Should I Buy A 2013 Vfr1200?

Guest em563

Guest em563

Hi all, new to the forum here.

I am just wanting to get some more information on the 2013 VFR1200F.

I am looking to buy a brand new one as I can get it for an awesome deal here in Australia.

I am looking to make the switch to the VFR1200 as I currently own a 2011 MV Agusta F4, which I love, but at the ripe old age of 29, my body doesn't. In almost 2 years of ownership of the MV, I have put less than 6000kms on it. I want to ride more but not at the expense of feeling broken after it.

I will be honest, I initially hated the look of the VFR1200, but it has grown on me somewhat, and the bike seems to tick a lot of boxes.

• Power - I have only ever ridden litre sports bikes for the last 12 or so years - I need a good wad of power it is what I enjoy.
  • Torque - not something a litre bike has in the right places, but the VFR does
  • Comfortable seating position, this thing is like an arm chair in comparison to any of my sports bikes, especially my MV
  • Shaft drive - after 12 years of having to lube chains, this will be a welcome change
  • Honda build quality - need I really mention that?

I have not yet been able to ride one as none of the dealers have them in stock, but my dealer has one coming in June and I could simply sign up for it to secure it and have a clause on the contract that is pending a test ride..

I have been reading about fuelling issues, but these mainly seem to be around the 2010/2011 models, has this been fixed in the 2013? Are there any other issues?

If any one has any advice they would like to share, that would be appreciated.

I'd spout virtues of the VFR1200, but frankly if I were 29, I would stick with litre sports and not bother with Gentleman's sportbikes. These have a different set of compromises that I'm not sure I would've liked in my late 20s and early 30s. MVs are abit extreme as far as litre sports go, I would jump on an RSV4 Factory in aheartbeat if I were to get back on a litresport. Ohlins TTX36, NIX30, Brembo Monobloc, and light forged wheels and that glorious V4 add up a big bowl of Italian goodness. The '13 and later have clip ons that are raised a bit higher for rider comfort. In my younger self, I could easily sport tour on one with soft bags. That would be sport touring at its puest... with a real sport bike.

That said, if you have test ridden the Viffer Grande and are convinced it is for you, the '13 evidently have much less 1st and 2nd gear handicap compared to the earlier model years. Dynajohn posted a dyno chart ia recent thread here about it. Other than that and the addition of TC, there really aren't many other improvements. Trip computer, slightly larger tank, that's about it.

• Member Contributer

I'd spout virtues of the VFR1200, but frankly if I were 29, I would stick with litre sports and not bother with Gentleman's sportbikes.

Are you saying there's an age limit to being a gentleman? VFRs since 18, and I'm always glad to be back on one after testing other buddies bikes.

A bed of nails would probably be more comfortable to be on for an hour than the MV F4. What are you really looking for? What kind of riding? If you are just looking for a liter with some more comfort, then there are more comfortable sport bikes out there.

• Member Contributer

First things first, welcome to the forum.

The 1200 is a polarizing bike. Some love it, some hate it. I like mine just fine for most of the reasons you've stated. I was mid-30's when I got it and it was refreshing to have a bike I didn't feel I had to strangle to enjoy.

This thing has power... EVERYWHERE.

Shaft drive? Delightful.

Friendly ergos? Yes. Love that.

The brakes? They will pull you back so hard you'll have stopped sometime yesterday afternoon.

You can still wick it up in the twisties with the 1200, but it's a bit of a labor of love to do so. It is a lot of mass to flick, and you do feel it even though it's balanced well.

All told, I have really enjoyed mine. Planning on doing the suspension this month, so I'm sure I'll like it more. The suspension is soft for my weight... but that's my fault, not the bike's.

If it's any help... I worked in a <50 mile return clause when I bought mine... by the time I got home from the dealer I had several hundred miles. Loved it from the first turn.

I'd spout virtues of the VFR1200, but frankly if I were 29, I would stick with litre sports and not bother with Gentleman's sportbikes.

Are you saying there's an age limit to being a gentleman? VFRs since 18, and I'm always glad to be back on one after testing other buddies bikes.

