Pirelli Angel Gt - Kebrider Initial Report

kebrider

• Member Contributer

First off thanks to Earthshake for the free front tire offer or I would have never put a Pirelli Angel on the VFR. I took my first ride with them yesterday and after 280 miles of alternating rain and sun they get my vote as the best street tire I have ever used. Bar none. Incredibly precise and light steering. Grip to the edges in spades. Feedback is perfect. Rain grip was outrageous as I skimmed a peg a few times in the rain.

As much as I love the S20s the Angel GTs has the same grip levels and even better feedback without looking like a track tire every time I park the bike (the S20s always look they just got off the track as my nearly 800lbs of bike and rider really stresses the soft rubber). I love the S20s but the GTs feel even better when new and early claims are they have class leading durability. The beauty of the S20s is they never feel like they are worn out even when they treadless. If you look at my mileages of the S20s in the chart below you will see that I keep wearing them out quicker and that is because I keep getting more and more confident with them.

Just to give an idea of what the East TN, West NC and North GA mountains do to tires look at a section of my vehicle maintenance spreadsheet:

post-1814-0-15487000-1373882192.jpg

Couple of notable highlights from yesterday's tire test:

• Had a blast on the Dragon with some hardcores from Missouri. They loved the "pizza delivery" anniversary edition VFR
  • Got a peg down in a kink on 28 just before the uphill technical section that dumps you into the Gap. At triple digits.
  • Skimmed the pegs in the rain on the 74-to-Franklin section of 28
  • The most fun I have ever had in the rain in my life, every bit as good as the PR3s on the Tiger which let me scrape pegs in the wet as well.

Of course the jury is still out on these tires until they prove themselves over their entire service life. Got a weeks worth of riding coming up next week so I should know soon how they last. My last two sets lasted one month as you can see in my service spreadsheet screenshot with the last set of S20s roasting the rear in just 1,250 miles. I usually wear out the front first but the front is barely to the wear bars while the rear is deep into the side wear bars. The fact I roached the rear first is due to very aggressive (fun) Dragon/Skway runs.

I was hoping the GTs would be like the 023 Bridgestones in that they would steer well but drift enough at speed to keep me a step slower as I need to back it down a notch. I have been catching motards in the mountains and I will need to replace the footpegs soon. These are some of life's warning signs to say slow down.

First impression of the Angel GTs is they are the best tire I ever used on the street, I am completely blown away by how good they are. Next week I will know if they stay that way. There is a group of sport bike riders from Missouri that plan on buying them just from the demonstration I gave them yesterday and I bet Switchblade would try a set too after seeing what they will do from his PR2 vantage point yesterday.

KEB

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I've got new stones sitting in the garage, S20's and 23GT's for the R1 and VFR respectively. Neither set will be used any time soon but after reading your report I'm mounting Angel GT's on BOTH bikes next go around. Got damn me for stalling on that free front deal. Snoozers are losers!

• Member Contributer

I've got new stones sitting in the garage, S20's and 23GT's for the R1 and VFR respectively. Neither set will be used any time soon but after reading your report I'm mounting Angel GT's on BOTH bikes next go around. Got damn me for stalling on that free front deal. Snoozers are losers!

Both those stones are great tires and proven to have great performance throughout their life. The Angels still need to prove themselves over time. They are off to an amazing start.

KEB

• Member Contributer

+1 on waiting to order the free front but didn't think there would be many takers, yeah impressed with what I seen yesterday for sure.

• Member Contributer

Keb,

Glad to hear about your feedback on the Angel GTs. Did you go with the regular version or the A Specs? Also did you go with the 120/ 70-17 front?

• Member Contributer

120/70 front and standard spec front and rear. The tires mounted very easily, felt a lot like the P3s I installed for Tmac

• Member Contributer

Both those stones are great tires and proven to have great performance throughout their life. The Angels still need to prove themselves over time. They are off to an amazing start.

KEB

Understood and what i meant. If mileage is good (yet to be determined) I will switch over to them. The R1 with the underslung caliper and Lightech chain adjusters is a PITA for rear tire changes. I only get 1800 miles out of a rear now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been 15 days. Down to the wear bars yet?!?

I think my new (to me) viffy sat for an extended period in FLA and a batch of small dwarves or "ill humours" have afflicted my front Conit Road Attack. I have a rumbly wobble at low speed that I'm pretty sure is tire based.

So... I'm subscribed and awaiting mo' data!!

(P.S. I have a rehearsal tonite so, sadly, I won't make it to the Time Warp this eve.)

• Member Contributer

They seemed to struggle in the gravel, but I will still be putting a set on the next time I need tires ;)

Do you own Pirelli stock? Should buy some of that, too.

• Member Contributer

Damn, that good huh?

I asked Pirelli (IT) about putting one on the back of my R1 as my rear Diablo Rosso II was shot and the response I got back in busted English was that they had wrung them out, at the track! This was this past winter. He was implying that you don't need a stickier front that these tires were plenty sticky and last. I'm loving this as Pirelli and Metzeler compounds are my favorites for some reason. Always have preferred them over Dunslops, Slippelins, and even Stones.

• Member Contributer

The update is I have 1,200 miles on the Angels and they look practically new. Stupid grip, ridiculous wear. The Angel GT changes everything. The only time they did not exceed expectation was in a gravel-filled right-hander but that is not a tire issue.

