Pirelli Angel Gt - Kebrider Initial Report

kebrider

• Member Contributer

I always run max recommended cold pressures, 36 front, 42 rear and I have always had more grip than lean angle. I worry less about overall grip and more about road hazard damage. When I hit a sizable pavement irregularity at a buck thirty I like to know I didn't just bend a rim or damage a tire.

At Jennings one time I ran my VFR tires as low as 30 front and 30 rear to get the tires hot on a cool morning. As the day warmed up I went back to 36/42 and still ran out of lean angle before loosing any grip but I felt like the lower pressures provided a little more grip. I felt smoother on the higher pressures fwiw.

KEB

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

^^ + 1 ^^

I'd have to lose a lot of weight before I even think about dropping the recommended tire pressures...

Thanks guys. Looks like I should be running on my bike's recommendation then of 36/42's (cold) or close too, and ignore those who are telling me to run down at low 30's. I have no desire to use up tread quicker than I need to, and there's a good point made about damaging rims. Thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback.

• Member Contributer

I just ordered a set of Angel GTs to be delivered to Glory Racing for Hog Tie. Y'all are very convincing.

I just discovered both of my 5th gens need new steeringhead bearings and my PR2s surfaces feel very irregular. I assume the bearings are the cause of the irregular wear. But they still have tread at more than 9,000 mi. Amazingly long wearing. I just put 6500 mi on them on my trip to LA. Lots of slabbing; there's a flat spot down the middle now. Hoping they get me 700 mi to Ark. I hope the Angles will last as long.

• Member Contributer

I just ordered a set of Angel GTs to be delivered to Glory Racing for Hog Tie. Y'all are very convincing.

I just discovered both of my 5th gens need new steeringhead bearings and my PR2s surfaces feel very irregular. I assume the bearings are the cause of the irregular wear. But they still have tread at more than 9,000 mi. Amazingly long wearing. I just put 6500 mi on them on my trip to LA. Lots of slabbing; there's a flat spot down the middle now. Hoping they get me 700 mi to Ark. I hope the Angles will last as long.

Wow! 9K miles... I guess I squash mine down a little more then you do :goofy:

Get your steering head bearings fixed and they may last even longer!

• Member Contributer

I'm no knee dragger. And I'm kind of a feather weight. I guess that explains a lot.

:tour:

• Member Contributer

Terry,

There is also a big difference in the road surface between the Southeast and upper Midwest...I think you will love the Angel GT's and end up replacing them before the tread is gone.

• Member Contributer

Rode my new set of Angel GT's for some 400km yesterday (trip to/through Belgium with a bunch of -mainly- VFR riders)

It rained/drizled most of the day and some of the road's surfaces were not the best but the Angels gave plenty confidence and precise handling.

Me likey! :cheerleader:

angel_zpscf386bbf.jpg

stretch_zps2b94be56.jpg

koffie_zpsa76efff0.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks!

Posted already but here an Angel GT with the rim washed and waxed!

post-8974-0-70553100-1409595267.jpg

:wub2:

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see that this thread is still going and favouring the Angel GT as I discovered tonight I need new boots. Ride to work the other morning was -1C. Don't think trusting this boot is a good idea...sad part is we are forecasted for some warmer weather for the rest of the week...forced to drive my truck tomorrow.post-31041-0-16480300-1411421942.jpg

• Member Contributer

Glad to see that this thread is still going and favouring the Angel GT as I discovered tonight I need new boots. Ride to work the other morning was -1C. Don't think trusting this boot is a good idea...sad part is we are forecasted for some warmer weather for the rest of the week...forced to drive my truck tomorrow.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Mileage ?

Switchblade I am not sure of the mileage as these Angels (ST) were already on the bike when I bought her 4400 Km ago. When she was safetied Aug.7th the mechanic thought I'd get about 2000 km more on them before needing a replacement....well I doubled that. So I can only say for certain that she was more than 4400km.

I like the grip these Angels gave so I'm looking forward to the GT's....just need to find the quickest way to get them and on her with nice weather here.

I bought 3 sets of GT's based of some jokers recommendation here, but sold the other two sets after running the first set.(razing keb)

Good tires, grip, feel & confidence, but just wore out way to quick for me. IMO they don't offer enough over a pp/pr2 set to loose the 50% better ware the Michelins offer.

But again I don't live on the Gap either so excellent grip vs steller is good enough for my Pace.

BR

• Member Contributer

I bought 3 sets of GT's based of some jokers recommendation here, but sold the other two sets after running the first set.(razing keb)

Good tires, grip, feel & confidence, but just wore out way to quick for me. IMO they don't offer enough over a pp/pr2 set to loose the 50% better ware the Michelins offer.

But again I don't live on the Gap either so excellent grip vs steller is good enough for my Pace.

BR

Strange that I got 50% more wear from the AGT over my last PR2. One of the reasons I quit using Pirellis a few years ago was because of the obvious inconsistency between same-model tires, both grip and wear. Was hoping they had that "feature" behind them. I used to love the Diablo Corsa and then it turned to crap (pun intended).

Well with the assistance of my lovely wife I got Bee loaded into the back of my truck the next morning and headed to Ottawa after work to get some new Angels (GT) mounted so I only missed the one day of riding. They actually still had some angels and demons in stock but I went with these.

In order to keep track of the mileage....mounted at 42351 km.....now I/we can track the mileagepost-31041-0-53070200-1411915930.jpg

Must say being the first time riding on new tires the steering was quite different at the start. Way more confident on these AGTs than my worn out welcome with the old and worn out Angels and Demons...talk about stick and grip...don't see these helping with the concept of cruising along though lol

I just threw a pair of GTs on my VFR12 after the stock rear BT021RN failed with 3700 miles, and the front BT had greatly exceeded the wear line indicator. Very disappointed with the front BT wearing out so quickly, although perhaps my fault for running it warm at 36 (cold at 30).. The rear seemed to have at least 1/2 more tread to go, but it failed without cause. Honda dealer could not explain failure. Bummer!

Choco seems to swear by the GTs and I can't keep up with him in the twisties so GTs are good enough for now! Looking fwd to putting some time on these bad boys...

post-30487-14119409303987.jpg

• Member Contributer

@BigFish

The only problem I see is you are riding on the middle of the tire too much...LOL! Lots of tread left everywhere else...

• Member Contributer

Rode 700+ miles to Harrison AR for Hog Tie this year on 9,000+ mile PR2 s. After the AGTs were mounted up by GloryRacing, the new tires on my y2k "disappeared" from consideration. Felt like I was riding on rubber-covered Road Magnets. Fabulous - as long as the rubber was on tarmac :blush2: !

• Member Contributer

Rode 700+ miles to Harrison AR for Hog Tie this year on 9,000+ mile PR2 s. After the AGTs were mounted up by GloryRacing, the new tires on my y2k "disappeared" from consideration. Felt like I was riding on rubber-covered Road Magnets. Fabulous - as long as the rubber was on tarmac :blush2: !

Oh no you didn't !!!

Archived