Garmin Goes After Gopro

Lee 2002

I gotta catch to the new old tech first. :unsure:

For example, VIRB Edit can automatically match video and your Edge bicycle computer data to add speed and cadence to your cycling video or add heart rate to your sky dive.

I bet they just put in a drum roll for your heart rate on a sky dive. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Yeah read about that today, not sure they can catch Gopro, they are announcing their new models in the fall. Contour just closed their doors in Seattle like a week ago.

+eb0

• Member Contributer

Don't get me wrong, I have always thought this stuff was cool but for me there isn't much allure. When I ride, I'm there to ride not to worry so much about pics or video. Besides, I'd have to then make the time to edit the footage, upload, etc. Maybe some day. I think it would be cool for an out of the country excursion. I'm more concerned with my radar system being operational I guess.

• Member Contributer

Edit video? Why would you have to edit every bit of video you record?

Not as appealing as the Contour stuff, and just as expensive as everything else.

Contour is Gone.

GoPro marketing killed them. All employees were laid off.

I wonder if Garmin grabbed their technology?

It is very similar.

Contour was so much better than GoPro.

• Member Contributer

I love my contour camera, prolly try to grab a couple more when the price cuts come to the discontinued stock.

• Member Contributer

I've got the +2 with the waterproof thingy and paid $300 for it (reg price $350).

I see them listed at $298 so that is the one I would snag if they drop to sub $200

They may all sell before hitting that floor and if so then I will just buy something else.

• Member Contributer

Yeah. The +2 hasn't dropped in price very much. The other ones are still pretty cheap. $100 to get in the door, $180 for the newer version. Not bad.

• Member Contributer

I've got the +2 with the waterproof thingy and paid $300 for it (reg price $350).

I see them listed at $298 so that is the one I would snag if they drop to sub $200

They may all sell before hitting that floor and if so then I will just buy something else.

Carver, how long does the battery last per charge on constant recording?

• Member Contributer

Carver, how long does the battery last per charge on constant recording?

It seems like about 5 hrs on 1080p and around 8 hrs on lower video settings....a skinnier carver (aren't they all) swiped it and has been plying with it more lately...

• Member Contributer

Trying to decide on Roam or Roam2. Roam is $100 with waterproof case, 30 fps in Action720p mode. Roam2 is $150, is water resistant on its own without case (to one meter), and does 60 fps (probably interpolated) in Action 720p mode. I think you a cannot switch camera between modes without hooking it up a computer and using the desktop software. Can someone verify that?

• Member Contributer

I wonder if there is any noticeable difference between the 30 fps vs. 60 fps @ 720p unless you are doing slow motion playback?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I wonder if there is any noticeable difference between the 30 fps vs. 60 fps @ 720p unless you are doing slow motion playback?

Only 2 weeks late LOL, but yes.... I ran 60fps by mistake once on my GoPro, really don't see much of an imporvement other than it fills your card twice as fast.

Archived