93 Vfr Newb In Over His Head!

Thanks, Phantom! It's definitely good stuff. Might be expensive but it's definitely worth it. It's alright, it's getting done, so I'm happy.
The screen is probably what I'm most excited about, lol. And I'm glad you like it!

One more update for today: Got the inner fender in yesterday, and installed today, here is a picture showing what the previous owner did
IMG_2691_zpsa0e3b6f4.jpg

They spliced some of the wiring to fit an aftermarket light on the bottom of the inner, so we'll have clean that up, but I dont care so much right now. Here's installed:

IMG_2693_zps87901c17.jpg

And finally, a preview of the paint!!!!!
IMG_2694_zps93a293cd.jpg

Unfortunately, the painter was only able to get us some of the pieces. We needed the upper, rear, and tank to assemble the time consuming ones, and he forgot to finish the upper right half, so we can't assemble it to functioning condition, but at least we got some color in. Almost done...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pics never do paint justice, but from here that looks really damn nice.

Thanks! Its an awesome color, just as bright in person, but smoother. It will look more dark blue indoors, but as soon as it hits sunlight, it pops!

Frame look good !!!

Thank you! It's in great shape, cant wait to put it all together

Agreed :P A few more pics. Gas tank and rear fairing go on today, after polishing the frame.

The rest of the pieces we got, as well as a chain guard thrown in

IMG_2713_zps5a1c235f.jpg

No special story, just the right mid

IMG_2710_zpsd33af85d.jpg

Seat cowl, with the rebuilt tabs!(holes not drilled yet)

IMG_2709_zps54bc3f99.jpg

Left upper

IMG_2708_zps57afd849.jpg

and the rear, all molded to one piece. Absolutely love it.

IMG_2704_zpsaa214c1f.jpg

IMG_2702_zps1f2ccce7.jpg

both sides

IMG_2706_zps94b457bd.jpg

IMG_2705_zps2e5420cd.jpg

and the edge we rebuilt out of the mesh and plio grip. Before and after

Photos1005_zpse423572e.jpg

IMG_2707_zpse3890a2e.jpg

IMG_2711_zps4485e0b5.jpg

IMG_2712_zpsf70fb99f.jpg

Sorry for posting this many pictures, still a little giddy from the paint job. And I know that you all know what parts are what, I just like to be thorough :D

So did a ton of polishing/buffing today. buffed the front peg brackets to look more polished like the rest of the pieces using a steel wire dremel attachment, Used Mothers for the polishing, and we hit every piece on the bike. Shines like new! Love that stuff. Also got the tank on

Oh, and we took the steel wire attachment to the tip of the exhaust, made those letters stick out a lot more, and it looks a lot less faded. It's the small things that I love

Before

IMG_2473_zps7e53faf8.jpg

After

IMG_2720_zpsb9ecabf0.jpg

Tank on

IMG_2715_zpsd2692eca.jpg

Tank and Corbin seat on, seat wasn't cleaned yet

IMG_2718_zpsf13b2f9d.jpg

Slow and steady...

Sorry for the broken images. Changed the location for them, forgot it would do that.. Quick update:
We leave Saturday, so I called the paint guy hoping to hear that it would all be done(today is the latest he said it would be), and the reply I got was, "well, were hoping it will be done by Friday." That's it. No apology, just that. He knows about our trip, we asked for the parts required to get it road-worthy and he messed that up by leaving out the other half of the upper, and now this. I said OK and got off the phone as quickly as I could before I snapped. Pretty angry, as this is the third time he's pushed back the date. It was supposed to be done 2 weeks ago, and instead of his initial quote, being $500, were looking more at around $1500-$1750. Honestly not sure what to do. Gonna go collect myself for a bit :P

• Member Contributer

So, what now? You're not going on the trip?

I'd call him and first ask if he is aware of the trip a of the original timeline.

When someone says " Hoping by Friday" I hear Tuesday or Wednesday.

So, what now? You're not going on the trip?

I'd call him and first ask if he is aware of the trip a of the original timeline.

When someone says " Hoping by Friday" I hear Tuesday or Wednesday.

Yeah, we decided to cancel the trip. like I said, he was made aware of the trip when we dropped off the pieces three weeks ago. He was reminded multiple times, we even told him what pieces to do first to get the bike legally operational. He disregarded everything we told him, and I completely agree, that was my first thought when he said that.... Maybe some other choice words, as well. :P We are gonna take a trip for a couple days, maybe cruise along Lake Michigan, go somewhere and hang out, but all in all, a very disappointing outcome.

• Member Contributer

With out even reading this whole post i am reminded of why i have stuck around for so long. I read the title translate it into VFR enthusiast in trouble. I look and there are all of 7 pages of replies to help a "newb" out. Color me touched. And our own most notoriuse smart ass is tbe first to offer sound advise. Is it just me or did Yamaha steal the 2nd gen lines for their FJ1300? Must be why i like it.

With out even reading this whole post i am reminded of why i have stuck around for so long. I read the title translate it into VFR enthusiast in trouble. I look and there are all of 7 pages of replies to help a "newb" out. Color me touched. And our own most notoriuse smart ass is tbe first to offer sound advise. Is it just me or did Yamaha steal the 2nd gen lines for their FJ1300? Must be why i like it.

This truly has been the nicest forum I've ever been a part of. I've been on Civic, Chevrolet, Toyota MR2, and Dodge forums, and none of them compare :P Not sure about the FJ lines, I'll have to look at it.

Not sure what happened, but he finished it. Got the decals put on. No long story, no complaining, just results. Please enjoy this.

IMG_2785_zps9de6f028.jpg

IMG_2784_zps99e36b67.jpg

IMG_2786_zpse3b1253c.jpg

Thanks guys! Unfortunately, the trip is still off. Already canceled the vacation days, cant get them back :( Still waiting on that lower metal cover that sits under the foot brake to come in. We'll shoot that and it will be close to 100%

Yeah, I was nervous about how it would turn out, but I'm loving every bit of it now. The bad news is that this paint job is not working out so well. The issues they encountered with the bubbling did not go away like they thought they would. Bubbles are showing up in the paint, and I'm pretty annoyed. You'd think for a $2100 paint job(which he apparently knocked down from $3600 because "were good customers") it would turn out better. Not sure what is going on, and I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I believe I'm going to start telling people to never go to this guy. It's been a serious pain, he hasn't apologized once about anything that's happened, and he has been a terrible communicator. I just want the paint job done and done right, so we'll see what is going to happen. If everything is fixed for free we'll just go our separate ways.

Oh, and I realized my handle bars are two different types. I bought OEM handle ends, and they would only fit on one side. Any ideas for where to go for matching handlebars? I only need the right, but if I can get a polished set for a decent price I'll probably jump on em.

• Member Contributer

awesome job saving this third gen., hopefully the painter will stand behind his workand fix it to your satisfaction . Now go ride and enjoy that beautiful bike.

Sorry to hear of the paint troubles. We had an entire body from an RC51 repainted for a friend and that cost about $700 - a top quality job too. I think you ought to expect perfection for what you paid but doesn't sound as if the guy you chose is all that good... sorry.

In the not too distant future (1-2 months) I'll be fitting an RC51 front end to mine and when I do I won't need my original handlebars any more. You'd be welcome to them for free, if you pay the postage from Japan (Which may be around $45 - at a guess). Maybe someone else has a set for free, closer to home.

• Member Contributer

Even with the "discount" you allegedly got on the paint $2100 is way too much for a single color paint job. What was the painters justification for such a high cost when it really shouldn't have been more than $1000 total IMO.

Rollin

Archived