Different Ways To Lighten The Vfr800.

Mikesmini080877

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The blue bike with the Norton style honda writing I built is a 1972 cb350/4 mello dude.

I used a new 400/4 tank and side covers as i liked the shape better. I wouldn't mind building a 750/4 one day but they are soo expensive to buy in Australia.

this is what I do in my spare time when im not riding or working at a proper job. all Hondas built from wrecks, ride for a couple of months and sell on to new happy buyers who like this kind of scene here in Sydney Australia. cb200's, 1972 cb350/4, 1973 cb250k4 that I cant find a pic of at the moment and ive found some pics of my old 1997 vfr750 lapis blue in colour. hope you like them

The Sydney hipster tax.

this is what I do in my spare time when im not riding or working at a proper job. all Hondas built from wrecks, ride for a couple of months and sell on to new happy buyers who like this kind of scene here in Sydney Australia. cb200's, 1972 cb350/4, 1973 cb250k4 that I cant find a pic of at the moment and ive found some pics of my old 1997 vfr750 lapis blue in colour. hope you like them

The Sydney hipster tax.

Keef, I'm hearing you. I've been building these as a hobby for 6 years before the current scene has taken off and every man and his dog are building bloody sr400/500's now. I like building the old genuine articles and not trying to make a newer bike look old like a lot of them do though. The prices people are paying for these old little bikes is stupid to be honest with you but whilst the hipsters are willing to part with there money then I'm happy to take it off them. I don't churn the bikes out though like the shops, I just wait for the right bike and if I feel like it then grab it and build something.

In Sydney, there is a growing "pre made" cafe racer scene ( like bikes made by Deus Ex Machina) at the moment, as well as the build your own guys.

A lot of the bikes are now learner legal, so learner riders who aren't teenagers anymore and have a bit of cash can buy their piece of individuality.

There is a Deus Yamaha sr400 for sale on bike sales.com.au at the moment for a bit under $10,000, apparently the new price was $20,000.

Dannytb: its a hobby i enjoy that earns me some extra cash. I don't sell them for the prices the big custom cafe racer shops in Sydney sell them for. Deus ex machina charge some crazy prices but I suppose if people are willing to pay it then good on them. I can generally make $3-4 grand profit per bike but like I said I will only build the genuine old bikes which are getting harder to find every day and also without a dealers license i can only sell legally 4 bikes per year.

Keef; the people who buy the bikes from deus take such a huge hit when they sell since they pay over the odds for them to begin with. Harley from rb racing builds and sells decent sr's for much more sensible prices.

Harley built my big bore 1196cc, 1988 model gsxr 7/11 motor, and tuned it with the 91 model 750 carbs, brilliant mechanic, great guy. He also fitted the gsxr front end and ninja seat to my Vfr for me.

Didn't know he did sr's, but not that surprising.

Keef: rb racing actually build decent sr's even though they're not my kind of bike. Harley sticks twin disc front ends on them from Yamaha fzr250's and some other good stuff. If I was a hipster wanting to buy an sr then I would buy one off RB racing and not deus ex machina. Harley and geoff sell them for between $7-8000.

i would kill for a 2004-2006 R1 rear end on my bike. i think it would really match well and i think the subframe weighs 4.4 pounds vs the 6th gen's 28 pounds.....

Yes I have the regulator/rectifier model number FH020AA, which is OEM on the new Yamaha motorcycles like the New R1.
I have had it on the bike for a while now, it holds voltage rock solid and stays cool, never hot.
Plus since it was on a R1 it adds like 20 whp.
http://www.roadstercycle.com/

Unfortunately I don't believe it makes the bike any lighter.....

Yes I have the regulator/rectifier model number FH020AA, which is OEM on the new Yamaha motorcycles like the New R1. 

I have had it on the bike for a while now, it holds voltage rock solid and stays cool, never hot. 

Plus since it was on a R1 it adds like 20 whp.

http://www.roadstercycle.com/

Unfortunately I don't believe it makes the bike any lighter.....

But surely it makes the bike 20kg lighter... It's off an R1! ;)

Archived