Vfr Acquisition Checklist

C4cycle

Hello fellow V4 junkies,

I have just recently come to own a 2002 VFR. Very stoked.

As yet (only rode it home just yesterday) I have not adjusted anything, though there are a number of obvious things that need attention.

Known items:

- Chain is too slack, needs lubricating

- Clutch engages at very end of lever travel (is this normal? Clutch otherwise seems good)

Can anyone provide me with a basic list of things to once-over? I have a service manual and I'm not afraid to use it! :)

Newly hooked on the sound and smooth power,

Clarke

I think the clutch engagement sounds normal - they do engage when the lever's very far out. One quick thing to check is that the radiator fan isn't touching the rad. If the bike's been dropped on the left side, the fan might chew up the rad if they're in contact. Other than regular maintenance items, you should be good to go.

• Member Contributer

The list:

Brake Fluid

Brake lever pressure

Clutch Fluid

Clutch activation

Sprockets and chain - tension, wear, proper size (530 stock)

Tire - tread life, dry rot, cupping

Coolant - is it clean

Steering head bearings

Forks/front suspension - do they fee like they could use a rebuild

Brake pad life

Brake rotor life

Set sag on suspension

Look over for any wiring modifications

Check your stator connector

Check spark plugs

oil and filter change

air filter

• Member Contributer

Post picture of your bike!

welcome to VFRD from across the pond! :beer:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Tool kit. Most of it is basic stuff but you need the spanner to adjust the chain. Easy peasy with the single sided swingarm.

• Member Contributer

I had posted these tips for inspecting a new VFR purchase previously but they might give you some ideas of what to look for on your new MC. BTW, congratulation

….all these can be done as part of a walk around with no tools except a volt meter and a flashlight.

1) I would check the charging voltage at idle and 5K RPM with the high beams on. It should be at lease 13.8V or you have some charging issues. It is easy to do with a voltmeter, just remove the seat. Check the forum there are plenty of threads on charging issues on the VFR.

2) Obviously check tires, brakes, chain, brake and clutch fluid color. The fluids should be clear. If they look like tea or coffee they need to be replaced. Wear or replacements items are good negotiating points.

3) With the bike on the center stand, have someone push down on the rear and lift the front wheel off the ground. Turn the wheel left and right and feel for binding or a notch at dead center. This is a sign that the bike needs new head bearings. I have had to replace bearings at 20K miles on some VFRs. Check the fork seals – look for oil on the fork tubes.

4) Obviously, check the overall condition of the finish and look for missing or non OEM fasteners or new panels or missing decals. Look for scrapes on the end of the clutch and brake levers, bent shifter and brake foot levers, bar end weights, and on 5th gens look for a black block off plate on the underside of the fairing between the headlights. A missing plate or scrapes indicated a fall or accident.

5) Arrive when the bike is “cold”. It should start easily, idle well and be ridable without requiring any warm up.

6) Finally look in the tank for signs of rust – use a flashlight

7) Not to go to CSI on you – but bring a flash light when you inspect the bike. A good light will help with the inspection.

8) Make sure you get the factory tool kit. Most of the wrenches and screwdrivers are poor quality but you will need the chain adjusting tool and the shock adjusting tool. Ask for the owner’s manual. It doesn’t hurt to ask if the PO has a shop manual. He might throw that in as part of the deal. Oh, and get both keys.

If this is not your first bike you probably know most of this. Good luck with you purchase.

• 3 weeks later...

My Heavens! How rude and thoughtless of me! Pics on the way...surprised I wasn't banned over this. By the way, nice couple lists there, thanks guys. I just tried to add pics with my mobile, no dice. I'll add 'em this evening.

As far as the lists you all have graciously provided are concerned, I dare say the 'inspect and clean all wiring connections' list is first up. I've had a bit of a gremlin pop up, random power loss on a couple occasions. Pretty sure a good once over on the appropriate harness should see returns.

Clarke

• Member Contributer

Another thing to look for I think is that there was a recall for part of the wiring harness for the early 6th gen bikes (2002-2006 I think) so you might want to check with your local Honda dealer to check and see if the recall was performed. They should be able to tell you by running the VIN # from the bike.

Welcome to the site, ride safe, and don't forget to keep her shiny side up.

Another thing to look for I think is that there was a recall for part of the wiring harness for the early 6th gen bikes (2002-2006 I think) so you might want to check with your local Honda dealer to check and see if the recall was performed. They should be able to tell you by running the VIN # from the bike.

Welcome to the site, ride safe, and don't forget to keep her shiny side up.

Thanks for that, just confirmed with a local dealer that my bike is, surprisingly, not affected by the recall.

As promised, pics....

post-30480-0-69964700-1404872679.jpgpost-30480-0-93897000-1404872686.jpg

Archived