Everybody is free to ride whatever they like. I'm simply saying youth has its privileges... and, of course, its foibles.

Thanks for the opinions everyone.

It is a hard thing switching from a litre sport, sports bikes have always appealed to me the most, so it is tough finding something else that appeals to me.

I should have added that I do have back, neck and shoulder issues due to various injuries over the years which don't help with the comfort of the MV, my brother gets on the MV and loves it, but he is in better shape than me, and he has just come off a 250cc restriction for his first year of riding, so really, he is going to love any bike with an extra cc..

I will most definitely test ride it - I would never buy a bike without doing so.

I was also thinking of a Kawasaki ZX14 or even possibly a Hyabusa (which IMO is a really ugly bike), I would buys Diavel in a heartbeat, but at 25K new and 20K secondhand there is no chance of that. I could get the ZX14 for a comparable price to the VFR, but at $17,990AUD ride away, it is a hard to beat the VFR on price.

Hey em, welcome to the forum. I'm a year older than you and 2 years into my 1200 ownership. All you really need to know about the 1200 is that I'm currently shopping for another bike -- naked/hooligan at the moment: S1000R, KTM 1290 Duke, Tuono V4R etc.

The VFR is a decent-looking girl who enjoys cooking and cleaning, dresses well, and has quiet confidence. She'll get a few looks in the mall, but no drooling or catcalls. A little extra weight on her, but hey, that's okay. Perfect for a long[/boring] marriage. No fighting, no freaky fun, no chaos. You'll never have the highs of a literbike or a supersport, but you'll never have the lows either. I find that at my age, I don't want a crazy bike with too much character anymore (wouldn't touch an F4 haha), but I do want the occasional kick in the ass. The 1200 doesn't do that for me. Maybe it'd be right when it was time to "settle down" (I hate that phrase) and have a couple kids, but that time's not now.

That said, it is a good bike. Just not a good bike for me. All opinions wrong or your money back.

• Member Contributer

If your plan is to ride a more mature bike with members who are advanced in their immaturity, then you are looking at the right bike and have come to the right place. I have a hard time believing anyone can ride a sportbike "all day" and make it home in comfort, regardless of age or physical condition. Several hours of pure twisty backroads, maybe. A fraction of an hour for several sessions at a track day, sure. Too stubborn to admit they are any less a man, without a doubt. Or maybe I am too old to remember the days of being pain free. Those of us less than superbike racers riding on public roads should find the VFR more than enough, with plenty of room to get into trouble. All while being comfy at a stoplight sitting behind a minivan, something we are all subject to doing on a public road.

Brian, thanks for your insight, that is the sort of information I am looking for.

I test rode an MV Agusta Brutale 800 and 1090RR. Oddly, the 1090RR was less exciting than the 800...I would buy the 800 but I'm a big guy and it feels a little small underneath me.

I was a big fan of the Honda Blackbird (my friend had one) which is why I was thinking the VFR1200 would be good.

I would buy the 800 but I'm a big guy and it feels a little small underneath me.

Ah, good info to know. I'm definitely not a big guy (6'1, 165lbs). That may make my opinion less valuable (if it had any value in the first place haha). I took a quick spin on the Brutale 675 and liked it, but the fueling was crap. I really like the FZ/MT-09 also. Turismo Veloce maybe? Multistrada?

• Member Contributer

Take a nice long test drive and you'll know.... I knew after a couple of miles.....it is the bike I want to see North America on. I have had my new leftover 2010 for two years now and for me it's perfect.....comfy enough to do 1000 mile days to get to the mountains and JUST sporty enough to really enjoy them once there. The fairing does an EXCELLENT job of routing the big V four heat away from the rider.....that was extremely important to me.....who wants to be BAKED like a potato all day.... The Honda is a very capable bit OF kit.....as they say in the UK.

• Member Contributer

I just bought a 2013 VFR 1200F without test riding it and am totally happy with it. I also own a 2010 MV F4 that I'm happy with and didn't test ride it either.

