Should I Buy A 2013 Vfr1200?

Guest em563

• Member Contributer

VFR1200F is a great machine but I suspect you'd need to add Helibars to release the full comfort potential. Some work needs to be done to address low rpm fuelling as well, and these are all relatively simple to do. In my opinion this machine needs to be personalized a bit more than other bikes in the market but the rewards are very satisfiying of course.

I'd definitely take a good look at the ZX-14R as well as the Z1000SX. That machine (the SX) is a lot closer in weight and spirit to your MV (revvy but torquey inline four) and has a very comfortable seating position. It also has multi power modes and a very good TC system which some do not care for, but if you don't like it you can always switch it off. I believe the suspension is also more adjustable as well.

I'll chime in that a test ride is probably a mandatory idea, if possible. OTOH, with age, comes experience, and I also agree with other posters that there's probably not any one bike does it all solution, though even in my own case, I think the 2013 VFR1200 I'm buying this week COULD do that... I just don't think I'll be able to bring myself to separating from my 5th Gen VFR800 or my ST1300, which definitely have their uses... GF rides, too, but has more trouble understanding the multiple bike thing- but then, she only has two guitars, and I have over a dozen. :happy: So to each your own- maybe you should keep the MV, AND get the VFR, if finances permit. I'll concede they wouldn't have for me when I was your age.

It appears that most riders have multiple bikes. At any one time I have only ever owned 1 bike for all occasions on the basis that a bike sitting in the garage is not good. I think anything mechanical needs to have its internals working all the time to be more durable and reliable. Same goes for the electronic components. Are my thoughts right?

• Member Contributer

Yes. Bikes or automobiles or anything that has a motor in it, well it's not good to leave it sitting longer than a winter.

IMO, the VFR is probably the best do it all bike on the market today and for many years. If I can only have one, it will be a VFR.

I do like having 2 (I also have a scooter) as one is for sport touring, and one is a dedicated sportbike. Perfect combo.

This is my 4th VFR and I owned my first 2 in my 20s ... I road raced for 12 years on a range of bikes (NT 650, GSXR 600, 750, 1k, R1; mostly R6s, my favorite race bike) and grew up on dirt bikes.

For me V4s just push my buttons -- the best of both worlds of the grunty twins and screaming inline 4s.

I dismissed the 1200 when it first came out (pictures in the mags put me off, the extra weight above the 800s, fueling complaints, etc) but slowly warmed to it over time.

I'm certainly glad I waited since I paid 1/2 of MSRP for a lightly used example in showroom condition.

Over the past few months (and 5k miles) it's become my all time favorite bike. It has a rare character to it that seduces me every time I ride it. Can't imagine being without this bike as a daily commuter + distance sport tourer.

That said, I also have a dirt bike (KTM 450) and small dual sport bike (XT 250) as well, and really can't imagine having "just one".

I'm sure I could be happy on a similar bike (K1300S, for example) but the VFR has that certain something that just keeps me hooked.

...she's like that quiet brunette from science class that I ignored for a while who in the end rocked my world. ;)

Picked up my 2014 built titanium on Friday. Original panniers and top box is on order as well. Btw, also got a pair of Sena 20s. These are excellent. Very clear and easy to use.

Very happy with the ride so far, just need to get used to the smoothness and quietness. Riding position is ver comfy and grip is more than adequate for the Dunlops. Cannot wait till engine fully run in at 1000km. Should be much smoother then. Will keep you all updated on the progress.

Picked up my 2014 built titanium on Friday. Original panniers and top box is on order as well. Btw, also got a pair of Sena 20s. These are excellent. Very clear and easy to use.

Very happy with the ride so far, just need to get used to the smoothness and quietness. Riding position is ver comfy and grip is more than adequate for the Dunlops. Cannot wait till engine fully run in at 1000km. Should be much smoother then. Will keep you all updated on the progress.

Titanium is actually the color I'm leaning towards myself, but have not seen one (or hardly any pictures). Would it be possible to post up a few photos

I too am looking at the VFR 1200 and was wondering if you would give me an idea of what you paid for yours as I'm finding prices seam to vary quite a lot between the dealers

BTW I'm based in south west Sydney

Ride away at just over $21k with the panniers and topbox. I'm sure you'll get a better price in NSW since there are more dealers to choose from.

Ride away at just over $21k with the panniers and topbox. I'm sure you'll get a better price in NSW since there are more dealers to choose from.

Thanks for that, it gives me an idea of what to expect. Did you not go for the center stand, ?? Being in Canberra I would have bet you would have gone for the heated grips for sure.

Considering the previous bikes you have had I will be extremely interested in your thoughts on VFR after you get it run in, please let us know

No, didn't go for heated grips. Never had a bike with heated grips even in sub zero temperatures. Having said that, I have very good winter gloves. Although a little premature to provide an accurate review, I find that the engine is the smoothest of all other bikes I have had. This is throughout the entire rpm range. I find the suspension a little soft but brakes are pretty good. I'm surprised that the kerb weight is over 260kg. Definitely didn't feel that heavy even when stationary. Easy to chuck it through fast and tight corners. Will provide more updates as I run it in.

No, didn't go for heated grips. Never had a bike with heated grips even in sub zero temperatures. Having said that, I have very good winter gloves. Although a little premature to provide an accurate review, I find that the engine is the smoothest of all other bikes I have had. This is throughout the entire rpm range. I find the suspension a little soft but brakes are pretty good. I'm surprised that the kerb weight is over 260kg. Definitely didn't feel that heavy even when stationary. Easy to chuck it through fast and tight corners. Will provide more updates as I run it in.

Looking forward to the updates, particularly on how seamless the traction control is. I would guess it will be pretty primitive compared to whats on your Ducati.

I rode a BMW GS once, the T/C was that abrupt / crude it was capable of causing an accident all on its own

Looking forward to the updates, particularly on how seamless the traction control is. I would guess it will be pretty primitive compared to whats on your Ducati.

I rode a BMW GS once, the T/C was that abrupt / crude it was capable of causing an accident all on its own

The TC is smooth on mine..so far. It's only really come into action on loose surfaces and so on but there's no drama or jerkiness or anything, it simply cuts the power and the light comes on all nice and smoothly. I'll report back if I find anything else in the wet and so on.

Archived