Thinking Of Buying A 96' Vfr As My First Bike.

Guest Jb13

Hello all,

My name is John and I am complete newbie when it comes to two wheels. Sure I grew up messing around on dirt bikes and quads, but never ever dabbled in street bikes. Since my office is only about three miles from home I had this crazy idea to get into riding. It would save on gas, and because I live in AZ, there are no seasons or "weather" to ever worry about.

A coworker of mine over heard me talking about getting into riding and it turns out the guy that services our printers is an avid rider, and just happens to have a 96' VFR w/ 41,000 miles that he would be willing to part with. So I stopped by his place last night and took a look at the bike. Its pretty clean given its age, some of the plastics on the right side could use some love, and the entire bike could use a once over, but overall I would say its a solid 7 out of 10, from what I can see. He has told me that he had the valves checked and they are within spec, also that the front tire would need to be replaced soon. Thats it.

Now as I said I am a complete newbie rider. I would more than likely sign up for safety classes, and just get out and practice, as much as I could. I figured this place would be the best place to start, and learn as much about this bike before pulling the trigger.

Here is some quick phone pics of the bike:

IMG955286_zpsaa4e553c.jpg

IMG955859_2_zps5b5574e5.jpg

My questions would be:

• What are known problems with the VFR, specifically this generation?
  • Problems with higher milage VFR's?
  • Is there anything I should look out for when buying a VFR?
  • Could I maintain this bike on my own for the most part?
  • Would this make a good first/learning bike?
  • How much should I be looking to pay given the information above.

I appreciate everyones input in advance, I hope to continue to learn more and more about this bike.

Thanks,

-John

• Member Contributer

3 miles is less than 5 clicks

at a leisurely pace that is 15 minutes on a bicycle for a 50 year old like me; you are 23 :-)

If it is purely for commuting economically, look for a Honda scooter.

There are easier to handle small displacent bikes out there that will be cheap as chips as a 1st/learner bike.

Some wil largue to go for that because "you will drop it". Well I never dropped my 1st, second and third biike.... the Guzzi and then VFR were not so fortunate... :wacko:

Now...... if you are drawn to the best, most sexy and in red the fastest VFR...........

Apart from me dropping it a few times, mine ('97) with now 75k kms has given me no grief...

Still have the oem voltage regulator that causes manier owner problems, but either the owner adressd that already or you go yo Joshua at wiremybike.com (TIGHTWAD here on VFRD)

I was happy with the stock suspension till I joined VFRD in 2006.......... it is adequate, but there are other better units out there

I hold each and everyone responsible for planting the farkle bug in my head!!! :goofy:

for I first bike, donot worry about modifications. Spend the money you have and proper training and protective gear.

Maintenance?

I had the steering bearing replaced at 65k; ask the mechanic to check carburator synchronisation. They were still in spec....

Adjusting the chain tension is easy, the bike has a centre stand and if the oirigal tool kit is still with the bike, there is a hook type of lever.

Price? No idea ot what is ok in the USA...

• Member Contributer

I have a '95 which is the same bike. The '94 to '97 years collectively make up the 4th gen VFRs. The motors are bulletproof with their gear driven cams. That's the distinctive "whine" you hear at idle. Mine has 162K km without any valve adjustments. I did checks every 25K km until 100K km though.

The biggest weakness with the VFR is the charging system. I have replaced the regulator/rectifier twice, most recently this spring. I also installed the VFRness (beefed up wiring harness from WireMyBike.com run by member Tightwad) because some connectors got fried. You may have to replace the battery and stator when the r/r fails. Lots of tales of woe here on that, for all generations. The tailsection plastic is also prone to cracking, and mine is no exception. The low fuel light on my mine doesn't work but the gauge does. Other than that, it's been normal maintenance items. Oil/filter changes are easy but changing the front spark plugs is a real pain.

Now on the bike you are looking at, where's the exhaust? It would normally be on the right side so I thought at first the owner had modified it to be a left exit. But I can see where the pipe from the muffler would connect. BTW, did you hear the bike run?