My philosophy has always been to buy the right bike for the right job. The F4 is for the track only and the VFR is for distance riding over 100 miles per trip only. I'm a fan of Italian engineering, but not when I'm far away from technical support.

I think F4 owners gravitate towards the VFR 1200 due to the similarity of the tank design.

The F4 is very comfortable to me with MV adjustable rearsets. The VFR is just right for my sport-bike mentality - not laid back too much, and not inches away from the windscreen.

• Member Contributer

Buy one before it is too late.

Insist on a prenub.....

:-)

post-8974-0-94930300-1396777080.jpg

• Member Contributer

The 1200 is a polarizing bike. Some love it, some hate it. I like mine just fine for most of the reasons you've stated. I was mid-30's when I got it and it was refreshing to have a bike I didn't feel I had to strangle to enjoy.

Shaft drive? Delightful.

The brakes? They will pull you back so hard you'll have stopped sometime yesterday afternoon.

You can still wick it up in the twisties with the 1200, but it's a bit of a labor of love to do so. It is a lot of mass to flick, and you do feel it even though it's balanced well.

All told, I have really enjoyed mine. Planning on doing the suspension this month, so I'm sure I'll like it more. The suspension is soft for my weight... but that's my fault, not the bike's.

If it's any help... I worked in a <50 mile return clause when I bought mine... by the time I got home from the dealer I had several hundred miles. Loved it from the first turn.

I have to agree with Jon on everything he stated above. The 1200 is truly a great machine. Just a little chubby especially for someone my size but she does great for me as long as I'm not trying to play like Rossi.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

Hi and welcome. I bought a 2013 VFR1200 in January and already put 4000miles on it. I've had CBR600's of various types for the last 14 years and my last bikes were a CBR600RR and a VFR800 VTEC. As part of my job I get to test ride lots of different bikes including the BMW S1000RR and S1000R. These are great bikes that handle and go very well but I'm in alot of dicomfort after doing a 10 mile test ride. I'm 36 and have problem with my shoulders, wrists and back due to health and injuries and find the VFR1200 very comfortable. It still has quite a sporty riding position without being extreme and not too upright that it causes problems with my back. After test riding other bikes, I really look forward to getting back onto mine. It's a great bike that goes really well. As for the fueling. For everyday riding you don't notice it on the 2013 bike. It does run smoother at lower revs if you run on 97 octane fuel. I thought I would miss my CBR600RR as this was my summer fun bike. But so far I haven't looked back.

Shaft drive? Delightful.

I have to agree with Jon on everything he stated above. The 1200 is truly a great machine. Just a little chubby especially for someone my size but she does great for me as long as I'm not trying to play like Rossi.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to the forum. The above pretty much sums it up concerning the VFR 1200. I have a 2012 ZX-14R as well as the 2013 VFR 1200F and a 2014 Yamaha FJR-1300ES. The ZX-14R is just as comftorble as my VFR 1200 with the addition of heli bars (really just a set of spacers that fit under the stock bars and raise them 3/4 inch). The 14R is a bunch faster than the VFR, is lighter, and handles better and stops quicker. It also has a sophisticated package of electronics including multi level traction control and 3 power modes that really work. At your age and considering what you have been riding I would suggest you wrangle a ride on both bikes before making a decision. Depends on your need for performance.

I did not experience any fueling issues on my 2013 VFR in any gear. The VFR is however power restricted in 1st & 2nd gear through the ECU programming which I could feel. The 2012 & 2013 VFR's are apparently less restricted than the 2010 & 1011 models. The VFR is also speed limited through the ECU to around 150 MPH. Stock rear wheel HP on the VFR 1200 is in the low 140's. The 1st & 2nd gear power restriction is easy & cheap to resolve with a Bazzaz z bomb if you don't mind your gear indicator reading 3rd gear when the bike is in 1st & 2nd gear.

I had a Blackbird and it was one of the best bikes I have owned, if you could find a well cared for example with low milage add it to your list of possibles.

Sorry to hear you are feeling the physical limitations that are inevitable at your age. I was 72 this March and believe me they don't get better with age.

