Different Ways To Lighten The Vfr800.

Mikesmini080877

I was wondering what if anyone has done to try to significantly reduce the weight of their 5th gen vfr800. I've seen on different posts that the subframe weighs approx 8kgs and looks simple in design so was thinking if one was made out of aluminium or similar that a few kgs could be saved. Lithium battery would save maybe 2kgs, exhaust about 2-4kgs depending on type. Basically I was interested in trying to get the dry weight of the bike down by 10-15kgs or there abouts without going overboard with exotic and expensive materials. I'm delinking the brakes in the next couple of months as I've now collected the vtr lower legs, cbr954 calipers, suitable master cylinders etc, so I think there will be a small saving in weight from removing all the plumbing, valves and brackets.

Welcome your thoughts.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

- The brake delink saves around 6 1/2 pounds. Just look at all the cast iron that drops off the front, plus plumbing, proportional valve, and a single line rear brake hose.

- My battery weighs 1.6 pound vs 8 pounds on the stocker,

- The carbon pipe is 4 pounds if your lucky.

- A passenger peg and bracket delete would be easy about 3 pounds

- Yeah, I have heard the steel subframe weighs 11 pounds.

- You could trade the weighed rider pegs for a pound.

- Drill holes....

So, lesse - 6.5 (brakes) + 6.4(battery) + 9(exhaust) + 3 (pass peg/brackets) + 1( pegs) + 6 (subframe in AL) = 31.9 pounds (14.4 kg) deleted - that's the easy stuff. (its an approximation gang..) (Well the subframe is tricky)

Wheels - an F4i wheel is lighter by a pound or 2, some guru on here will know and its a "bolt" on. -- But the rear? Holy.....

There's other stuff that I am not thinking of for the moment, but anymore you start spending some serious money

Mohawks bike is probly the best example -

(I would love to know the weigh of his, minus the stebel horn and rear pegs/brackets)

Thanks mello dude. I might start weighing the stuff I take off from now as I'm probably half way there already without realising it. I received your fender adapter brackets just after I responded to your earlier post. Cheers they look great.

Vfrcapn. I only weigh 85kgs and am 5,10 so losing weight isn't an option. Just thought I would put it out there incase anyone has done stuff apart from the obvious in regards to making the bike lighter than it should be. Being brought up on a diet of high powered sportsbikes and sports tourers I find I'm always missing the 20-30hp the vfr lacks as well as the torque so reducing the weight as much as feasibly possible could be an option. I had 4 vfr's so it's not like I'm not used to them but you miss the grunt of say suzuki bandit 1250's and zzr1100's let alone the pure sports stuff.

Ive got a ducati 1098s forged alloy rear wheel that weighs about 3.5 kgs, and a cast 848 front that is also a fair bit lighter than the original Vfr wheel.

Also a single front mount rad, less pipe work, less coolant needed, and slightly smaller, and a smaller lighter fan.

Smaller, lighter battery as well, not lithium, just a motobatt, but smaller and lighter.

Although stripping all the fairings off probably saved the most weight.

Daniel Paul. Love the wheels. I have seriously thought about spending the money on a set of those wheels as you would have a very unique vfr800 with them. Googled them and they are bloody nice as well as reducing the weight in the right area of the bike to help handling, braking and acceleration.

Keef, since you are in Sydney i might have to meet up and check out your ducati wheel setup. Would be cheaper than the other wheels. I'm just recovering from a back operation at the moment but if I could check out your vfr one day soon then that would be much appreciated.

• Member Contributer

Catalytic converter, abs, passenger foot pegs, centre stand, that would be all I can think about for the easy and cheap stuff. The rest, as far as I know, would get more expensive or complicated (as you said, subframe, wheels, etc.).

A friend on mine removed about 30lbs, but he said that at the end, although it was more fun to ride, it was still a VFR. Just saying, it will never be a CBR.

Good luck and keep us updated on the progress.

C

• Member Contributer

The stock headlights have to be quite heavy. I saw a builder overseas substitute out the bodywork for race bodywork from an RC 51. This wont be easy but it looks way cool and with a small projector beam has to be quite a bit lighter than stock.

Google " Honda VFR 800 Bioblade" and you will find the bike and see what I am talking about.

• Member Contributer

Carrozzeria wheels... no other mod compares.

post-8426-0-78205800-1369164743.jpg

I think my BST carbon wheels top that :)

Wheels, brakes & a few choice Ti bolts etc saved 4Kg off the front unsprung weight & 6.5Kg off the rear.

10A/hr LiFe battery saved 3Kg.

Deleting the pair system, flapper valves/de-snorkel loses 1Kg

Delinking the brakes saves 1.5Kg

The subframe is not heavy @ circa 3.5Kg & you might save 1.5-2Kg with an alloy replacement, but only good for racing. If you carry a passenger, don't bother.

Header pipes/de-cat is good for 3-4Kg, & silencer is worth another 3-4Kg.

I've lost 30Kg off mine :)

Carrozzeria wheels... no other mod compares.post-8426-0-78205800-1369164743.jpg

I think my BST carbon wheels top that :)

Wheels, brakes & a few choice Ti bolts etc saved 4Kg off the front unsprung weight & 6.5Kg off the rear.

