Different Ways To Lighten The Vfr800.

Mikesmini080877

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I'd like to correct the impression that VFR800FI linked brakes are inferior. MCN publishes top ten statistics for several measurements. For 60 > 0 mph stopping distances, VFR800FIs are in the top 10 at ~ 108.x ft. Most mc magazines consider numbers around 120 ft. to be great. There have been several instances when I thought I'd be eating the bumper of the emergency-braking vehicle in front of me when I subsequently found that I had several feet to spare.

While these numbers are achieved by experts and I'm positive I'd never achieve them, relatively speaking, I have much confidence in the brakes of my '01 s.

If I parked that bike overnight anyplace, it would only be with an armed guard and a Rottweiler standing next to it. :ph34r: That is absolutely beautiful work.

Thou Shat Not leave Me Bike unattended...attachicon.gifRobVeeferMrRC45.jpg

Or random Canadians in Silly Hats might caress it. :goofy:

I'd like to correct the impression that VFR800FI linked brakes are inferior. MCN publishes top ten statistics for several measurements. For 60 > 0 mph stopping distances, VFR800FIs are in the top 10 at ~ 108.x ft. Most mc magazines consider numbers around 120 ft. to be great. There have been several instances when I thought I'd be eating the bumper of the emergency-braking vehicle in front of me when I subsequently found that I had several feet to spare.

While these numbers are achieved by experts and I'm positive I'd never achieve them, relatively speaking, I have much confidence in the brakes of my '01 s.

You'll need 'em for the Deer Slalom and Brake competition.

• Member Contributer

You'll need 'em for the Deer Slalom and Brake competition.

That competition is very high-level. But first one must be able to see them. I'd love to know if I even was able to start braking. But the evidence points to "No Hope". Alas, all knowledge of what happened was lost in the concussion.

Keep your eyes open!

• Member Contributer

One piece kickstand? If so, I could see $500, but then I don't see why you wouldn't weld the foot on and save some annoying setups.

Two piece... the foot is bolted on...

Good job, fixing what honda should have done in the first place. I'm looking forward to my brake delink and upgrade.

its nothing to look forward to, its a real pain in the ass lol. i had to unbolt the subframe to get the proportioning valves out. and the little frame that they are secured to is nearly impossible to get to.

I'm feeling confident. I'm a mechanic who has built numerous cafe racers in the last 5 yrs as well as quite a few old cars. Pulling things to pieces and working in the confined spaces of modern engine bays for years has me pretty accustomed to this sort of stuff. Diagnosing and repairing modern cars has got to be more of a pain in the arse then this job. Time will tell. ...or famous last words.

• Member Contributer

Good job, fixing what honda should have done in the first place. I'm looking forward to my brake delink and upgrade.

its nothing to look forward to, its a real pain in the ass lol. i had to unbolt the subframe to get the proportioning valves out. and the little frame that they are secured to is nearly impossible to get to.

I had none of those issues. Before I knew it there was a pile of crap on the floor that I never will use again. Get the CBR1000RR COP's at the same time and do it all in an afternoon. If you also get the CBR1000RR harness you can match up the colors on the wires, solder, plug them in and done. Add the coils to the pile on the floor that you will never use.Install the Pair plates too, add to pile, all same day. Done.

• Member Contributer

C

Whilst I've seen that news before & believe it to be correct, I could never reconcile it on my bike. I did a race School on CBR600RR's before I ditched the CBS on mine, as the bike felt so weak on the brakes after the CBR & never seemed to match my previous CBR600F4's performance. I did notice a huge difference if you used the rear brake pedal with some power, but on the front alone it was not great. It now feels much more powerful with my new setup.

That said this is the latest copy of the MCN tests I could find http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/2012JanPerfIndx.pdf it shows the VFR800Fi as joint 6th ! In the all time braking stakes up to early 2012 ! Go figure.

And living proof that Radial brakes are just fashion items ! :)

• Member Contributer

C

That said this is the latest copy of the MCN tests I could find http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/2012JanPerfIndx.pdf it shows the VFR800Fi as joint 6th ! In the all time braking stakes up to early 2012 ! Go figure.

And living proof that Radial brakes are just fashion items ! :)

I get a good chuckle when I look at that report... 'cause you know the bike that came in 4th? My fat ass 700 pound Valkyrie. Nothing special about the tech on the brakes on that one. The front are classic two pot pin sliders and same for the rear brake. Completely separate system.

my thing with wanting to delink them is due to how I ride and I want control over where the brake fluid gets pumped. im sure these figures are correct but I don't find them powerful. The brakes require a firm pull to get decent stopping power and before anyone asks if my brakes are in good order, they are. once my cbr954 calipers go on I bet the required pull on the lever will be less for the same stopping power and I can solely use the rear brake during cornering if desired.

its either delink or I think ill go for a bike change as I really dislike them that much.

I have a cbr600rr 2004 front brake master Cylinder. Its 5/8 bore size should work fine and it matches the clutch master Cylinder in being an integrated type, no piss cup. I saw in another post that someone else used the same caliper/master setup and is really happy with the performance. I've got new wave discs to go on. Genuine honda pads to go with the 954 calipers. Rear master is a 14mm bore type from a cbr600f4i. Rear wave disc going on just to match the front. Once all is mounted I'll measure for some braided lines from HEL who are just in Queensland Australia.

Love your street fighter vfr by the way.