As for the VFR as a first bike, I wouldn't recommend it because it's heavy, around 525 lb fully fuelled. The problem isn't at speed but during slow speed maneuvers or on uneven pavement. If you drop it the plastic is expensive to replace. Since it's "pre-blemished", maybe that won't be an issue. But you don't have to be a newby to drop a bike. I kept my first two bikes upright and had my first drop and crash with my VFR.

• Member Contributer

Like Dutchy said if it's for the commute get a scooter or small dual sport (you could ride it in the desert on weekends). Then if the bug bites you find a lower mileage VFR.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

For a first bike, I would say no. You don't have to get a ninja 250 as a first bike, but I would look at something else. The VFR is heavy and not the easiest to maintain. It was my second bike and it took a while before I could really handle it well.

That said. Problems are the electrical system with the R/r failing. Steering head bearings always wear out and can be changed for the tapered roller bearings instead of ball bearings. If the front suspension has never been serviced I would want that done as well. I can't get pics at work, but sounds like it is missing the exhaust.

If you have done some dirt in the past, then a dual sport sounds more up your alley. Plenty of choices out there too on the cheap. Yamaha XT's, Suzuki DR and DRZs, Honda XRs, all good choice, all single cylinder and easy to maintain, and all should be good on gas. Should be able to grab most of those for $2k and less, and you still get to do dirt riding as well as street.

If you have money to spend, then the new CBR250 or CBR500 would be a really sweet ride to pick up. Suzuki SV650, Kawasaki EX500 are also a good pic for street bikes.

It might be strange coming from a happy 4th gen owner, but....if the OP wants to enjoy his earliest experience with motorcycling to the max, I suggest not to get a bike as old as a 4th gen VFR.... Early/learning stages of biking should not be saddled with any concerns of any parts of the bike fritzing out because of wear and age. It should be mostly a hop on and go bike with minimal necessary attention to fixing stuff. or distraction from concentrating on ones riding, because a certain part's condition is in the back of one's head all the time. A beginner does not need a brand new bike, but something maybe not more than 5 years old.

a late model Suzuki SV650 come to mind as the ideal starter bike for most. If a faring is essential, what about a uber friendly bike like the Honda Deauville. Powerful enough to drive safely on any highway, but I'm sure, lighter than most model VFRs and the V twin engine is bulletproof too......I kinda like it to a golden retriever of a bike....

• Member Contributer

Don't listen to 'em.

I had my '95 as my first streetbike w/ only dirtbike riding experience.

Now I ride like a baus. Errday.

Fools be trippin.

You kill me! lol

For what it's worth, Gadianton did a full restoration of that 1st bike, yeah? My 1st street-bike was a '76 CB750. It was an unwieldy pig by modern standards and required more work than Joan Rivers on a regular basis.

Understand 20 year old bikes do need work, but that's the best way to learn them well IMO. You learn every system on the machine. I wouldn't let age be a deterrent.

I would strongly recommend a good long while after your MSF course to get accustomed to the power and handling of the viffer though. There will be a learning curve going from dirt to a VFR. Lots of parking lot practice, and remember: Keep the feet ON the pegs in turns. (Don't ask me how I know. lol)

• Member Contributer

Some more thoughts on why getting a mc for a 3 mile commute is maybe not so good as it sounds.

Riding a mc imho means ATGATT, all the gear all the time. Donning that every time for such a short time will soon have you ride with loafers on you feet, casual trousers, wind breaker...

Unlesss you get up 1 hour earlier, go for a 1 hour plus 3 mile ride. I can guarantee you will walk into the office with such a grin that your colleagues at the coffee machine will think "he got lucky last nite" ;-) little do they know....

