Different Ways To Lighten The Vfr800.

Mikesmini080877

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Okay in that case I am going to buy a spare to keep under the seat for additional weight savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And simply add..........

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC0.A0.Xdecal+yamaha+r1&_nkw=decal+yamaha+r1&_sacat=0&_from=R40

for extra weight savings!!!

:goofy:

• 4 weeks later...

Yay, ive managed to spend some time in the garage to do the brake delink/upgrade and the rear end is done. Modified cbr600f4 brake master cylinder fitted with both rear caliper lines used so it looks factory fresh to the untrained eyes. Bled the system in just a few minutes with a mity vac. Firm pedal. Vtr fork bottoms are painted with Mello Dudes fender adapters fitted. I'll have the forks together tomorrow and in the bike with the front wheel on and calipers fitted as well. I can then measure for brake lines and order. Getting excited now.

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

• Member Contributer

Yay, ive managed to spend some time in the garage to do the brake delink/upgrade and the rear end is done. Modified cbr600f4 brake master cylinder fitted with both rear caliper lines used so it looks factory fresh to the untrained eyes. Bled the system in just a few minutes with a mity vac. Firm pedal. Vtr fork bottoms are painted with Mello Dudes fender adapters fitted. I'll have the forks together tomorrow and in the bike with the front wheel on and calipers fitted as well. I can then measure for brake lines and order. Getting excited now.

Pic's please ......

Pic's please ......

Pics tomorrow once the forks are together and in.

• Member Contributer

Pic's please ......

Pics tomorrow once the forks are together and in.

10-4 Thanks

• Member Contributer

Does anyone know the weight of the 5th gen subframe?

I don't have an exact figure but it is lighter than you might think. I adapted a Ducati 848/1098/1198 subframe thinking it would be much lighter but they are surprisingly comparable when they're both naked. It is the tail light, seat, and plastic etc that are heavier.

I currently have the stock vfr pass pegs, undertray, and subframe in a box in the garage and I'd venture to say it is less than 15lbs for sure. Ill see if I can get an exact figure later.

WelI,...My Staintune high right pipe is something like half of what the OEM can weighed, so that about seven/eight pounds off easy.

I took off my center stand ages ago an must have saved something like three pounds doing that....then I thought to myself, when the heck did I ever have to take off the rear wheel on the bike riding it out there..... NEVER!.... So I banished the lug wrench and the straight bar from under the seat and save maybe a couple more pounds. Took off the snorkle, trimmed the rear fender and got rid of most reflectors and even the small plastic cap on the rear axle end, so that something like a pound and a half. Changed out the shifter arm to a 5th gen cast aluminum one from steel..... Hey!.... its mostly free and easy mods (except for the Staintune and the shifter), if anything else...

I'm thinking maybe I don't need everything in the tool kit, so some of the stuff in it might be next....

I think All these can be done on an 800 too!

here are the painted vtr fork bottoms awaiting the vfr tubes. cbr954 calipers cleaned and checked with new genuine pads fitted. Fender adapters from Mello Dude fitted as well.

Twin brake lines connected to the cbr600f4 rear master cylinder.

cbr600f4i brake master fitted and awaiting some new braided lines. its a 5/8 bore (16mm) when I really need a 11/16 (17mm) sized one but will see if I like the feel and stopping with this one first.

post-28768-0-37613800-1391040206.jpg

post-28768-0-85380700-1391040271.jpg

post-28768-0-96770000-1391040303.jpg

Awesome stuff! What are you going to do with the fork spring and fluid weight? Heavier or stock. I went way heavy on my R1 fork and love it. I'm running a 1k race tech spring and 7w bell ray fluid. (Up from the stock R1 0.9K spring and 0 weight fluid).

I weighed my sixth gen and I am at 460 pounds ready to ride with one gallon in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CandyRedRC46, I already have .95kg racetech springs in it so will be using them as they work fine and I had belray 7w in them when I changed the fork oil last time but Jamie the suspension dude on here said to use 5w so I just bought some Motul 5W from the shop and will see if I notice any difference.

• Member Contributer

What am I missing here? Why two lines to the rear?

The choice is --- two lines to the rear, double banjo bolted off the master cylinder and then routed to the caliper, or, one line off the master cylinder to the rear and a small bridge line between the center piston and the outer two piston circuit on the caliper.

Its a personal taste item thing and not a one is better than the other kinda thing.

- I'm running the bridge line setup. (I may be wrong, but I think I'm the first guy to do this.)

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: forks together with the same .95kgs racetech springs and 5w motul oil. fitted up to bike and calipers fitted nicely. I had to space the calipers out by one washer of 2mm in thickness to centre them to my liking. waiting to pick up some braided lines tomorrow, venhill brand since they come in all different lengths and end fittings that screw on so then there is no chance of the lines being twisted at all when fitted up to the bike. I used compressed air to blow the pads against the discs for now. nearly there. should be done tomorrow and ready for a ride. my only concern is I should be running a 11/16 master cylinder and I bought a 5/8 one instead off an earlier cbr600f4 instead of the cbr600rr of 2004 onwards.

post-28768-0-20206400-1391060691.jpg

post-28768-0-37376100-1391060915.jpg

• Member Contributer

Very nice!!!!!

Not sure of the question based on the wording.

Use the RR master or the F4 master?

sounds like he is regrettably using the smaller F4 master

Archived