Generally speaking I have run these tires slightly less hard than I ran the last set of S20s but I have still packed plenty of sport miles on and these tires have as much grip as anything I have ever run on the VFR. I will not put another tire on the VFR unless a new model tire hits the market that is designed to match the Angel GTs performance. I am stunned by the superior grip/wear/steering characteristics of this tire and I really hope Pirelli doesn't decide to change it.

I do caution that I need to perform end of life testing but when was the last time I have had a set of tires last over 1,000 miles and they still look and feel new? When I say the look new I mean they have minimal loss of shape and the tread is very deep. I will post pictures tonight if I get time.

We put them on the Versys and now The Girl fights me over riding the V. 007 will vouch for how good these tires are on the Versys but I'm sure that just following Donna through the mountains was enough to convince Steve the Versys/Angel GT combo is excellent.

KEB

• Member Contributer

I will be interested in reading how you like them when they are in the last half to 25% of tread life. Some tires (like PR2's) seem to be less than stellar when pushed toward the last 25% of tread life. Hopefully the Angel GT's will be performing well...

EDIT: I can't find a topic for a BT023 review...did you do one? I'm getting ready to run a set of them on my CB1R

• Member Contributer

I have to agree with everything Keb has said on these. Mine are mounted on my '07 RWB. I usually ride with bags. Ohlins rear shock, Traxxion Dynamics forks (personally valved by Jamie for me). So the bike handled well before with the PR2 rear and PP2CT front.

I have about 1,000 miles on them and they are just sick, sick sick tires. My new favorites for the street. I have to say that these really exceeded my expectations. When I wear out my PP3s on my '01 I will be putting them on. They make my '07 feel 100 lbs lighter, my fuel mileage went up (these Angels lighter than the previous tires), wonderful bump absorption, they have very quick turn in and AMAZING grip. We have alot of roundabouts in Indy and I can't believe how fast the bike flicks from side to side now. I havent had them in the rain yet but from everything I have heard, I am actually looking forward to it.

• Member Contributer

Anyone have any long term reports? As in how many miles one can look forward to out of a set. I like my PR2's as they are leaps and bounds better than the Dunlops that come on my '09, plus I have over 10k on them, so I would hope that whatever tire I replace them with will last as long. My '09 is mostly for commuting but I do take it for some sporty rides now and again. Probably why I like the PR2's so much as they work well for both applications. I'll be needing new tires soon, but I've been saying that for a month now as these PR2s don't want to wear out and the report here looks like I have a potential candidate for a replacement tire.

• Member Contributer

I've always loved my Angel STs... I'm on my second set. Now I can't wait for them to wear out so I can try the GTs!!!

• Member Contributer

Anyone have any long term reports? As in how many miles one can look forward to out of a set. I like my PR2's as they are leaps and bounds better than the Dunlops that come on my '09, plus I have over 10k on them, so I would hope that whatever tire I replace them with will last as long. My '09 is mostly for commuting but I do take it for some sporty rides now and again. Probably why I like the PR2's so much as they work well for both applications. I'll be needing new tires soon, but I've been saying that for a month now as these PR2s don't want to wear out and the report here looks like I have a potential candidate for a replacement tire.

When KEB says that his tires look new after 1,000 miles, that indicates they wear incredibly well. He shreds most tires over that distance. You should expect comparable wear to the PR2s based on extrapolation of this data, unless they do something weird later on. I am all ears to know the handling/wear characteristics in the last 25% of life. The Girl is wicked fast.

When KEB says that his tires look new after 1,000 miles, that indicates they wear incredibly well. He shreds most tires over that distance. You should expect comparable wear to the PR2s based on extrapolation of this data, unless they do something weird later on. I am all ears to know the handling/wear characteristics in the last 25% of life. The Girl is wicked fast.

Ok guys, you need to stop with all the compliments. I am not that fast.....Kimball was going slow that day so it made me look fast.

I am having a blast on the Versys with the new Angel GT's. Do these tires make my ass look fast? :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Wow, Angel GT's go for $300 while the BT023's only $235 a set. Would like to see these compared and contrasted...

• Member Contributer

Wow, Angel GT's go for $300 while the BT023's only $235 a set. Would like to see these compared and contrasted...

I have run one set of 023's on the VFR and a couple on the Versys. Decent rear tire that sticks OK and wears decently but I could make them squirm and run wide on both bikes. It is an old fashioned ST tire that is fairly neutral, stable on the brakes and does nothing wrong. If you get them real hot and stay on the soft compound section they do OK.

The Angel GT does everything better, much better, with the only unknown being wear but that looks like it will be better with the Angel GT as well.

After using both I get why one is more expensive than the other.

KEB

• Member Contributer

I have run one set of 023's on the VFR and a couple on the Versys. Decent rear tire that sticks OK and wears decently but I could make them squirm and run wide on both bikes. It is an old fashioned ST tire that is fairly neutral, stable on the brakes and does nothing wrong. If you get them real hot and stay on the soft compound section they do OK.

The Angel GT does everything better, much better, with the only unknown being wear but that looks like it will be better with the Angel GT as well.

After using both I get why one is more expensive than the other.

KEB

And to clear, you were referencing the 023 or 023GT?

• Member Contributer

023. Never tried the GT. I will likely try the T30 when it gets to the states since I believe Bridgestone deserves a look based on their recent improvements.

Archived