• What are known problems with the VFR, specifically this generation?
  • Electrical as stated above. Being the envy of all other Generation-owners.
  • Problems with higher milage VFR's?
  • There is no such thing as a higher mileage VFR. My 94 has 250K miles and is still running strong.
  • Is there anything I should look out for when buying a VFR?
  • Chain-wear, tires and brakes, brake/clutch fluid. These are normal maintenance items, but if the bike needs them now, maybe he would split the difference and negotiate a slightly better price. The plastic should fit together nicely at the seams. It is missing the stickers on the mid-fairing, that could be a sign of previous damage/replaced parts (Does it have a salvage title?). Throttle should have minimal play.
  • Could I maintain this bike on my own for the most part?
  • Yes, with a 12mm socket and 5mm allen wrench you could almost dismantle the whole bike. Seriously, very little maintenance is required: frequent oil changes, lube the chain and check the tension. Buy a front stand so you can remove both wheels for tire changes. Just bring it for valve checks every 20-25K miles if you dont want to do it yourself (which is another 1-day job in the garage if you have the time and patience...and tools).
  • Would this make a good first/learning bike?
  • If you are 6'0" and 175lbs or bigger its probably fine. You'll be able to stand flat-footed over the bike. It is a bit on the heavy side compared to typical beginner bikes or modern sport-bikes. But you get used to it.
  • How much should I be looking to pay given the information above.
  • If he'll supply a pipe, and there are no obvious signs of plastic damage or that the bike was dropped (beyond the plastic needing TLC and a once-over for the bike)...plus he includes the grab-handles and the spanner wrench for adjusting the chain. I would say $2500-3000 would be a great deal for this bike. It already has a few things that are nice to have: Zero Gravity Double Bubble windscreen, tank bra, rear seat cowl, plus custom wheels that set it apart.

Paul in SoCal

• Member Contributer

this may be a little over kill..

BUT.. if i were you.. get the bike. and buy a dented tank.

take off the body..

add some frame sliders and a round head light..

put a 1000 or 2 miles on it..

if you still like it. and haven't dropped it in the last 800 miles. put the body on and love it for life,

:cheerleader:

Since you asked my opinion . . .

This is not a good motorcycle for a beginner to do a three-mile commute in traffic. It is heavy and kinda ungainly at parking-lot speed and the plastic bits are expensive to replace/repair. Three miles is ridiculously short for a VFR commute. I live a mile from my office and NEVER commute on my motorcycle. By the time I put on my gear, warm the VFR ride it to the parking lot, and change my clothes, I could have already arrived on my bicycle and started in on my first cup of coffee.

Now, if you want to ride on the open road on weekends and take some sport-touring trips to Idaho, this model will be a blast!

But, I know you will do what you want to do. The 4th Generation is probably my favorite of all the VFRs. The missing/modded exhaust raises a question mark for me. Also, these V-4 engines and carbs are kinda complicated for a shade-tree mechanic, and the bike is getting old for the local Honda dealership to want to work on, but . . .

• Member Contributer

Along with having to gear up, three miles may not be long enough to get the engine properly warmed up. Engines like it when the oil is up to temp.

Pricewise. Around $2k at the absolute most. It's been damaged, the mirrors have been changed and might be garbage quality, no exhaust, and who knows what condition the chain, sprockets, electrical, battery, steering head bearings, and suspension are in. I would want more info on the bike before I bought it.

Wow guys, thanks for all of your input.

First a little about me:

I am 6'-1" and about 265lbs, I would say that my overall riding ability is limited. I used my short drive to work as my standard commmute. I also travel about 5 miles to the gym daily, and play city sports in the evening at different parks, ranging in distance from 5-20 miles. I guess I should be clear that I do have a car as well, so the VFR would not be my only means of transportation. I lift daily and I would say that the bike weight does not worry me at all, obviously learning to ride it worries me a little, but thats what open parking lots are for right? I was drawn to this bike for a few reasons, first and formost, it belongs to a friend of a friend, hes a good guy and I work with him professonally. Other great reasons include, price to buy, cost of gas, and insurance perks.

When I first decided that I wanted to ride, I went and looked at all sorts of bikes. Given my size and weight, small 250's really did not make much sense, and scooters, well lets just say I would rather walk. Then as I started looking into bike I liked I came across the F4i which I was sure was going to be the bike for me. That was until reality kicked in and it turns out that my insurance company classifies the F4i in the same manner as CBRs and GSXRs, i.e. upwards of a $150 a month to ride, which makes no sense. When I heard about this VFR I passed that info on to my insurance company and was surprised to learn that it would cost me about $30 a month to insure, and would alow me to reclassify my main car as recreational (cheaper insurance).

