Perpetually Loose Chain

Ive tightend my chain a couple of times in the last two weeks. Everytime i do it i ride around for at least 40 miles and come back to the garage to see that my chain has gone limp again. There is at least an inch or two of travel and idk how it keeps getting loose after i tighten it. My guess is that the chain is shot but i thought i'd ask you all here to see if anyone has ever has similar issues.

• Member Contributer

Are you torquing down the pinch bolt to spec?

+1, BTW it's 54 ft. lbs. on 5th/6th Gens

• Member Contributer

What is an 'inch or two' of travel? Is it an inch? Or two? Are you measuring? Shouldn't it be somewhere around an inch and a quarter or so?

• Member Contributer

Sounds like something besides a worn out chain and sprockets is going on since it seems to take no time at all to become loose. Are you checking on the centerstand? When correctly adjusted it should have about 1 1/4" of play at its tightest point, so you should rotate the wheel until all sections are checked (all while on the centerstand). If you have followed this procedure and have properly torqued the pinch bolt, then I would say there is a problem with the eccentric/pinch bolt not holding the adjustment.

Yeah, my beat to crap chain does the same thing. Its come to a point where I just let it stay loose because it only goes to a certain point and then seesm to stay there, but every time I have tightened it, it has gotten loose within a few miles, go buy yourself a nice DID or RK.

When a chain is completely worn out, it "stretches" (they don't actually "stretch" like a rubber-band) quickly.

Definitely an end-of-life chain. Any red deposits on your rear wheel? That's the next level - rust from the chain pins, because the rubber seals are no longer doing their job and water is sitting inside the rollers and rusting them from the inside.

I scrubbed the crap out of the chain and inspected both sprockets. They looked fine but there was some "kinking" in the chain, as referenced to in other topics. Its mostly gone away so i'll try and tighten her a couple more times and see if it keeps up. i've tightened it to spec twice now and to answer The phantoms question no, Just mostly clean metal i havn't seen any red. I'll take some pictures if things change and keep it posted!

Thanks Guys! :beer:

You used the torque figure mentioned in the Honda service manual (55Nm / 40ft.lbs.) and not some other manual as those regularly have teh wrong torque specs. What you can also do is adjust teh chain and put a mark on the bearing holder and swingarm to be able to check if the bearing holder rotates in the swingarm. Debris that accumulates on the inside of the swingarm around the bearing holder can sometimes prevent it from being properly clamped.

• Member Contributer

How many miles on the chain and sprockets?

How do the sprocket teeth look?

I'm guessing it's new chain and sprockets time in your near future. Crystal ball is cloudy though. :comp13:

This is not rocket science.

How many miles on the chain and sprockets? 20,000 miles is about the life of chain/sprockets.

Did you replace the sprockets the last time you replaced the chain? If you put a new chain on old sprockets expect less than 20,000 miles.

What is the side-play on the chain, in inches?

Guest Recalcitrance

Just because a chain has no red/rust on it doesn't mean it's not old.

It just sounds like you need a new chain. :beatdeadhorse:

My chains last me about 20,000 or more and look like new when they begin to stretch out. Rust is not the only indicator. You can have rust on a new but neglected chain too.

If you have 20,000-plus miles on the drivetrain, it's time to change it. Go from there.

I'm out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived