Wtf!? To Me...

Headonastick

Has anyone else ever done something so stupid that you have to go WTF!? to yourself?

It has been a while since I rode, but I have nearly 20 years under my belt and I have cleaned many, many cycles.

Today it was rainy and I had to have something to do with my new VFR so I gave her a thorough cleaning... ending with tire dressing on the tires.

Yes, you heard correctly. Tire dressing - and I know better. I have never had to consider how to remove tire dressing, but I used wheel cleaner first. Sides and tread. Next, acetone sides and tread. Finally, I used some sandpaper on the tread area. Yes, I know all of this will probably shorten the life of the tires, but I have never had a tire actually wear out from old age... I'll probably go through at least one set over the summer.

I am a little tentative still... the tires look fabulous! But I am wondering if all of the stuff was removed and if I made the tires "slick" with all of this shenanigans.

Any thoughts - short of berating me for being stupid :)

Way too many times!!!!!!!

I would think after all that effort they would be pretty clean now, just be aware first time out and even more so if wet conditions.

BR

Everyone has a "well THAT was stupid!" moment.

Mine was this past week when I took off in damp grass & blipped the throttle....neatly drove the bike right out from under me & laid it down~

• Member Contributer

Tires are consumables. When in doubt replace them. They were going to be replaced eventually anyway. Why take chances on damaging expensive things that are hard to get to save something that's relatively inexpensive, and readily available?

If you're that strapped for cash let 'em sit in the sun for a while, and then go for a ride. Be careful, and stop frequently. The heat cycles should burn the dressing off fairly quickly, and it's likely better than using harsh chemicals.

• Member Contributer

Dressing???

On a tyre??

Only in America I guess..... :goofy:

WishBone2011NewDressings.jpg

• Member Contributer

Early in my riding years, when I owned a CB900F Supersport, I learned . . . . Not to Armorall the seat.

Nuts, meet the tank. Ya, that never happened again.

• Member Contributer

Early in my riding years, when I owned a CB900F Supersport, I learned . . . . Not to Armorall the seat.

Yep! Did that once myself.

+1. My dumbest moment, however, was probably when I rolled the VFR off the centerstand. Right after I had removed the rear wheel. D'oh!! :mad:

At least it wasn't ass....meet phalt~

• Member Contributer

+1. My dumbest moment, however, was probably when I rolled the VFR off the centerstand. Right after I had removed the rear wheel. D'oh!! :mad:

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger AP. Pretty embarassing. I'm just happy no one saw the event.

• Member Contributer

Well, now if we must list dumbest moments, yes, I have had some. Especially as a very amateur mechanic:

-yes, I did kinda "dropped" an older Kawasaki on the ground after I had removed both wheels after I knocked if off the jack underneath; lesson learned: tie up handle bars to rafters for additional stability

-I cracked the clear clutch cover I had made by trying to tighten it up on my 6th gen; how did I not notice there was a 1/8 inch space between the cover and engine? I have had repaired since (few months ago) but I have yet to figure out why the cover won't completely meet with engine--it hits the gears.... VFR still out of commission as I type this.

-forgot to remove the lock on front rotor before taking off

etc. I realize this last one has nothing to do with repairs, but my point is that sometimes the brain goes flatline and sh!t happens. We can all fix those, no big deal. Live and learn!

Keep the rubber side up!!

C

• Member Contributer

I shouldn't even put this here as I'm in the middle of dealing with a stripped spark plug hole... but, I tried to put a new plug into a cylinder that I forgot I already had a plug installed. Dam, I thought that one was stripped too. Need more sleep I think.

• Member Contributer

We all have brain farts occasionally. One I will never forget is getting my old ZX600A back together after one of many head gaskets (they are notorious). Fired it up, and ran it until the thermostat was open before I remembered it had no oil. Doh!

I had the cylinder block off many miles later, and found no evidence of oil starvation damage. Thank you Mobil 1.

Pulled into a gas station...fueled up. Pushed my way over to the air compressor to make sure the tires were correct, stopped, set down, all the way down...on the fairing...still have the &%#@$ scratches...forgot the kickstand. I'll never forget the sinking feeling as the bike leaned s l o w l y ever closer to the ground, too heavy for me to stop. Ggrrrr!!! Oh, well....so it goes.

• Member Contributer

Don't fill bad I know someone that done it with the bike running and in 3rd gear, he thought the center stand had a kill switch .

The bike shoot across the driveway and fell over .

Archived