

When you are ordering a sleeping bag, consider a bag liner. If you are not going to camp anywhere cold, a liner can be a great help. It will keep the bag from directly getting sweaty (less worry about washing the sleeping bag and ruining the insulation), and on hot nights, you can just sleep in the liner on top of the bag.

With your tent, also consider if you want it free standing, or if it is required to be staked in the ground. If you are going to use it on anything that you can't get stakes in securely, a freestanding tent would be required.

I have been using Mountain Hardwear tents for years, and they have never leaked or let me down. Two years ago at a camp, we had high winds (40-50+mph), and the tent handled it without a hitch, while other people's tents were blown down or broke.

Brand Preference.

1) Mountain Hardwear

2) Marmot

3) MSR

4) Kelty

There are a ton of other brands out there, but that's my pecking order.

I also own a WhisperLite international stove. However I would not recommend burning kerosene in these stoves unless you can't find (or afford to use) gasoline, for I've discovered the resulting soot produced can create in a hell of a mess which can transfer to and not be easily removed from your skin, clothing, tent and other items (including your expensive riding gear). Also, the use of raw fuel to pre-heat white gas stoves can produce a similar result.

Propane, butane and alcohol fueled stoves are much cleaner burning than gas or kerosene, but these stoves also have pros & cons. Propane cylinders tend to be widely available and the stoves are very easy to use, but the cylinders & (to a lesser extent) burners can be fairly heavy & bulky. Butane stoves & fuel containers may be more compact, but the fuel cylinders tend to be more expensive and hard to find. Alcohol stoves are very simple to use and light weight, but the fuel doesn't burn as forcefully or as hot as the other varieties-which can render these stoves nearly useless in windy conditions. Although messy, stoves & lanterns that can burn kerosene can come in handy when you may be traveling through third-world countries where kerosene or diesel may be widely available and less expensive than gas or other fuels. There are even some small, folding wood burning stoves which are inexpensive to purchase and operate. However, such stoves generally require dry fuel along with more care and effort to operate with success.

Also, while the brand names that Yoshi mentioned produce quality and well engineered equipment, these products also tend to be rather pricy. So unless you're confident you'll be using your new gear regularly and for a long-time, you may not want to rule out some of the less-expensive options.

• Member Contributer

I've found everything I need for a multi-week camping trip at REI. Check out any gear designed for light-weight backpacking. I have a couple of one-man tents, both less than four pounds.

Big Agnes Seedhouse1 (3lb 10 oz.) (6" x 18" packed). I've been using this for five years. Love it.

ALPS Mystique 1.0 (3lb 15 oz) (6" x 16"). New this year; slightly more head room.

The best piece of equipment I've used is a JetBoil stove and integrated pot. Boils two cups of water in about one minute. Uses JetPower Isobutane fuel mix. Very compact and light weight. I use this mainly for coffee with a REI French Press mug.

For a sleeping pad I use a REI Flash insulated air sleeping pad. Weighs one pound and packs to 3" x 10". Very comfortable.

Sleeping bag is a Kelly Light Year XP 40; good to 40F.

All my stuff fits in two Givi V41 liter hard cases.

• Member Contributer

Back in the 80's my brother and I bought an Optimus for our backpacking through Europa

like this one:

post-8974-0-91831300-1405066235.jpg

Used extensively, it functions to this day. My brother keeps storage with a canister of fuel should municipal electric/gas amenities fail...

The Optimus is old skool in the sense it requires pre-heating.

I have since bought 2 Coleman burners; a Sportster dual fuel and a Multifuel (takes kerosene should I fail to source petrol).

Pump, light pump more and you are good to go..

Caught a fresh salmon?

No problemo!

post-8974-0-14484100-1405066797.jpg

Slice?

No problemo!

post-8974-0-53680100-1405066847.jpg

Even my son -now- knows how to operate one.... (fire was not his thing.....)

post-8974-0-89225700-1405066653.jpg

I own a coleman 2 mantle lantern as well, it lights up the night....

Buy good quality gear, your siblings may still use it when you are long gone...

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from a 2 night 3 day, 1100 mile ride. I have an 08 with OEM hard bags. I got an ENO double nest hammock, and ENO hammock bugnet, a Kelty Noah 12 tarp, a fleece sleeping bag liner and an auto windshieldsun shade into one hardbag with a little room to spare for extra straps and what nots.

I bought a eureka taron 2 tent (3 season 4 lbs packed 4"x18"), thermarest neoair xtherm mattress and pillow (4 season less than a pound for both 4"x10" packed) and a travelchair (3 lbs 4"x14"x6" packed)

• Member Contributer

Thanks all, I'll check on the stuff you all posted. I think there's an REI and/or Adventure 16 near me so I'll go check them out. I'm more into the compactness at the moment as my last trip the back was a little cramped for space. Can't imagine if the wife wanted to go along!

Did you buy yet? If not you are welcome to drop by and I can show you a bunch of stuff and discuss the pro and cons.

med_gallery_2144_7292_2707665.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks all, I'll check on the stuff you all posted. I think there's an REI and/or Adventure 16 near me so I'll go check them out. I'm more into the compactness at the moment as my last trip the back was a little cramped for space. Can't imagine if the wife wanted to go along!

