Veefer Madness

paladinreed

• Member Contributer

IMAG1042_zps202da18c.jpg

To give you an idea of what I'm normally wrenching on,

DSCN2965_zpse7cbb124.jpg
I've had a dozen or so old BMWs ranging from e30s (mostly) but some e28, e36, and e34. The above is just my current project.

Oh and my other sssa Honda that I inherited in pieces. :rock:

IMAG1007_zps872633e6.jpg

This is an old pic right after I got it mostly put back together. It now looks much different but I'll have to throw up a pic of that later. Needless to say the garage is pretty cramped right now so the ruckus will be for sale soon.

Cheers

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your build. I don't think you will find many fans of the gratuitous profanity here. Not to be on your case or professing to be self righteous, it just doesn't fly here. Other than that, hope you find what you need ..the collective repository of information is truly impressive...

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond.

You work in the manure trade? :-)

• Member Contributer

the damage is quite superficial and I'm only assuming that the PO must have been hard up for cash and thus decided to make a claim on it and as we all know insurance companies will not hesitate to total a motorbike and doubly so for a 15 y/o motorbike.

I intend on building this platform into a street/speed fighter. I know most of you gents are into track and touring but I thought maybe I could contribute a few things along the way and someone might enjoy watching this project develop.

From one vfrd newbie to another, welcome. Slowly but surely, fighters will take over MuHaHaHaHaa..

I've got a small build thread on mine on here and on CF (that I should update). 1098s rear wheel went on easily, I used an 04 gsxr 600 front end that only needed a top bearing change to fit ( used the top bearing from a yamha srx 400, I think) and the front mount rad is almost done.

I decided on a Vfr for my next fighter project because I wasn't looking for outright horsepower ( my last was a gsxr 711, about 130hp at the wheel and 185 kgs wet) I wanted a bike with some attitude and the right noise. The Vfr with gear driven cams is like nothing else, gets power to the road beautifully, and stripped back properly, they can look and sound amazing.

Good choice, it's a complicated bike compared to an oil cooled Gixxer, but worth it.

• Member Contributer

From one vfrd newbie to another, welcome. Slowly but surely, fighters will take over MuHaHaHaHaa..

I've got a small build thread on mine on here and on CF (that I should update). 1098s rear wheel went on easily, I used an 04 gsxr 600 front end that only needed a top bearing change to fit ( used the top bearing from a yamha srx 400, I think) and the front mount rad is almost done.

I decided on a Vfr for my next fighter project because I wasn't looking for outright horsepower ( my last was a gsxr 711, about 130hp at the wheel and 185 kgs wet) I wanted a bike with some attitude and the right noise. The Vfr with gear driven cams is like nothing else, gets power to the road beautifully, and stripped back properly, they can look and sound amazing.

Good choice, it's a complicated bike compared to an oil cooled Gixxer, but worth it.

Thanks man, yeah I've been following that build of yours, the tail looks better than I thought I like it. Duc wheel looks good and I'd go a similar route but I decided on a custom 3 pc. Rear wheel from my other obsession.

How have the 600 forks reacted so far are they aggressive enough? You have the vfr front wheel still on it? Is it adaptable to the gsxr brakes?

I too have fallen in love with stripped vfrs but I've got to say the 150 mi ride home was quite nice on the fully faired bike. Alas all of my riding is within 30 miles or so of my place so I'll sacrifice the comfort for looks.

First will come a thorough run through of the mechanicals and maintenance. Then forks and shock, sub and tail, headlights, digi gauge and so on. I'd like to get this bike back on par with factory power output which is plenty for me. And hopefully get this 480lb beast trimmed down 60-100 lbs. from where I don't know quite yet.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm getting out of BMWs for a while so I'll probably be wasting most of my time between here and CF for a while. Cheers

I'd like to get this bike back on par with factory power output which is plenty for me. And hopefully get this 480lb beast trimmed down 60-100 lbs. from where I don't know quite yet.

Don't quote me on this, but I think the most I have heard of people trimming on these bike is around 50 lbs.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the site. I don't mind the cursing, send it to me in a PM if you feel too sanitized! :)

It is easy to lose 20 lbs, not much work to lose 35 lbs, but it costs a lot of time effort and $$ to lose 50+ lbs, from what i have seen!

Two years of trolling CF, a marriage, and a baby boy later, I decided what I wanted and pulled the trigger on a 1998 fifth gen VFR 800 vtec.

Welcome to VFRD! By the way - your new bike is not a VTEC. But! (however), unlike the Vtec models, it does have gear-driven cams, and it doesn't have Honda's crappy camchain tensioners, so the motor

is pretty bulletproof.