10A/hr LiFe battery saved 3Kg.

Deleting the pair system, flapper valves/de-snorkel loses 1Kg

Delinking the brakes saves 1.5Kg

The subframe is not heavy @ circa 3.5Kg & you might save 1.5-2Kg with an alloy replacement, but only good for racing. If you carry a passenger, don't bother.

Header pipes/de-cat is good for 3-4Kg, & silencer is worth another 3-4Kg.

Thanks Mohawk , that's the info I was after. I know it will always be a VFR and I accept that hence I've had 1 1997 vfr750 and 3 5th gen vfr800's so something draws me back to them each time I drift away to more powerful or sportier bikes but they need to go on a diet which ever model you have so just thought I would ask what people have done. I'm not going to waste stupid money on exotic stuff but just remove the shit that isn't really needed. The only thing I may consider if funds are free when I go back to work would be some cool wheels (most expensive upgrade of course) but time will tell. I've got the parts for the brake delink/upgrade, runs a highrise staintune pipe, pair/snorkel is gone already, If I can find a set of non cat header pipes then that would be a win. Centre stand is handy but I have a paddock stand so that can go. 10-15kgs will just make it easier and less tiring to chuck around in the corners. Cheers people

Daniel Paul. Love the wheels. I have seriously thought about spending the money on a set of those wheels as you would have a very unique vfr800 with them. Googled them and they are bloody nice as well as reducing the weight in the right area of the bike to help handling, braking and acceleration.

Keef, since you are in Sydney i might have to meet up and check out your ducati wheel setup. Would be cheaper than the other wheels. I'm just recovering from a back operation at the moment but if I could check out your vfr one day soon then that would be much appreciated.

Have a look through my vfr8 streetfighter thread, it goes through what i've done. It's no where near as pretty as mohawks, mines a lot rougher at the moment. Reading his thread showed me what could be done to a vfr, and helped me get stuck in.

The pair of wheels cost me $600 delivered from motorcycle masters in WA a few years ago, about $400 in ducati bits off ebay, and then some spacers and time from Ben at extreme creations in brookvale. everything on the web made the single nut rear wheel conversion seem hard, ended up fairly easy. Ben made me some carbon centred front rotors that i used to run on my GSXR 7/11 with carozzeria wheels. Feather light wheels with feather light brakes, best mod i ever did to that bike.

PM me when you'd like to have a look and we'll figure something out.

And buy a set of delkevic SS headers, cheap and easy to remove the cat converter.

• Member Contributer

Carrozzeria wheels... no other mod compares.

I'm curious, what is the current weight? I've done some mods to my '99 and am at just over 500lb. (227kg). About 47/53 f/r.

This guy got under 400lb, someone may have the link to his build thread.

gallery_668_420_205372.jpg

Wheels...

2005_01_29_bikepics-281837-full_zps87a8c

Have a look through my vfr8 streetfighter thread, it goes through what i've done. It's no where near as pretty as mohawks, mines a lot rougher at the moment. Reading his thread showed me what could be done to a vfr, and helped me get stuck in.

The pair of wheels cost me $600 delivered from motorcycle masters in WA a few years ago, about $400 in ducati bits off ebay, and then some spacers and time from Ben at extreme creations in brookvale. everything on the web made the single nut rear wheel conversion seem hard, ended up fairly easy. Ben made me some carbon centred front rotors that i used to run on my GSXR 7/11 with carozzeria wheels. Feather light wheels with feather light brakes, best mod i ever did to that bike.

PM me when you'd like to have a look and we'll figure something out.

And buy a set of delkevic SS headers, cheap and easy to remove the cat converter.

Thanks keef, will check out your thread. Ben shaw is the man when it comes to top quality stuff that's for sure. I've seen the delkevic ss headers on ebay so will get a set. The ducati wheels would be a top addition and look great so I'll do the other stuff first and then I think that could be the go at the End. Cheers for the help.

• Member Contributer

I had a set on my old VTR... loved them. It made the bike almost feel like a 650 (weight-wise) by comparison.

P1020391.jpg

• Member Contributer

Current weight for my bike with a full tank of fuel is 215Kg.

Lost 30Kg, but bolted on another 2Kg.

If I rode solo all the time, then I'd lose the centre stand, passenger pegs & lose 2-3kg in the process :)

Don't forget to ditch the evap canister, if you guys have those on the 5th gen. Also a 520 chain conversion kit coupled with a one tooth smaller front sprocket makes a huge difference. I have a motad header up for grabs if anyone wants it.

I am doing the brake delink right now with R1 forks/wheel/brakes, cbr triples and wow what a pain in the ass. The wheels weigh exactly the same and so do the forks, but there is definitely at least 6.5 pounds and a couple hundred feet of brake lines, extra master cylinders and proportioning valves etc to remove. Next I really need to do something about my subframe.

• Member Contributer

I did a 525 chain conversion & 1 tooth smaller front sprocket. 520 is fine for solo use, but takes a beating on alloy rear sprockets with 2 up or long haul use.

I'm sure you'll post up the R1 front end job, you will be amazed at the extra braking you were missing ;)

Archived