I guess I sould also clerify that the pictures of the bike are pictures that he had sent to me early on. When I went and looked at the bike it had a pipe, and looked very clean for its age. When he first offred me the bike he offred it $2000. To which I basiclly said, no thanks and continued on my way. The next time I saw him we chit chatted and we talked down to $1700. I still feel like that is a bit high for the bike and would give him $1500 on the spot, cash for the bike.

The bike does have a clean title, and more than likely went down on the right side. The fairings will need some work, I would plan to restore them, and the front tire off the bat needs to be replaced.

I apprecate everyones opinions and I hope this second post generates some more.

Thanks guys.

Another thing that occurred to me - although the VFR is kinda clumsy for a beginner at parking-lot speed, it certainly won't surprise anyone with unmanageable, unanticpated raw POWER. The power curve is linear and relatively modest, and unplanned wheelies and breaking the rear tire loose aren't serious concerns!

I can tell you already want this one. Take the MSF course and get geared-up for the ride (crash). When I started there wasn't a CraigsList or an eBay to buy cheap used gear. Now there is. Take advantage if you want to save some money while you figure out what kind of gear you really want. BUT buy a new helmet!

Oh, and wait on repairing the lower fairing until after you feel comfy on the bike . . .

I'm 5'8, 215#, 31" inseam & I got a 6th gen as my first bike, never road more than a few minutes here & there on friends bikes. I dropped it the first time backing out of my driveway, lost my footing & couldn't hold it up. The power isn't hard to manage if you're disaplined. The handling takes more effort than I expected but has gotten easier. The thing that was the hardest was feeling confident about stopping on uneven road surfaces where I might have only been able to use one foot because of my hieght & bike weight. Over time I've learned what I need to do to keep myself stable at stops & manage the weight of the bike. Do I think I should have started smaller & lighter? Absolutely. Do I regret buying my vfr? Hell no! This thing is so awesome & totally rewarding! It's like a trained attack dog that will kill on demand but will also let the kids pull its tail & not budge. If you can be honest with yourself, disaplined & confident enough to manage it you won't regret it.

• Member Contributer

For someone who is in good shape, over 6' tall and will put in the time and effort to learn the basic skills to ride safely as well as learning street survival skills, the VFR isn't a bad bike.

Personally I would buy a lighter and less powerful bike to start on. I'd hate to trash a bike I liked, just because I was learning (falling, dropping...).

The good is that the VFR should fit you ok and the engine's powerband is great to learn with while still having power to get out of the way. I think it is very easy to work on, but that's highly subjective.

The bike was the top of the class, as far as I'm concerned, and it's holding it's own after almost 20 years.

That can't be said about most motor driven vehicles.

Everyone has already mention probably the worst thing about these bikes: the charging issues but don't let that stop you.

The used parts availability is not great and new parts are as expensive as newer bikes parts. Also all the hoses, connectors, threads, seals, gaskets are almost 20 years old. The mileage isn't an issue. The aging factor: oxidation, rust, degradation, etc. are.

Even if you pick up this bike, I would still look around for a lighter, smaller displacement starter bike.

After getting some experience and confidence on it you could probably get rid of it for what you picked it up for.

Good luck and this site is a good source of information on VFRs and riding in general.

Smaller would be better, but what the hell. Your a big dude, and you have some dirt experience so it'll probably even out in the end. Just keep a level head, that guy diving into the corner around the outside of you might, A: be that good, or B: be about to eat shit, no reason to try and follow him.

