Veefer Madness

paladinreed

• Member Contributer

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Little more progress

Looks Great! You currently have the 6th gen rearsets mounted, correct?

I've added a 6th gen lower cushion to my 5th gen engine also and any info or details you can share on the rearset set-up is greatly appreciated... currently I'm looking at trying to get CBR929 rearsets to fit and it will take some fabbing...

I only cut down the 6th gen main swingarm bolt 10mm and used the 6g bolt uncut as mentioned in some swaps. Also spaced the left rearset out about 10mm for left side swinger clearance.

Its all on the last page. Thanks dudes

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Hey guys. Got the bike all rewired but it's not wanting to start.

I installed the vfrness and the battery is charged. But the fuel pump nor is the starter engaging. Is there a main relay or something that could be bad? All of the fuses also look good. Kinda stumped e

• Member Contributer

Sounds great!

Thanks, just headers open at the moment

Looks like you made it to the finish line, or close to it.

One of a kind.

Good job

Thanks man. Means a lot to have it almost done despite a last few months that were less than accommodating. It's still only 75% or so considering little of the finish work is done but not too much longer and it will look decent.

• Member Contributer

You should not be concerned for the temperature..... it is them decibels............... :goofy:

Looks nice though.........

• Member Contributer

Quieted her down a bit but not too much ;)

The exhaust location is temporary. The fabricator only had time to do this much this week but eventually it will be up under the tail. I have a 500 mile ride this weekend and this is the best I could get in short notice so I took it. But he got it done in one afternoon so I'm happy.

Looking forward to seeing how she performs.

post-28606-0-24858500-1401231394.jpg

post-28606-0-73025900-1401231413.jpg

• Member Contributer

post-28606-0-75981000-1401296653.jpg

Put about 70 miles on it in the last two days. Got it licensed today.

God I love this bike. Gobs of power. I am bogging a bit if I come onto the throttle too fast however. Thinking it might be ignition but im not sure yet. Wants to studder at 8k plus.

Regardless im really looking forward to this weekends ride up to kcmo

That tail is just a smidge too high for my taste, looks great though otherwise!

Now having it all together and riding I can reflect this sentiment. However I think it looks exaggerated because of the emptiness between the wheel and undertray. I think once the pipe is worked up under there it will reduce that space and thus look less angular.

With that said, it still has a fantastic riding position and it's very comfortable and secure feeling.

Congratulations on finishing!!! Enjoy!

Thanks dude. Now the hard part of fine tuning and finish work is to come. Hope to one day have it half as clean as your SF.

Now having it all together and riding I can reflect this sentiment. However I think it looks exaggerated because of the emptiness between the wheel and undertray. I think once the pipe is worked up under there it will reduce that space and thus look less angular.

With that said, it still has a fantastic riding position and it's very comfortable and secure feeling.

You're probably right. Looking forward to seeing it with the new exhaust.

• Member Contributer

Thanks dude. Now the hard part of fine tuning and finish work is to come. Hope to one day have it half as clean as your SF.

Oh the fine tuning and finishing is an ongoing process. I think that is one of the hardest parts of these builds, making things reliable and factory-like functional. But now you are done the bulk of the major mods and can enjoy riding and tweaking as you go :) I hope your trip goes well without any issues. I went on a 1000km trip right after getting mine together last year year and had ignition coil issues the last 300km (as well as a tank breather problem… amazing how much suction the pump creates). But still got home okay.

Have you figured out the higher rpm stumble yet? Can you describe it a little more? Does it still rev through until redline, but with stumbling? Does it happen at all engine temps?

• Member Contributer

Well it's almost ready for tomorrow's ride. I just need an extended banjo bolt for the rear brake caliper after the lbs delete. Hope to find and pick one up tomorrow morning before setting off. I really don't wanna do 400 miles without a rear brake.

Anyway more pics after painting the passenger pegs and making a tail tidy license plate bracket.

