Things Fudged Up After Oil Change

brownelvis

Oh hey

So I attempted my first oil change on my 6th gen today and it was a gruelling procedure. The oil filter was really rammed on there, a filter socket didn't work and neither did a strap wrench so I had to resort to a screwdriver and hammer to finally get it off.

I could barely get into the filter so I had to unclip the hose in front of it. After I did that a ton of greenish liquid poured out, like a ton of it. I got the hose back on but I don't know what that liquid was. When I start the bike now I smell a faint burning smell and the oil level drops each time. I think the burning smell is from oil that dripped onto the muffler, but what was the liquid I lost when I unclipped the hose? And could that be causing the oil level to drop?

Thanks in advance!

• Member Contributer

Dude - you dumped a whole lot of coolant. Dont ride the bike with out refilling! Goes in the radiator cap. - It might help to get a buddy with some bike mechanic smarts.

• Member Contributer

STOP right now. Do not run the bike. You pulled a coolant hose and dumped all the antifreeze. The oil level is supposed to drop when the bike is running as the oil is now circulating through the engine. Only check the oil level after the bike has been sitting for a while and not running. Do not run the bike until you get coolant back in it it you will burn it up. I hope you did not run it for very long like this.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

I ran it for maybe under a minute on neutral, hopefully I didnt mess things up too bad. I thought it was coolant at first but the reservoir was still full. So do I have to flush the coolant completely before refilling? or can I just top up with Honda 50/50? Not sure what the PO had in there but I assume mixing 2 coolants won't hurt.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

• Member Contributer

You are lucky. If it only ran for a minute you should be good. The reservoir is designed to collect the expanding coolant as the bike gets hot and feed coolant back into the system as the bike cools off. That is why you did not see the level change as the radiator cap is closed when the bike is cold. Anyway, at this point I would find a wrenching buddy and go ahead and do a complete flush and fill. Hope this helps.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

I just flushed and barely any coolant came out, so I pretty much lost it all from that hose. I'm gonna go buy coolant tomorrow to fill and will report back. Thanks again

Yeah hand tightened, I've done oil changes on all my bikes but this is the first one I've done on the vfr. From what I remember the first oil change I've done on any bike is always a pain cause shops really tighten the crap out of the filters for some reason.

• Member Contributer

For next time...

Get one of these, the METAL type. If you get a plastic one, you will fail again.

oilfilterwrench

Use a 3/8" socket extension to use the wrench through the header pipes.
BEFORE you warm up the engine, crack loose the filter. No burned fingers, no cussing.. Put it back barely finger tight and then warm up the engine, perform oil change.

For next time...

Get one of these, the METAL type.  If you  get a plastic one, you will fail again.

Use a 3/8" socket extension to use the wrench through the header pipes.

BEFORE you warm up the engine, crack loose the filter.  No burned fingers, no cussing..   Put it back barely finger tight and then warm up the engine, perform oil change.

I have one exactly like that, the filter was on way too tight so it didn't give.

Topped up the coolant and the bike is good to go. Thanks everyone!

Better yet, get the K&N filter with the nut on the end.

Makes removal a pizza cake. :beer:

And yeah, download the service manual, then RTFM. :happy:

• Member Contributer

Another useful trick is to take a sheet of aluminum foil and put it over the header pipes to keep them from getting oil on them.

Rollin

No offense, but you seriously had no idea that was antifreeze?

None taken. I thought it was coolant but wasn't sure since the coolant reservoir was still full.

• Member Contributer

The 1st time I changed the coolant I thought The Hulk had peed in the radiator. Cos my bike pulls so strong!!!!

• Member Contributer

coolant???

:unsure:

dont you people understand? the bike is CLEARLY superior to anything made on earth..

its Vulcan blood!! stop spilling it!!

vulcan_zps09d4d897.jpg

and stop using that sign! you dont know what it means!!

spock_zpsf2c699a6.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what type/grade oil did you use.

I ask only because I know a guy who used automotive oil with the slippery goodies in it. Did a number on his clutch!

• Member Contributer

Being a semi-trekkie I really like the cartoon!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Just out of curiosity, what type/grade oil did you use.

I ask only because I know a guy who used automotive oil with the slippery goodies in it. Did a number on his clutch!

Rotella T6, the clutch is silky smooth

Archived