Thinking About Trading My Bmw K1200R For A 2010 Vfr 1200F

Guest OakVFR

Thinking about trading my mint condition 2006 BMW K1200R in on a 2010 VFR 1200F. Love the K bike but I want something a little bit better on the highway.

The only issue is the VFR has been dropped while parked on the left side...I looked up parts and it looks like swapping the two scratched up parts will be around 500...The dealer is willing to sell it for 8400 as is.

How tough are the fairings to take off and swap out??

Also, anything I need to look for? It only has 2000 miles on it...can anybody look up service history on it? the last 6 of the vin are 000606.

Here are some pics of the damage...

post-28830-0-70537400-1386636588.jpg

post-28830-0-09793800-1386636616.jpg

Left side faring removal is easy peasy... There are a couple how-to videos the go through the steps.

I'd check for a cracked panel on the right side of the bike near the back of the seat. I'd also exercise the rear preload adjuster and make sure it's not frozen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

That's not too bad a price... especially considering the mileage.

Any aftermarket bits would help me feel better about it. If I was to list my '10 for sale, it would be close to that number. (no damage though... many more miles.)

Your question should be whether or not the "visible" damage might be indicative of some other "invisible" damage caused by the same tip over. From what I can see, this was a static tip-over, so any internal injury is unlikely. Do check the mirrors, handle bar ends, foot pegs and engine side cases, as well. Any price allowance should only be some fraction of the replacement parts cost, as the slightly marred pieces do still have some value. $8400 would be a bit high if this were a private sale. Dealers might be able to package other bennies (low financing rates, etc.), so it depends. At the end of the day, it's what you are willing to fork over.

BTW, I test rode an '07 K1200RS, which is the half-fairing cousin to the R. Very nice package, and felt lighter at parking lot speed, probably due to the higher and wider bars. VFR1200 feels like a proper sporbike in comparison - tighter, better feedback, and more engaging. I think you'll like it.

The bar end on the one side has a very light scar on it...I will check the mirrors when I go Friday for a final look. Engine case and everything else looked good...

The BMW is a great bike but I miss my Honda Blackbird and hope this is as good as that bike was...

I've had some personal experience with bmw cars and bikes. My take away is that once they are out of warrantee the cost of ownership is very high. Certain potential catastrophic failures with their bikes preclude me from owning another.

Good fortune, R3~

The BMW is a great bike but I miss my Honda Blackbird and hope this is as good as that bike was...

A good friend of mine rides a 'Bird. We ride each other's bikes occasionally. The XX is one classic machine that has aged very well over the years. It's handling and ergos bear remarkable resemblance to the VFR1200, with the XX being just a tad sportier. The engine power characteristics are also smoother and more linear. But I do still prefer the overall packaging of the V4.

I have always considered VFR1200 the successor to the XX, much more so than the "7th gen VFR" that everybody seem to consider it.

ok gang...going friday to buy the bike....

what's up with this Bazzaz z-bomb deal...I need to see if my bike already has it, but if not where do i order it? how can i check to see if I have one??

• Member Contributer

If the shifter display shows 3,3,3,4,5,6 it's got the z-bomb. Essentially, it just shows third gear in 1st and 2nd in order to fake out the fuel mapping.

Makes things MUCH smoother. Trust me. While I didn't get the plug and play z-bomb, I DID dig in to the wiring harness and solder the appropriate wires up. Helped immensely with low RPM fueling (<5k RPM) in 1st and 2nd. Frustratingly, the gear indicator is now pretty useless, but it's worth it. As stock, the bike really whacks the power around 4k RPM and I hated feeling that burst of power mid-corner (almost always on some oil, sand, tar or something) and makes it wayyyy more linear in delivery. Much easier to manage.

i found the lag in 1st and 2nd gear power downright dangerous in NYC traffic,...with the z bomb,it kicks taxicab ass

• Member Contributer

The Zbomb will be the best dollar you spend on the VFR, yes you have the problem with the gear display, but you still have the neutral light, and that's the main thing, who needs a gear indicator anyway.

• Member Contributer

I wouldn't care about a gear indicator in 1-2-3. Just give me a neutral light and I would love a "6th" indicator on my CB1000R

• Member Contributer

No way I would make that trade. I owned a 2005 K1200R with a Cee Bailey Sportshield and could ride it all day. I found it to be a great twistie bike and good for just about all riding with awesome power. In nearly 85000 miles of BMW riding between two of them I have not once had one in the shop for anything "broken" or for warranty work. I can't say that about any kind of Honda I've had which is two VFR's.

Do what meets your wants and needs. FWIW.

Also that crap about BMW not being reliable bikes is crap compared to Hondas. I've owned both and know better. Again FWIW.

No way I would make that trade. I owned a 2005 K1200R with a Cee Bailey Sportshield and could ride it all day. I found it to be a great twistie bike and good for just about all riding with awesome power. In nearly 85000 miles of BMW riding between two of them I have not once had one in the shop for anything "broken" or for warranty work. I can't say that about any kind of Honda I've had which is two VFR's.

Do what meets your wants and needs. FWIW.

Also that crap about BMW not being reliable bikes is crap compared to Hondas. I've owned both and know better. Again FWIW.

I guess we'll just wait for the thousands of other K1200 owners to report back with the same reports of reliability......not!.....

Your good luck (and I'm happy for you) does not reflect reality. The early K1200's are on record for having airbox leaks, cam chain guide wear, rear differential failures, clutch problems, etc.

Pick up a few lotto tickets, you seem to be quite lucky

Brian

not too sure about that....

my K has been great but before I bought it, most of the other K riders were telling me NOT to get it...lol.

My bike has had the cam chain tensioner recall done and is still very loud on startup...it sounds like there are marbles rolling around the inside of the motor for a few moments...it's really bad.

On another note, how can I find out if there is warranty left on my bike? Is there an option to buy an extended one? Should I? going today to finalize the deal!

• Member Contributer

Will be interested in your observations between the VFR (if you pull the trigger) and your BMW. I almost bought a K1200 when my wife bought her BMW F800ST. Went with the VFR1200 instead and once my wife rode mine she sold her BMW after only a couple of weeks of owning it and got her own VFR1200. I bought the extended warranty with mine even though I have not needed it so far.

Buying an extended warrantee will certainly depend on whether you have had all the required servicing done by a bmw dealer.

The need(?) to buy an extended warrantee for a mass produced and yclept premium and thereby pricey motorcycle is to me an oxymoron. You may want to visit NHST recalls on the motorcycles that interest you. Just sayin'.

Don't forget to add the cost of the warrantee to a monthly payment, if you're financing. R3~

Buying an extended warrantee will certainly depend on whether you have had all the required servicing done by a bmw dealer.

The need(?) to buy an extended warrantee for a mass produced and yclept premium and thereby pricey motorcycle is to me an oxymoron. You may want to visit NHST recalls on the motorcycles that interest you. Just sayin'.

Don't forget to add the cost of the warrantee to a monthly payment, if you're financing. R3~

No factory warranty depends on a dealer doing the work - if you do your own work just document it. Read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Extended warranties are big moneymakers for dealers, and can frequently bought at a raging discount online at dealerships. Brand specific forums can point you to those...

They aren't a total waste - they help resale quite a bit, and some bikes (like ours) need the help.

hey gang...made the deal yesterday...she will be delivered monday...

i plan on ordering my fairings and crankcase cover off bikebandit...is that the best place for OEM honda parts for a good deal??

Also, is there a crankcase cover gasket? Where can I read about taking off that mid fairing?

Ended up getting the bike for 7800!!!

Archived