93 Vfr Newb In Over His Head!

awesome job saving this third gen., hopefully the painter will stand behind his workand fix it to your satisfaction . Now go ride and enjoy that beautiful bike.

Thanks! I'll be talking with him today. Hope all goes well. Going to a show this weekend, hoping to get a couple looks :P

Don't pay the ferryman........

No plans to. I'm sure he'll do right by me, but I'm prepared for the worst.

Sorry to hear of the paint troubles. We had an entire body from an RC51 repainted for a friend and that cost about $700 - a top quality job too. I think you ought to expect perfection for what you paid but doesn't sound as if the guy you chose is all that good... sorry.

In the not too distant future (1-2 months) I'll be fitting an RC51 front end to mine and when I do I won't need my original handlebars any more. You'd be welcome to them for free, if you pay the postage from Japan (Which may be around $45 - at a guess). Maybe someone else has a set for free, closer to home.

Yeah, the painter he has at his shop has only been there for one month, so it adds another possibility for what the issue is... Nice! Definitely let me know, I'd be all for that. Could I get a pic of them sometime?

Even with the "discount" you allegedly got on the paint $2100 is way too much for a single color paint job. What was the painters justification for such a high cost when it really shouldn't have been more than $1000 total IMO.

Rollin

100% agree. I definitely don't have my head in the clouds, we got ripped and we know it. His justification was the bubbling that was popping up, saying it was because of multiple layers of cheap paint underneath. He media blasted every piece all the way down to plastic, re-fixed the cracks that didn't hold during the blasting, as well as any new ones that were covered by the gobs of paint, and then finished the job. The primer he uses is almost as expensive as his paint, and every time he'd test the pieces he'd spray them with a fresh layer. The part that doesn't hold water is with the bubbling. He got rid of all of the old paint, applied his primer and paint, and still bubbles showed up. The constant during all of this has been the primer. I think it's a bad batch. My issue with that is that we paid for the fixing multiple times, and hours put into getting rid of this bubbling issue. If he refunds $1000 and fixes the current issues free of charge, as well as pay for a new set of decals(which will need removed to fix this) I'll be happy. If it's a bad batch of primer that's the issue, the company he gets his supplies from should pay for all of this in full. I've seen his work in person, and I have only ever heard great things about this guy, so I'm trying to hold off on putting him at fault completely. It isn't looking good, though. We'll find out more today, and I'm praying for good news..

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone! I wanted to update you guys and ask for some advice. Two weeks after finishing this, decals and all, I was riding on basically the only road here with some decent turns, and hit a spot in one of the turns that had a pile of grass clippings from someone who had just mowed and didn't clean off the road. Dropped it going about 40,but it mainly slid in the grass. The left side, plastic wise, is shot, excluding the rear plastic, but the rest of the bike is fine. I'd fix it up and keep it, but second gear is getting iffy, so I can't afford to fix the plastic again and rebuild the transmission when it comes time for that. So should I part it out or sell it whole? Kind of at a loss here..

Jesus Christ mate, you're as unlucky as me with bikes (won't go into detail here but PM me if you want a laugh)

For the sheer amount of money you've spent on it, I would never ever recommend you sell it, I say drain the bowls, get it on the centre stand at the back of the garage and leave it until you have spare funds to fix it.

Either that or strip all the fairings and keep them (getting them sorted at the paint shop who've done you over) and sell the bike as a working project. Someone will turn it into a street fighter, you can then buy a lower mileage example and swap your fairings over.

Don't give up on this, believe me, I know how hard it can be to keep the faith, I've been so upset at mishaps with my bikes that I've contemplated giving up riding all together, it's so upsetting isn't it. Stay strong!

• Member Contributer

I agree with Johnlondon, with all the effort you have already done, take your time fix it up & ride it. I will share this link of the issue I had almost 5 years ago

http://youtu.be/ywKQadpoD9c

fast forward to last year

20140704 163835

My backyard paint job, she now has about 108k on her and there is no way I would ever let her go.....with a little time, $'s & patience you can find all the parts via ebay, craigslist etc. if you had a 4th gen I could supply you with all the body parts you need...https://plus.google.com/photos/104820486665421493945/albums/5981423313607412433?banner=pwa&authkey=CI7o4sjHhND4yQE

Hi I am Gary, I have a problem........I keep picking up VFR parts...... :beer: take your time and it will all come together!!!

Well, found a parts bike out of Tennessee with an awesome Repsol paint job that I was going to pick up, but the seller didn't really understand how shipping and wire transfers worked, so he would only take cash in hand, in person. Cant justify driving 8 hours for a bike that might not be there when I pick it up, so I'm back to selling the bike. I'd post the link, but the forums aren't allowing me to. I understand what you guys are saying, its just not worth it to try to fix it up(at least, to me). If anyone on here is interested in any of the parts, such as the OEM screen, center stand, rims, etc. Let me know. Id like to see what I can get out of it.

• Member Contributer

Well, found a parts bike out of Tennessee with an awesome Repsol paint job that I was going to pick up, but the seller didn't really understand how shipping and wire transfers worked, so he would only take cash in hand, in person. Cant justify driving 8 hours for a bike that might not be there when I pick it up, so I'm back to selling the bike. I'd post the link, but the forums aren't allowing me to. I understand what you guys are saying, its just not worth it to try to fix it up(at least, to me). If anyone on here is interested in any of the parts, such as the OEM screen, center stand, rims, etc. Let me know. Id like to see what I can get out of it.

I know that bike it's been on craigslist a bunch , good luck .

I know that bike it's been on craigslist a bunch , good luck .

Yeah? Whats your opinion of it? Might still be trying to go for it if it works out. Really don't want to get rid of this bike, and I might be able to get the funds for it.

Every time I think I've decided on what I'm going to do, something happens. Lol

Archived