Chain & Sprocket Mileage?

boOZZIE

• Member Contributer

Just had my bike serviced & the mechanic recommended that the chain and sprocket (original) need replacing at the next service 30000 Kms

What mileage do you get & is a brand replacement better than OEM?

I like DID chains better than RK and change them about every 20k miles. I think my first one I did at 18k miles, but right around 20k miles for the past 2. I try to lubricate somewhat regularly, but lack on the cleaning side.

I ran a ScottOiler on my Superhawk and the chain lasted 40k miles.

• Member Contributer

Just gone through 55,000 miles on the original set up, Scottoiler fitted but chain never cleaned, Scotty sees to that.

Can just about get 1mm of lift on the chain/sprocket so life n the old girl yet.

My experience and from what I read here from posts by others the VFR OEM chain by DID lasts considerably longer than any of the aftermarket chains. The OEM made by RK has not performed as well. For example I got 40k miles from OEM and just 23k from DID's best aftermarket chain. In the past I was able to buy OEM chain from Honda and it performed much better. Last I checked the OEM chain by DID was no longer available so I had to buy an inferior aftermarket chain. Designed for shorter life and more frequent sales. We have no other choices available. Clever marketing sucks.

My experience has been that the OEM chain lasts about 30% longer. The DID ones are good and last between 18-22,000 kilometres before they start binding or disintegrating their o-rings – and I do clean and maintain the chains regularly.

• Member Contributer

I got just over 80K km on each of my oem RK and DID chains. I just keep them clean with WD40. I believe that dirt trapped in chain lube is the enemy of chain life.

• Member Contributer

Got around 20k miles from my original chain and sprokets. Chain was lubed regularly but infrequent cleaning.

• Member Contributer

I believe that dirt trapped in chain lube is the enemy of chain life.

It is if you grind it in with a brush. The only time I clean my chains is when I want to take a close look at the condition. I wipe 'em off with a rag soaked with WD40. No brush or kerosine soaking for me.

Just had my bike serviced & the mechanic recommended that the chain and sprocket (original) need replacing at the next service 30000 Kms

What mileage do you get & is a brand replacement better than OEM?

The original oem sprockets, you wont find any better in longevity , the DID zvm 530 ive not seen any better on longevity.

• Member Contributer

I lube with gear oil every 1K miles and use a spray lube between. I replaced the first chain at about 20K and should have replaced the second at about the same mileage. I replaced the sprockets with the second chain. Going on tour with a bad chain is not fun.............replace early if in doubt.

• Member Contributer

I believe that dirt trapped in chain lube is the enemy of chain life.

It is if you grind it in with a brush. The only time I clean my chains is when I want to take a close look at the condition. I wipe 'em off with a rag soaked with WD40. No brush or kerosine soaking for me.

Yes, but most people just keep lubing without doing the cleaning step. But I'm happy with the service life I'm getting so will just skip the messy lube step and stick with WD40. To each their own.

wd40 is fine for cleaning , but offers nothing for sprocket life, it takes a very heavy strong film base to quelch metal to metal contact(it makes a huge difference), especially on front sprockets, which tend to suffer wear at a much faster rate than steel rears. Im still running the original rear sprocket post 105,000 miles. I did replace the front sprocket at 53,000 miles, the little wear is showed , could have went another 10,000 miles.

when the present chain wears out I plan to replace the whole set this round , near 115,000 miles.

Archived