Veefer Madness

paladinreed

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Gosh this is a mess but its slowly getting there. I'll start with the rc51 master rebuild. I bought this master almost a year ago and after version 1 of the bike was up and running I tried to mount it but for the life of me could not get it to bleed so I recently bought a rebuild kit and dove in.

I have never done one of these before so it took me about an hour sadly but it was filthy so there was also lots of cleaning involved.

Master and new parts

post-28606-0-89287600-1425510370.jpg

pull out dead remnants of rubber boot and mess with the slipring/retaining clip for about 15 minutes finding a decent tool to make it work

post-28606-0-27404000-1425510384.jpg

pop goes the weasel as the spring does its job now unhindered

post-28606-0-04610400-1425510401.jpg

Here is a shot of how it all comes assembled for anyone wanting to know. I was looking at the parts fiche to start trying to determine the order but one cant see piss all with the terrible resolution pic

post-28606-0-01707700-1425510413.jpg

Also, my new rubber washers in the kit were different sizes than the old ones and did not want to mount even despite me using a little bit of brake fluid to lube them. The originals were in good shape so I actually just reused them. Fun on Wheels!

post-28606-0-63500600-1425510429.jpg

New stuff in its general assembly order

post-28606-0-00334700-1425510443.jpg

back in and booted.

post-28606-0-50421100-1425510453.jpg

And there we have it. Pretty easy really. Just make sure and clean the cylinder really well and I used qtips and DOT4 to lub the inner cylinder and the rubber gaskets.

I also went ahead and mounted the black bars and tapped them for the right side controls set pin.

post-28606-0-68441500-1425510474.jpg

Mounted the Diavel mirrors. Honestly I love these mirrors but I need to have the bike back in one piece to decide if they're actually going to work with the style or not. But this is more or less what the new front end is going to look like.

post-28606-0-11455600-1425510487.jpg

And lastly here is a shot of a $15 bobber fender my brother had lying around that I believe Im going to chop up into a rear hugger to keep stuff more or less off of my spring, rear manifolds and lower subframe.

post-28606-0-71646000-1425510501.jpg

Oh and also found some now NLA stateside ATE Superblue DOT4 racing brake fluid. Stuff is more expensive per liter than a decent single malt scotch but its all I've ever run in my cars and I wanted it for the bike too. So I ordered some while I could. Also going to be running Engine Ice so all of my exposed fluids will be blue which I think will look mega. We'll see.

More to come. Cheers.

• Member Contributer

Super blue is NLA???

Yeah, its no longer legal for retail sale here in the US. Something about the color and DOT regulations. This happened a year or two ago.

I've been watching for it and saw 3 liters on ebay unopened. I wanted all three but while it was expensive before it is outrageous now. So I only bought 2 liters and will keep them exclusively for the bike.

• Member Contributer

Got some work done. Went ahead and sprayed my valve cover bolts with some rustoleum clear to protect the finish.

Started stripping my tank about 3 days ago. This oem paint is SO tough. It took me about 10 applications of paint stripper to get it to where I was ready to start sanding it. Insane.

post-28606-0-31038200-1426039114.jpg

post-28606-0-72649500-1426039126.jpg

post-28606-0-15216700-1426039139.jpg

No matter, body work starts tomorrow and if I make good time. Possibly paint?

Also cut down that no name fender I had laying around and have a rough shape for the rear hugger. Check it out.

post-28606-0-44682500-1426039161.jpg

post-28606-0-04892900-1426039172.jpg

It doesn't cover the whole tire but it will cover the entire upright contact patch and do the job of keeping filth off of the shock and subframe for the most part. Anyhow, acceptable for a free rear fender is say.

Also got my superblue in. Need to order some new copper Bajo washers all around and I'll be ready to oil all of the hydrolics.

post-28606-0-85217100-1426039185.jpg

• Member Contributer

The paint is done and I really should be more excited. Despite having about 25 hours into prep paint and wetsand/polish this job is only about a 5/10.

I ended up rattlecanning it and I guess I should be content as it looks pretty ok but needless to say this will need a professional paint job next season. I just hope this one holds up even that long.

Paint. Won't be doing this again.

But the good news is I should have her running again this week!

post-28606-0-19723900-1426535372.jpg

post-28606-0-89234700-1426535383.jpg

• Member Contributer

Sorry to read things didnot work out as expected....

Put it down to experience and enjoy the upcoming rides!!!

• Member Contributer

For a rattle can the paint doesn't look too bad, I hear ya though its incredible how much time sanding and preparing can take. You can purchase automotive grade paint and have it put into an aerosol but apparently with clear coat unless the can has a push button hardener (on the can) it is not recommended to use rattle can. I bought rattle can clear and was going to do my tank, but now after some research I;m spending a 100.00 CAD to have a local guy put 3 coats of clear on.

Great work by the way!!

• Member Contributer

Looking really good man! I like the grey and black.

Thanks dude. I like it too. Should be a few more minor touches and she will be ready to ride!

I have a 1098 solo cover, and a smoked led integrated taillight if you're interested...

Got the clear tail light although now in retrospect I'd rather have the smoked but I can't justify buying another. Also, have the solo cowl. Thanks though dude

• Member Contributer

I'm very very jealous.

Nice work.

