Crash In Germany, American Needs Insurance Advice

Guest svrider

Guest svrider

Hi guys, someone hit my beautiful 1995 VFR this week while it was parked.

It knocked it off the centersstand, broke the footrest, bent the brake lever, and caused three approx 5cm cracks in the fairings.

This is quite sad as the bike was basically in immaculate condition. Fortunately, the guy called the police and reported the accident and his insurance is paying for it.

My question is what should happen now? What do you think the insurance will do about the cracked fairings? The cracks are small, but they do bother me and I would obviously want the bike back to how it was. Would they have to replace the fairings to fix it properly?

Anyone know anything about German/European insurance law?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Pm me your phone number and I will call you in about an hour.

• Member Contributer

Sorry, no specific information as to German insurance practice, but I've never heard of any insurer insisting on repairing m/c plastics. If there is a small claims court procedure, as the other party has admitted liability, you could sue them to recover all of your damages and costs. Hopefully your VFR is red--new VFR plastics are getting hard to find. Not all might be available in dealers--you might have to go through DSS or CMS or bike-parts.fr. Good luck.

Ciao,

Sounds like a Total,

Insurance will not pay more than the bikes worth and those repairs should be higher than bikes worth , so what ever the bike is worth. 1st step would be to have some contact with that guys insurance.

• Member Contributer

I will let svrider do the update, but he is in contact yes.

Hey guys, so I got an official estimator at the Honda dealership near my house to check out the bike. He said that replacing everything would cost 7000,so there is little doubt that the bike is totaled.

So now I guess that all that's left to figure out is how much my bike is "worth" it has 4 previous owners and 60k kilometers. Other than that, it was in awesome condition and ran great.

I will should also be able to buy the bike back for something like 4-500 or so

• Member Contributer

how the heck does a few bent bent bits and a cracked fairing total the bike???

make a deal.. and dont give the company the title.. take $5500 and save yourself the headache of redoing all the tags and stuff and buy some aftermarket bling for $300

now the fairing..

since no pix. either place some painters tape on the outside and fill the back with epoxy. .( remove tape and presto!!)

or you may need to do some plastic welding and touch up ot stickers. depending on where the cracks are..

i just reread the bit where you said " now to figure out a 4th gens worth.." so take as much as you can get without giving them your bike!!

• Member Contributer

I'd buy it back for that much, and shop for another one too. Good luck! It sucks trying to figure all that out.

• Member Contributer

Good Luck! Do not let them lowball you, look up comparable bikes for a estimate. When mine was totaled I received $2,051.73 after my 500. deductable and buying the bike back. I spent $1,325.00 getting her back roadworthy here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49X8SaTXLmw This was in 2010 with 70k on her. "Other than that, it was in awesome condition and ran great."

She still still run great and you will be able to get the plastics repaired & repainted and have a couple of Euro left over..... Let us know how it turns out.

Gary

Very jealus of your location

porta nigra, trier 2000 birthday party 1983ish

They total the retail cost of every scratched piece plus labor at dealer rates.

This is why you have something like a bike with a tiny dimple in the frame, and a salvage title.

The driveway tipover frame ding totals it. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

They total the retail cost of every scratched piece plus labor at dealer rates.

This is why you have something like a bike with a tiny dimple in the frame, and a salvage title.

The driveway tipover frame ding totals it. :goofy:

yeah i know.. .. from being the head tech at a honda dealership.. i forgot we are dealing with a 20 year old bike.. as i never think of mine that way :happy:

Archived