I had none of those issues. Before I knew it there was a pile of crap on the floor that I never will use again. Get the CBR1000RR COP's at the same time and do it all in an afternoon. If you also get the CBR1000RR harness you can match up the colors on the wires, solder, plug them in and done. Add the coils to the pile on the floor that you will never use.Install the Pair plates too, add to pile, all same day. Done.

mine is a 6th gen which has a different system. the 5th gens may be less intricate and/or packed in there, but i am not really sure.

just recovering from a big back operation so once I feel ok to get stuck into it I will post pics as I go along. it will basically be the same as what mello dude did with his. infact the fender adapters came from the nice bloke himself.

yeah back surgery due to a dickhead car driver who nearly took my life back in april 2008. Im on a main Rd and the car driver pulls out of a side street at speed through a line of traffic into me pushing me into a parked car as well as being hit by the offending car. I was doing 55kph only in a 60 kph zone (police verified). I broke 7 vertebrae in my back (T6-T12), my c6 in my neck, 3 ribs, left shoulder injury, cuts and a 15mm tear in my left carotid artery. My wife was a week over due with our first child to make matters worse. I was critical and sent to I.C.U where I stayed in an induced coma for a few days until the carotid artery was repaired by surgery. I came out of I.C.U and into a ward the night before my poor wife gave birth to my son called Cooper. Since that day ive had 3 more major back operations all involving being opened right down the centre of my back (30cm cut) to fuse half my spine together with screws and rods and grafts. Last yr they removed all screws and rods due to complications with them. 12 days ago they opened me up again to put 6 screws and rods back in to hold the T8-T10 together again and remove bone that has been trapping nerves. The back looks a bit butchered nowadays and its early days since the operation (7th dec 2013) but im confident that this one will help minimise the constant pain. I was bitter for a long time but not anymore as im still here for my wife and son. I can walk but cant really run. I still love riding as ive been doing it from a young age and I remember in hospital having conversations with the staff about who rode and what. Such is life I suppose and you have to deal with whats thrown your way.

• Member Contributer

yeah back surgery due to a dickhead car driver who nearly took my life back in april 2008. Im on a main Rd and the car driver pulls out of a side street at speed through a line of traffic into me pushing me into a parked car as well as being hit by the offending car. I was doing 55kph only in a 60 kph zone (police verified). I broke 7 vertebrae in my back (T6-T12), my c6 in my neck, 3 ribs, left shoulder injury, cuts and a 15mm tear in my left carotid artery. My wife was a week over due with our first child to make matters worse. I was critical and sent to I.C.U where I stayed in an induced coma for a few days until the carotid artery was repaired by surgery. I came out of I.C.U and into a ward the night before my poor wife gave birth to my son called Cooper. Since that day ive had 3 more major back operations all involving being opened right down the centre of my back (30cm cut) to fuse half my spine together with screws and rods and grafts. Last yr they removed all screws and rods due to complications with them. 12 days ago they opened me up again to put 6 screws and rods back in to hold the T8-T10 together again and remove bone that has been trapping nerves. The back looks a bit butchered nowadays and its early days since the operation (7th dec 2013) but im confident that this one will help minimise the constant pain. I was bitter for a long time but not anymore as im still here for my wife and son. I can walk but cant really run. I still love riding as ive been doing it from a young age and I remember in hospital having conversations with the staff about who rode and what. Such is life I suppose and you have to deal with whats thrown your way.

There's a word for that "Courage" . Congrats for the new baby boy ..

There's a word for that "Courage" . Congrats for the new baby boy ..

Cheers but you either sink or swim in these shitty situations and with a family I wasn't ready to give up, besides there is too much riding to be had and my now 5 yr old likes to sit on the bike and toot the horn which for some strange reason he finds hilarious.

IM STARTING TO FEEL BETTER FROM MY BACK SURGERY AND BORED AS HELL SO I THINK NEXT WEEK I WILL START THE BRAKE UPGRADE/DELINK ON MY BIKE. THESE ARE THE PARTS COLLECTED TO DO THE JOB WITH ONLY THE BRAKE LINES TO ORDER ONCE EVERYTHING IS FITTED UP SO I CAN MEASURE THE LENGTH LINES I NEED.

VTR1000 FORK BOTTOMS THAT WILL NEED A CLEAN UP AND PAINT, CBR954 CALIPERS, GENUINE BRAKE PADS, NEW WAVE DISCS FOR THE FRONT AND BACK, CBR600RR 5/8 BORE FRONT BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER, 14MM BORE CBR600F4i REAR BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER. NEW FORK BUSHES AND SEALS, VFRD MEMBER MELLO DUDE'S FENDER ADAPTERS.

DUE TO THE BACK PAIN ILL JUST TAKE MY TIME AS I CANT RIDE FOR ANOTHER 4-6 WEEKS ANYWAY SO I NEED SOMETHING TO KEEP ME OCCUPIED.

I'LL POST PROGRESS PICS

CHEERS

post-28768-0-70849600-1388289151.jpg

post-28768-0-58015400-1388289202.jpg

post-28768-0-54866900-1388289254.jpg

Thanks switchblade, glad to be up and moving and the pain killers are pretty good as well. half a back full of titanium now.

no extra forks needed thanks as when im not riding im building a few old Honda café racer style bikes as well. ill post some pics.

this is what I do in my spare time when im not riding or working at a proper job. all Hondas built from wrecks, ride for a couple of months and sell on to new happy buyers who like this kind of scene here in Sydney Australia. cb200's, 1972 cb350/4, 1973 cb250k4 that I cant find a pic of at the moment and ive found some pics of my old 1997 vfr750 lapis blue in colour. hope you like them

post-28768-0-81198200-1388292787.jpg

post-28768-0-53091700-1388292868.jpg

post-28768-0-77390800-1388292975.jpg

post-28768-0-29531800-1388293307.jpg

Archived