Cheers man. Been waiting for an update on yours. Hows that busted arm? I guess Id stay pretty preoccupied with a mt09 in the garage too... :fing02:

It's getting there. Bone is good, arm is still weak as piss. not riding yet, waiting on strength and flexibility to come back before the doctors (and my wife) let me ride again.

still managed to put a scorpion full system on the MT, and an O2 controller, ready for when i can ride. Hurt a bit, and took me 2 nights instead of an hour, but the result is good.

i should probaby get the rad on the viffer and finish the new headlight, eh?

• Member Contributer

It's getting there. Bone is good, arm is still weak as piss. not riding yet, waiting on strength and flexibility to come back before the doctors (and my wife) let me ride again.

still managed to put a scorpion full system on the MT, and an O2 controller, ready for when i can ride. Hurt a bit, and took me 2 nights instead of an hour, but the result is good.

Glad to hear it's coming along brother. Any progress is progress! I can't wait for pics of both man.

Speaking p progress I took it on a very short ride earlier.

Need to bleed the rear brake a bit more and keep an eye on the coolant level till I know I have here full up. It only took a half gal of engine ice and it's full but I don't know if my short ride was long enough for the wp and therm to open and to start churning it through the system or not.

Hugger bracket made. Looked startling like a penis (and I'm not joking) so I held off on those pics.

Here's a couple more.

post-28606-0-06350200-1427419244.jpg

post-28606-0-01148600-1427419256.jpg

post-28606-0-42860200-1427419270.jpg

• Member Contributer

Glad to hear it's coming along brother. Any progress is progress! I can't wait for pics of both man.

Speaking p progress I took it on a very short ride earlier.

Need to bleed the rear brake a bit more and keep an eye on the coolant level till I know I have here full up. It only took a half gal of engine ice and it's full but I don't know if my short ride was long enough for the wp and therm to open and to start churning it through the system or not.

Hugger bracket made. Looked startling like a penis (and I'm not joking) so I held off on those pics.

Here's a couple more.

Looks good! Bet it's super fun to chuck around with those wide handlebars. What made you go back to the stock rear wheel?

• Member Contributer

Hey FSAE. The bike is certainly a treat. The bar height and width make the more aggressive tail angle more balanced and comfortable.

The bike handles well but since Ive got it back together I find the front end a little floaty and I think it might be because of the torque on the headstock which I cranked down pretty good. I might need to back it off a little.

Im also riding with a new rear tire for the first time and the last one was pretty flat spotted so all in all it seems much more responsive.

I wanted to change the rear tire on the BBS wheel to a 190/50 because the 5th gen swingarm has so much less clearance from the front of the tire to the forward bend of the swingarm as compared to the previous generations. and the 55 aspect ratio was just a little too close to it imo. Also Im working on a solution the match the front wheel to the BBS and Id like to reinstall them at the same time. Lastly, the BBS was just a mite too flashy so it will get a slight rework on the color combination.

Thanks for the shout!

• Member Contributer

Hey FSAE. The bike is certainly a treat. The bar height and width make the more aggressive tail angle more balanced and comfortable.

The bike handles well but since Ive got it back together I find the front end a little floaty and I think it might be because of the torque on the headstock which I cranked down pretty good. I might need to back it off a little.

Im also riding with a new rear tire for the first time and the last one was pretty flat spotted so all in all it seems much more responsive.

I wanted to change the rear tire on the BBS wheel to a 190/50 because the 5th gen swingarm has so much less clearance from the front of the tire to the forward bend of the swingarm as compared to the previous generations. and the 55 aspect ratio was just a little too close to it imo. Also Im working on a solution the match the front wheel to the BBS and Id like to reinstall them at the same time. Lastly, the BBS was just a mite too flashy so it will get a slight rework on the color combination.

Thanks for the shout!

If your plan to match the front to the rear wheel involves a wire-spoked wheel, let me know what you find for an option! The ones I've seen are $$$$, one factor among many that has always stopped me from considering them.

• Member Contributer

If your plan to match the front to the rear wheel involves a wire-spoked wheel, let me know what you find for an option! The ones I've seen are $$$$, one factor among many that has always stopped me from considering them.

Actually it will be much simpler but hopefully look good.

As far as spoked options for the vfr I'd imagine it would be the rear that would be the major inhibitor. As far as I understand it a conversion for the front would old consist of finding a hub and a wheel hoop with the same amount of spoke holes, get them laced up and adapt them to your fork and brake set up.

Or if you happen to have a gsxr or cbr usd setup already on your bike, you can go this route which isn't insanely pricey IMO. Less than most aftermarket wheels.

http://cognitomoto.com/collections/fork-conversion-parts/products/100-bolt-on-laced-wheel-for-cbr600rr-2007-2010-fork-complete

• Member Contributer

Or if you happen to have a gsxr or cbr usd setup already on your bike, you can go this route which isn't insanely pricey IMO. Less than most aftermarket wheels.

http://cognitomoto.com/collections/fork-conversion-parts/products/100-bolt-on-laced-wheel-for-cbr600rr-2007-2010-fork-complete

**Drool** I suppose the price of the wheel isn't too bad if one were to add up the cost of an entire build. Definitely less of a roadblock than figuring out the rear, I agree.

• 6 months later...

Archived