Wheel still isn't here after rebuild :( looks like it will just be getting here after I depart tomorrow around noon.

post-28606-0-28924300-1401405772.jpg

post-28606-0-41666900-1401405792.jpg

post-28606-0-30342900-1401405807.jpg

post-28606-0-94289500-1401405822.jpg

post-28606-0-97283400-1401405841.jpg

post-28606-0-48128100-1401405860.jpg

Oh the fine tuning and finishing is an ongoing process. I think that is one of the hardest parts of these builds, making things reliable and factory-like functional. But now you are done the bulk of the major mods and can enjoy riding and tweaking as you go :) I hope your trip goes well without any issues. I went on a 1000km trip right after getting mine together last year year and had ignition coil issues the last 300km (as well as a tank breather problem amazing how much suction the pump creates). But still got home okay.

Have you figured out the higher rpm stumble yet? Can you describe it a little more? Does it still rev through until redline, but with stumbling? Does it happen at all engine temps?

Thanks for the motivation. No I haven't figured out the stumble yet. Maybe fouled plugs or my cop wiring I'm guessing. I took it for a short ride today and it stumbled even at low rpms and will stall the motor if I give it too much throttle while it's acting up. But Wednesday when I rode it would only do it around the higher rpms.

My only weak spot in my modification to the harness was the spliced power wire from the battery to the main fuse block when I extended the wiring to put the battery in the tail. Could this be the source of my stumble? I used a 6ga wire and was able to splice it to the 8ga that hooks to the fuse block.

I know that sounds janky but it seemed to wire fine and was nice and strong connection. I dunno anything about wiring really and have been learning as I go but it was prepped and connected/heat shrieked like a pro. Might have just been a mistake splicing the two different sized wires iunno.

Everything else seems to be running awesome. Only seen 87c on the temp gauge while riding around for an hour or more in 90 degree heat Wednesday and that's without a rad fan and in stop and go traffic.

-------------------------------------------------

Otherwise had to refit the stock clutch master. I could NOT get the damn rc51 clutch master to bleed for the life of me and I was eager to ride.

The temp gauge is just wired into my horn wires and runs on the button signal so I check the temps every 5-10 minutes or so while riding or I can just hold the button down with some tape. It's only temporary but it was an easy and quick place to go for power and ground considering I don't have a horn.

And I have to say the tank grips help out a TON when you add some tail height. I just used 2mm self adhering race seat foam and they work wonders for control.

• Member Contributer

Ok so this is embarrassing but adding photos from my iPad from any orientation seem to render my pics rotated all weird when I post them... As such... Advice?

Fixed it..... Welcome to the madness!

Rotateededed.jpg

Also just wanted to quote this post with the stock bike as a reference to the above, nearly finished product.

• Member Contributer

Hmmm… so the bike seems to only act up under harder throttle, but even at low rpm now? At idle and under moderate throttle it seems to run fine? I can't say I have any definitive answers. I'm sure someone else on here might know more.

I'm skeptical your wiring splice would be the culprit. If it was my bike I would probably start with the ignition coils as they are one thing you know you changed and could be acting up. Also, the stumbling issue could be cause by a failing ignition coil. If you can… and I know its a hassle, but could you fit the stock ignition coils (even temporarily) and see if the problem goes away? If it doesn't then the problem obviously lies elsewhere.

Glad to hear the rad is working out for you. That seems like a decent running temperature, especially for running in traffic.

• Member Contributer

Well the bike made it to KC but not without issue. However everything has been repairable. I also think ive eliminated the power issues. I think ive had a faulty kickstand kill switch or connector. Jumped the harness side connector today and I has been brilliant so far. Ill report back.

In other news, this showed up right before I left on Friday and I test fitted it.

Still going to need to modify the rear caliper and swap axles but gope to have it on next week sometime.

post-28606-0-65398300-1401565386.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Painted some stuff, coated the headers and mounted the wheel still far from finished. Took it for a final ride tonight. Leave tomorrow for Japan and won't be back for months so this is goodbye. For now.

Thanks for everything Vfrd. You guys have been awesome.

post-28606-0-73314300-1403313870.jpg

post-28606-0-31303600-1403313890.jpg

post-28606-0-08306400-1403313908.jpg

post-28606-0-75907500-1403313949.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice looking bike... job well done! She'll be waitin' when you get back :D

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Sucks to see you selling your bike Pal. That things got your fingerprints all over it. Must have been a difficult decision and it can be hard to get someone to understand the effort and buck up.

Good luck and be sure to post up the next project.

Best,

Austin

As I am new here, it was cool to read through this thread.

Most was waaay over my head but very interesting and inspiring to see such skill and determination.

Archived