• Member Contributer

I was wondering when someone was going to correct that info about a 5th Gen.

Welcome, paladinreed. Enjoy your stay!

what do you mean by aggressive enough? i need to have them resprung, as the VFR is heavier than the gix6, and i am 95ks without gear. Definately better than the original VFR forks though.

I changed the vfr front wheel when i did the forks, i hate having mismatched wheels with different spoke patterns. I have 04 gsxr 600 forks yokes, and calipers, ducati 848 front wheel, 01 gsxr 1000 rotors, and a ninja 250 front guard.

Welcome PaladinReed. I'm not in the manure biz either. Good answer Dutchy. :laugh:

Doesn't bother me generally, eff bombs don't matter much at all to me.

But this is a more polite forum. Good way to put it. :beer:

Its exciting seeing so many new builds happening! Hopefully your all's will progress faster than mine =P

Can't wait to see what you do with the bike paladinreed!

I've got my VFR totally apart now and have access to many parts that are not bolted to the bike, let me know if you need any measurements or even parts!

• Member Contributer

And oh! You titled your post Veefer Madness................. now that is a member here who can tell you all about <CENSORED> and <CENSORED>

:beer:

• Member Contributer

Two years of trolling CF, a marriage, and a baby boy later, I decided what I wanted and pulled the trigger on a 1998 fifth gen VFR 800 vtec.

Welcome to VFRD! By the way - your new bike is not a VTEC. But! (however), unlike the Vtec models, it does have gear-driven cams, and it doesn't have Honda's crappy camchain tensioners, so the motor

is pretty bulletproof.

See? So much to learn! This is my first real bike after all. Is variable timing impossible with gear driven cams then?

what do you mean by aggressive enough? i need to have them resprung, as the VFR is heavier than the gix6, and i am 95ks without gear. Definately better than the original VFR forks though.

I changed the vfr front wheel when i did the forks, i hate having mismatched wheels with different spoke patterns. I have 04 gsxr 600 forks yokes, and calipers, ducati 848 front wheel, 01 gsxr 1000 rotors, and a ninja 250 front guard.

I meant more or less if the spring rates and dampering of the 600 forks were sufficient for the larger chassis and weight of the vfr. It seems that you answered my question by noting that you felt like you needed to upgrade the springs. I understand wanting the continuity between the two wheel styles. Unfortunately the rear wheel I have in mind is pretty unique and not something I can replicate with a non custom front wheel which I have no intentions so far of trying.

I'm mostly going to be concerned with finding the lightest and best looking options for the front wheel

Its exciting seeing so many new builds happening! Hopefully your all's will progress faster than mine =P

Can't wait to see what you do with the bike paladinreed!

I've got my VFR totally apart now and have access to many parts that are not bolted to the bike, let me know if you need any measurements or even parts!

Thanks for the offer man. I may well take you up on it.

Appreciate the warm welcome, hope I can stumble upon some info other people find useful or interested during this little build.

• Member Contributer

A couple of questions have come to mind so far.

Does anyone know off the top of their heads the specs, size, weight, offset, centerbore etc of the rear wheel. (17x5.5 I think I saw at some point)

Also, what are good options for upgrading the rear spring from aftermarket or oem manufacturers or from different models? Once again, I've read of 929, 954 places but what are your opinions? I'd like something perhaps with adjustability and fairly aggressive rates.

I'm about 5'11" and 165lbs. It's also likely that my wife will ride passenger on a weekly basis in nice weather so like I said adjustability might be nice.

• Member Contributer

Looking forward to another VFR fighter build! Enjoy the process :)

I too have fallen in love with stripped vfrs but I've got to say the 150 mi ride home was quite nice on the fully faired bike. Alas all of my riding is within 30 miles or so of my place so I'll sacrifice the comfort for looks.

My naked VFR is the most comfortable bike I've owned. Aside from rain protection and cold weather riding (warm gear negates this issue for me) I love the smooth turbulence free air and balanced riding position. If you want a comfortable bike just plan your mods accordingly. Pick a decent seat, set the seat height and angle right, and get bars that put you in the right riding position and you'll have no issues with comfort. You probably won't even have to sacrifice looks :) Just my 2 cents.

• Member Contributer

Looking forward to another VFR fighter build! Enjoy the process :)

My naked VFR is the most comfortable bike I've owned. Aside from rain protection and cold weather riding (warm gear negates this issue for me) I love the smooth turbulence free air and balanced riding position. If you want a comfortable bike just plan your mods accordingly. Pick a decent seat, set the seat height and angle right, and get bars that put you in the right riding position and you'll have no issues with comfort. You probably won't even have to sacrifice looks :) Just my 2 cents.