Did you buy yet? If not you are welcome to drop by and I can show you a bunch of stuff and discuss the pro and cons.

med_gallery_2144_7292_2707665.jpg

I have not bought yet but I did go check out a few sporting goods stores. Depending on my "free time" I might want to check some stuff out. Right now I have some gear, just want to reduce the size, but not really break the bank doing it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Tent:The REI halfdome 2 plus is pretty roomy (38 sq ft, 42 in high, vertical sides), packs to 8x21.

Bag: Big Agnes Hog Park w Insulated Q Core air pad. packs to 10x21...smaller with a compression sack.

An alternative Tent I was looking at was the Nemo Galaxy which packs to 6.5 x 18 (32 sq ft, 40 in high, slanted sides).

Stove: you can't beat that JetBoil Tristan was sporting last trip..I make do with an old 1970 vintage white gas burning baby enders (looks like Dutchy's)..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Last weekend I went to Watkins Glen for three nights camping with BMWMOA folk. Took a Eureka Tetragon 2 person, free Harbor Freight 5x7 tarp as ground cloth, Kelty bag good down to 40 degrees, and a new Thermarest air mattress and compressable pillow branded Field and Stream. Minimal clothing, toothbrush, camera, radio, small folding camp chair and foam yoga mat to cushion the air pad. First night was fine, but the Thermarest was only 20 inches wide and I had issues with that narrow width. Second day was raining and I put everything in a contractor grade garbage bag in the middle of the tent. I only had 2 drips of water in the tent and I was very happy with it's weather tightness. That night it got down to about 50 and I froze my butt off, so take the temp rating of the bag with a grain of salt. The compressable pillow was dinky and really not enough support (my jeans and tee shirts under my head might have been better) and I woke up with a horrible pinched nerve in my neck that stayed with me for three days. The last night was very warm and humid and the tent was dripping wet inside when I woke up and I basically had to pack up a wet tent as we were leaving. When I got home and unpacked I noticed that the plastic joint of the folding chair had ground down a small kerf in my aluminum SWMotech soft bag plate - on the way up I wrapped everything with the yoga mat, but didn't on the way home.

Not sure what my point is, but some gear will work and some won't. Stuff that packs extremely small is small because it's minimal. I returned the air mattress as it was still like new but I saw it's narrow width to be a fail (consider a cot instead of an air mattress, although they will damage a tent floor). I would return the pillow too but my head and face was all over it. I'll probably keep the bag and add a fleece liner, still smaller than a regular bag. I wish I had a bigger tent, maybe a Eureka Timberline 4, but the one I have works fine. When you do get a tent consider headroom. It's no fun changing clothes lying down and about a 4 ft height is the MINIMUM I'd want. Look on Craigslist for tents as well. People buy tents, use them a couple of times and decide that roughing it isn't for them. Oh, and stakes - I didn't take any thinking my gear inside was ballast enough. A good gust of wind and my tent blew over so use stakes. Use a rock if you need a hammer.

As far as packing, buy Rok straps. My friends used regular bungees but there is zero adjustability and bungees break. Dry bags are great, but you can get by with a duffel and 3 ml garbage bag as well. Pack your heavier gear low on the bike and pack light.

Attached picture shows the luggage for the recent week long trip in the UK:

15198349221_4c8c118331_c.jpgVFR luggage by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

The right bag contains:

Trangia alcohol stove - fuel bottle, plate cup, cutlery, sugar, salt pepper etc.

Waterproofs,

Small first aid kit.

The left bag contains:

Clothing, merino wool base layer, reading materials, maps, DSLR camera, fleece top, electronics chargers

Top bag contains:

Tent - 2 man Hilleberg

Sleeping bag - down PH Design minimalist ( really only suitable for summer)

Mattress - Thermorest

Pillow - Vango inflatable

Sleeping bag liner - silk

Towel - Lifesystem easy drying travel towel, washbag.

Shoes - Converse type as they pack down small

Various bits and pieces.

I have found that the sleeping bag can take a lot of room and try and use my small PH Design one. But on this trip it was not warm enough and woke up cold a few times and had to get dressed ! The cold weather one is a North Face Blue Kazoo, down bag, which I should have taken on this trip. But I still think down is the way to go as it packs down small for the warmth value.

I will change to a method of packing the tent into its own waterproof bag. At the moment it can be a hassle when leaving in the rain as the tent will have to be taken down and put in the same bag as everything else, and the same bag will also have to stay open until you can put the tent in it. Not ideal.

I suppose it depends how much you will use it. I figure that if good kit means that it will save you even a few nights at $100 a night in a hotel, then it will soon pay for itself. The other big help is to head for somewhere warm !

Good luck.

• Member Contributer
First i look at the pad...thick wide and warm ....

I needed a big rectangular bag cause I toss and turn a lot...also had to find a way to make the pad stay put.

20130707 icehouse

Pad: Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core Pad 78 x 25 x 4 inches

Bag: Big Agnes Hog Park Bag...very roomy Semi Rectangular shape

no underside insulation as the pad slides into a sleeve to stay put and insulates

rated to +20 (i.e. comfortable to 35) and packs fairly small with a compression sack...pad takes no space, no underside in bag makes this big bag pack smaller than it should and with a compression sack, it fits on the back well.

Tent: REI halfdome 2 plus 98 x 56 w 42 peak

Vertical sides allow much more room to toss and turn and change than a dome.

Those military surplus sleep shirts work well for keeping warm at night as well.

Archived