Buy some good gear, a decent textile jacket, padded riding pants (they have some that look like jeans too), actual motorcycle boots, and a good pair of leather riding gloves. Get a good helmet, I have two, a Shoei with my intercoms in it for touring and an Icon for solo sport use. Stay away from used helmets and cheapo crap. Wear your gear, if any of us catch you without it we are taking your key and running away! (kidding of course, but seriously, wear the stuff, we know its hot out, doesnt matter)

And buy two new tires, put new ones on myself tonight and I had sort of forgotten how massive a difference it makes in the bike. Might as well start off with it riding the best it can. Michelin Pilot Road 2 and 3s seem to be popular here, I like the Pirelli Angels myself. Having an oil change and basic service done at a shop might be a good idea too. You have tons of time to learn how to do the maintenance later, get this one done so you can just think about riding the damn thing.

And last, enjoy! its a hell of a bike, try to have some fun.

Anyway, I started riding in the dirt at age 14 and on the road at age 16. I am probably the last guy who has any insight whatsoever on beginning riding as an adult. Be smart! You CAN be smart on a 4th Gen VFR. That's about all I can offer.

• Member Contributer

I will 7th Tightwad and the VFRness. As for suspension, I don't think you'll even notice it was designed for a 150 pound rider, so that can wait. But it should be on the to do list in about a year.

Asking if its a good first bike . . . I've always said a motorcycle is like giving a 17 y/o a Corvette, it can unlock your inner idiot. So how idiotic are you? I was fairly idiotic, and promptly crashed my first bike at speed. You will have a 150 mph bike under you. If you have some discipline, you might drop it but parking lot speeds are embarrassing, triple digits are deadly. Double digits can be deadly.

I predict (me and my crystal ball over here) that if you buy a 250ish, you'll enjoy it, but you will be limited to how far you want to ride. At 70 mph, you'll be close to the 100 top speed, and you'll he happy to use it as a short commuter. The VFR will beg to go on longer rides, and IF YOUR SMART, you'll have a blast ATGATT. Only two fingers on the front brake. READ. Twist of the Wrist and The Pace. ATGATT. It's important enough to mention twice.

For thought, I rode a Ninja 650 and it was stupid easy to ride slow. Less and cheaper plastic to break. Plan on dropping your first bike, It you don't, super. When you do, you thought you would eventually anyways. If you'll be devastated because she rolled over on you, find a naked or endure bike. In AZ, I think an endure would be pretty awesome. But don't let me scare you away from the VFR. If your cautious and relatively athletic, there are far worse bikes than this as a first.

Disclaimer: my first real bike was a FZR400. Pretty small and light, but didn't hit it's power band until 12k rpm. I wasn't skilled enough to really enjoy this bike, After I had that for about I year, I sold it and bought a 3rd gen VFR. She still exceeds my skill level, but she is a delightful companion that I can ride up to Monterey, and enjoy the canyons on the way.

• Member Contributer

Good morning!

Had to do a bit of math in the morning, converting to metric...

120kg is one hefty load for the oem suspension, so ask your friend if the front and rear springs were upgraded.

( :offtopic: 120kg at 1,85meter tall would be considered a too heavy load on your body in in the Netherlands :goofy: )

So size wise/strength wise you will be able to handle the bike, So do invest in learning the technique of handling and braking, that is even more important

Did I already mention to get a bicycle? :goofy:

For that is one thing I just realised.... any dutch person will have been riding bicycles from the age of 5 or so. so when it comes to learning to ride a motorcylce, the physics of cornering (and knowing how much a fall hurts..) in engrained in the brain. for all I know it is in our genes by now....

If you are smitten with the 4th gen (I was/am), do not haggle for every last $, he is your colleague and you consider him a friend.

Cheers :beer:

• Member Contributer

With veefer. At your weight, you are going to need to get bigger springs, especially once you add on the weight of the gear. The OEM suspension was designed for a japanese guy who weighed 150 sopping wet.

I might still look at a dual sport, 400-650cc. The thumpers have plenty of torque all over. But $1700 is a fair price if everything is running and in order. Not like you would have kept the stock anchor exhaust anyways.

• Member Contributer

You should learn to ride on the street the same way I did, on a 2 stroke KX125 LOL!! I'm sure some profanities were spewed by the police when they saw me turn off the road onto a heavily wooded trail to never be seen again for that day.

Rollin

Archived