Dude, first of all, your vfr build was simply incredible. I'd love to have even half of the talent you demonstrated go into this bike.

Sorry about the late reply but I try not to post in my build threads without a picture to accompany simply because here is nothing worse than a build thread without pictures in it.

Somewhat of an update however. Last night cruising fleabay I got a bad case of the itis and scored a cheap straight Ducati 848 subframe and seat to start fleshing out the conversion and a 929 rear shock to boot. I just realized that if I don't get on this project then I won't have a bike to ride as soon as spring hits and I can't have that..

Secondly, I'm spitballing this custom rear wheel and am thinking a 17x6 et ~10-13 with a 190 or 200 series rear tire. Are there any glaring issues with that in application?

The 1098s rear that I have is 17x6, and I have a 190 50 at the moment, but will change to a 190 55 in a week or so. Mine is used right to the edge, so no handling issues with a 6 inch

post-28591-0-76715200-1382983867.jpg

• Member Contributer

Ok so this is embarrassing but adding photos from my iPad from any orientation seem to render my pics rotated all weird when I post them... As such... Advice?

Fixed it..... Welcome to the madness!

Rotateededed.jpg

• Member Contributer

post-28606-0-76721700-1383112696.jpg

Well, I got the bug. After I ordered the 848 sub I got the phase 1 fleshed out and decided to do some work. This is nothing new. I'm sure each and every one of you have had your bikes equally nude at some point whether for maintenance or just a good thorough cleaning. I'm afraid I'm not going back however.

post-28606-0-82223600-1383112724.jpg

post-28606-0-26532900-1383112750.jpg

Wanted to gratuitously show off the real reason I even got into bikes (lol). Spec 1Rs for my wife and I. My taste in language is obviously as bad as my taste in graphics. Bear with me. I'm really not all bad

post-28606-0-35878300-1383112784.jpg

And lastly a shot of my old 250 which was also red and my least favorite color. What's up with that?

post-28606-0-17697700-1383112845.jpg

Seriously finding ever more enlightening info on this site and really want to say a big thank you to the everyone who.contributed their builds to this site

• Member Contributer

post-28606-0-78697000-1383246047.jpg

Christmas on Halloween?! Nahhh.. just some heavy Italian turd.

Couldn't resist mocking her up.

Tear down
post-28606-0-91111200-1383246025.jpg

The bobber look is the worst.
post-28606-0-59905200-1383246172.jpg

And crude mock up
post-28606-0-05391100-1383246069.jpg

Now I need forks to make it look halfway decent.

As far as subframe comparison, the ducati frame is heavier than I thought it would be. Contrarily, the vfr8 frame is lighter than I suspected. Granted the ducati tail has to hold a 20lb exhaust and potentially two riders so its pretty beefy but I had too much hope that it would be featherweight comparatively.

I suspect between the two I've saved 3-7 lbs between frame and passenger pegs and relocating electronics. The other weight will come from the light, seat, and plastics.

The tail will be getting an exhaust tucked up under it so while it looks high in the pic that's a rough guestimate for the clearances and aesthetic I'm looking for

Cheers.

The 1098s rear that I have is 17x6, and I have a 190 50 at the moment, but will change to a 190 55 in a week or so. Mine is used right to the edge, so no handling issues with a 6 inch

Keef, that tire makes my heart race, thinking about the little time I've spent on a track! I got to run my FZ6 around the track this summer, and I didn't have much chickenstrip left, and I was clearly sliding a good bit with the tire boogers! But my god, you look like you were at 10/10ths! riding ltterally on the edge of that tire of a bike that you assembled yourself! Way to go man! I can't wait till mine is complete, and better yet, till I'm comfortable enough on it to ride it hard from time to time!

photo3_zps1b478530.jpg

photo2_zpse09e969c.jpg

As far as subframe comparison, the ducati frame is heavier than I thought it would be. Contrarily, the vfr8 frame is lighter than I suspected. Granted the ducati tail has to hold a 20lb exhaust and potentially two riders so its pretty beefy but I had too much hope that it would be featherweight comparatively.

paladinreed, have you considered Ducati's monoposto subframes?? I just spent about 5 minutes searching around for the weight comparisons of the biposto (two-up) subframe, vs. the aluminum (solo) monoposto subframe with no luck. But there are tons of them on fleabay! Check it out!

Archived