Veefer Madness

paladinreed

• Member Contributer

Fixin to be a lot more room for the bikes in the garage. The bimmer is headed to NC on a flatbed this week.

Think I'm going to build a shed for all the lawn/non-automotive tools to clear up even more space and a proper table bike stand for the rest of the build.

post-28606-0-16881500-1392687803.jpg

post-28606-0-03481300-1392687847.jpg

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoying reading your build!

I have a Harbor Freight top-of-the-line lift and it's been the best, most used tool purchase of my life. I love the thing.

IMG_1998.jpg

• Member Contributer

That looks like a nice lift. Website has it at $430 and with a coupon would be even cheaper.

Thinking I could just build a static height one out of wood to start with and save the extra $300 for the polish, powder, plating, paint which is going to ultimately be the biggest expense on this build. These represent the only things I can't reasonably expect to do myself so they're going to bite

That looks like a nice lift. Website has it at $430 and with a coupon would be even cheaper.

Thinking I could just build a static height one out of wood to start with and save the extra $300 for the polish, powder, plating, paint which is going to ultimately be the biggest expense on this build. These represent the only things I can't reasonably expect to do myself so they're going to bite

I worked on a homemade wood table for a couple of years. Unfortunately it didn't work, except for my Supermoto which was only 240lbs. Everything else was just too heavy and awkward on the lift.

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yep. Its rare colored late model 78k mi California car. Headed to Raleigh/Cary area. I really hope the new owner loves it. It was my 11th e30 and my last for a little while. Getting into other things for a bit of strange.

• Member Contributer

Played with the exhaust mounting location and I think I may have a winner. The high mount looks much better.

Also a pic on it to show better the tail angle and height. Isnt as extreme as it looks on the stand.

post-28606-0-39789200-1393023865.jpg

post-28606-0-31132600-1393023658.jpg

post-28606-0-53942900-1393023695.jpg

post-28606-0-45070900-1393023726.jpg

Weather has been lovely so the build will be gettinf back on track.

• Member Contributer

having just done mine and the same exact process I have to say that it seems high still. This is personal and subjective so this is only my opinion, educated first hand opinion though. you are not far away and the seat is hitting the tank in the same place I decided. The pitch forward looks as though it may be an issue after a bit of a ride.

That can at that location would be freakin awesome!

I am liking it!

The pipe looks a hell of a lot better there, reed, great idea.

I think the seat looks just about perfect. If you need to, you can put extra foam at the front of the seat to level it out if you want.

Then you get the looks of the high tail, but can get the comfort of the seat spot on.

Mine is angled down a bit, but isn't that bad- I made a fighter, not a tourer. But I do have some memory foam kinda stuff that is a back protector out of an old jacket that will make the seat perfect. When I get around to it.

I taped the foam onto my old KTM 640SM seat as a a test. It turned that plank of wood into a lounge chair, so it should make my fighter seat perfect.

Keep going the way you are,mate, it's looking good. Can't wait to see the new wheel on there.

• Member Contributer

having just done mine and the same exact process I have to say that it seems high still. This is personal and subjective so this is only my opinion, educated first hand opinion though. you are not far away and the seat is hitting the tank in the same place I decided. The pitch forward looks as though it may be an issue after a bit of a ride.

That can at that location would be freakin awesome!

I am liking it!

Yeah, sub still needs modification. Have to cut it down to flush it up. Angle might come down a few degrees but not much. Kudos on that f4i retrofit. That looks killer with your faired bike.

The pipe looks a hell of a lot better there, reed, great idea.

I think the seat looks just about perfect. If you need to, you can put extra foam at the front of the seat to level it out if you want.

Then you get the looks of the high tail, but can get the comfort of the seat spot on.

Mine is angled down a bit, but isn't that bad- I made a fighter, not a tourer. But I do have some memory foam kinda stuff that is a back protector out of an old jacket that will make the seat perfect. When I get around to it.

I taped the foam onto my old KTM 640SM seat as a a test. It turned that plank of wood into a lounge chair, so it should make my fighter seat perfect.

Keep going the way you are,mate, it's looking good. Can't wait to see the new wheel on there.

Keef. Nice to hear from ya. Pipe is definitely better looking. I'll probably take your suggestion on reforming the seat foam. My next door neighbor does auto upholstery so maybe I'll have him re wrap it in a nicer fabric when I do.

You're right, these bikes might not retain the comfort of the stock bike but that's not the point right? Point is to trim down and look badass. It'll get there.

The wheel is still with the builder. He's wanting to feature it on his websites blog and he's going to do some other renderings in Photoshop of the bike color options. I'm excited to get it, but I'm not in a huge hurry all things considered. I'm really hoping to have her running and riding by mid to late march.

I'll post up some updates tomorrow after hopefully getting the subframe chopped down and the radiator and oil coolers mounted.

• Member Contributer

Make sure you leave yourself enough hose so you can drop your cooler for every oil change.

The wheel will look interesting for sure.

18CF4C1A-26CA-4D44-BFB8-F7EBE46B9D3C-453

Seb! You wascally wabbit! Where the fk did you find that?? And here I thought I had an original idea. No such thing I suppose.

Yeah the oil cooler has 10an fittings that I'll just attach braided hose to so that I can still get to this filter.

I meant that you should make the hoses long so you can unbolt the cooler and move it to allow filter removal. I would not want to break the fittings loose for every filter change...

Pic found on the Internet, of course

• Member Contributer

Oh I realize. Like I said ill just fit braided hose thats plenty flexible once the two top bolts from the brackets are unbolted the cooler will sit out of the way with plenty of room.

Never saw that pic before thanks for the inspiration.

• Member Contributer

Keep at it man! The rad looks like a pretty good fit there. Are you using a sv650 fan as well?

Yeah I'm pretty happy with the fit and finish of the sv radiator. I was going to try and run it without a fan and see how it does.

The way it's mounted it'll be a tight squeeze for the fan but if I do end up needing one, I'll try to get a small high cfm puller fan to squeeze behind there.

The only time my fan has come on with my TLR front mount conversion is riding in heavy traffic. In free flowing air it's been fine.

I have a mate who had a front mount (custom made, similar size to the SV rad you're using)on his VTR fighter without a fan, and it wasn't a problem.

As long as you don't sit in gridlocked traffic you should be good to go.

My TLR rad has room for a fan, but your SV radiator looks a hell of a lot better. Nice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Been busy. Took a couple of days and built a lean - to off the side of the garage for all of the lawn implements so I dont have to work around them anymore.

post-28606-0-91674900-1395537049.jpg

got a bunch of stuff in for the vfr. Heat shield. Coolant hose. Koso temp sensor and slimline gauge.

post-28606-0-68895300-1395537237.jpg

Also started building the undertray and battery box on the finished subframe.

post-28606-0-87343500-1395537320.jpg

The next two weeks should see the exhaust done and the headers off to ceramic.

• Member Contributer

Hope you get along with that neighbor. That's pushing it a little :491:

C'mon Pal, I wanna see a ride report... :lurk::computer-noworky::laughing6-hehe:

Archived