Yeah I am about 5'9" but 130kgs. Hence why bikes with nice wide seats suit me haha

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

i'm 2" taller and 20lbs lighter, so we're built about the same, i think this bike is very comfortable, fits me very well ...don't wait to fix the suspension, i have the ohlins shock in the rear and it made a huge improvement....ohlins springs in front helped a lot but it needs to revalved also...but the handling has really tightened up.... i'm in my 50's and grew up racing dirt bikes but I still try hard to act your age !! and this bike is just right for me...

Awesome guys, thanks for the info.

I definitely need to go and ride one to see what it feels like. I hope the dealer still has it there at the weekend.

Dynajohn, that for the tip about the Helibar raisers for the ZX, I had seen them and wanted to know if they made a difference, if they make it almost as comfortable as the VFR, then the ZX will need another ride too.

I took the MV out last night as I haven't ridden in a few weeks.

After not riding it for a few weeks and considering new comfortable bikes, I was beginning to think "I knew I needed a confutable bike when I bought this, why did I go ahead and buy it?"

Then I road it and despite the discomfort, I remembered exactly why I bought it and now I am questioning if I should sell it!

Such a dilemma!

Then I road it and despite the discomfort, I remembered exactly why I bought it and now I am questioning if I should sell it!

Such a dilemma!

I'm in the same boat with my Speed Triple... Really liking the VFR though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome guys, thanks for the info.

I definitely need to go and ride one to see what it feels like. I hope the dealer still has it there at the weekend.

Dynajohn, that for the tip about the Helibar raisers for the ZX, I had seen them and wanted to know if they made a difference, if they make it almost as comfortable as the VFR, then the ZX will need another ride too.

I took the MV out last night as I haven't ridden in a few weeks.

After not riding it for a few weeks and considering new comfortable bikes, I was beginning to think "I knew I needed a confutable bike when I bought this, why did I go ahead and buy it?"

Such a dilemma!

A lot of us have multiple bikes precisely because of this. I would keep 12 bikes if I could afford it, but as is can only swing 2-3. No bike is perfect for every riding mode and task. VFR1200 is no different. Those who have been disappointed likely wanted it to be something it just isn't. It is an "in-between" bike that is a blend of sportbike and sport touring, but not exactly as great as a dedicated sportbike or sport touring rig can be. I know a lot of folks bought it as a do-it-all bike and are happy with it being such. You just need to be honest with yourself what you want to use it for. If the shoe fits, by all means get it.

I, too, am glad I have a Speed Triple R to reset my riding palate and let me appreciate the VFR1200 for what it does best every time I hop on it.

• Member Contributer

Don't wear formal shoes to gym class, and vice versa. You will be disappointed either way.

If the shoe fits, by all means get it.

• 2 months later...

I have been asking myself the same question the past week. Finally, pulled the trigger for a new one which should be in with the dealer next week in titanium with full panniers and top box. My intention is to commute on the bike and am sick and tired of cleaning and oiling chains on a weekly basis. I have been riding for a number of years and have mainly been riding sports bikes i.e. CBR600rr, CBR1000rr, S1000rr and now the 1199. This will replace my 1199 as a commuter and hopefully a lot more reliable and user friendly.

Took 2 test rides last week, back to back with the 2014 ninja 1000 and the K1300s. I would rate the Ninja number 1 as it felt much better in terms of power delivery and fueling but didn't quite like the looks. Handlebars also a little too high for my liking. The K1300s felt front heavy and wide up front. There was also considerable drive shunt from a standing start, very noticeable. The Honda, very smooth and easy to manoeuvre in tight corners but exhaust sounded very mute. Maybe I'm used to the sound of a howitzer from the 1199. It is also the noisiest in terms of wind noise.

Wasn't quite sure after the 1st test ride although I took it for a day so I requested another ride yesterday and sure enough I felt good on it and just signed the documents.

I know it is day and night compared to my 1199 but is more comfy, quieter and definitely better in terms of fuel consumption. During summer it would also be a much cooler bike to ride. Heat from the 1199 melted my rear hugger and lower fairing last summer.

Not sure why people hate its looks. I think it looks very futuristic especially the front and the fairings.

Archived