Backpack/fanny Pack Alternative

Duc2V4

• Member Contributer

Looking to replace the backpack with something a little less bulky to wear and easier to access. I plan on using it for my wallet, cell phone, house keys and garage door opener mostly, as my leathers do not have much for pockets. I like this concept as I can walk around with these items with me as opposed to being stuck in my tank or tail bag and would make stuff easier to reach too. What are some of you using to store your stuff? Anybody see any issues with this bag?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150722624965?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

• Member Contributer

That's a nice looking piece of kit. Does it fit a spare face shield?

http://www.kriega.us/r3-motorcycle-waistpack/

Get the kube pocket for it also. One of the best m/c pieces of gear I've ever bought. Use it wearing leathers or my Stitch. Once on the bike I don't even notice it, feels weightless.

Personally, I prefer not to have anything on my body if I can help it. If something happens and I go down, I surely don't want some big pack right in the middle of my back which can cause injuries to my spine.

How about a tank bag that converts to a backpack for walking around? There are plenty of those to choose from too.

Personally, I prefer not to have anything on my body if I can help it. If something happens and I go down, I surely don't want some big pack right in the middle of my back which can cause injuries to my spine.

How about a tank bag that converts to a backpack for walking around? There are plenty of those to choose from too.

I concur,after landing on back side @ 50 plus landing on a back pack,leg,fanny or anything would have ended in tears.

• Member Contributer

Depends on what you have in it and mine has padding so it's a non-issue. Perhaps if I was carrying my pistol in it, then it could be potentially dangerous. Stuff you carry in pockets, not so much, definitely not with padding.

Perhaps the larger one they offer does. This one is on the smaller side. Big enough for wallet, keys, garage door opener, cell phone, stuff you'd normally carry in your pockets. Also has an insulated liner so you could carry a beverage if need be, and use the Kube for wallet, keys, etc.

That's a nice looking piece of kit. Does it fit a spare face shield?

Get the kube pocket for it also. One of the best m/c pieces of gear I've ever bought. Use it wearing leathers or my Stitch. Once on the bike I don't even notice it, feels weightless.

• Member Contributer

A little more $ than I was looking to spend, but it looks like a nice setup.

I don't like the backpack for several reasons and landing on one would be one of them, that being said, I always ride with my Knox back protector if I'm sport riding! As far as a tankbag/backpack, I considered those too, but would prefer to not have a backpack to put on/take off all the time, as somtimes it's a pain to have to do so when you have to reach in for your wallet. I like the idea of the leg holster as it keeps things in front of me where I can see it, vs. a fannypack that is behind me. Too paranoid that I might leave the pockets unzipped and have something fall out or get taken by an unscrupulous passerby. When I raced out in the desert, the fanny pack was indespensible, but I never had to stop and pay for gas or take the phone out to make a call when I was walking about. I already have a two different GIVI tank bags that I use when I go to work or if I'm slabbing it somewhere and they have a shoulder strap, but I prefer to have an "unclutered" tank when sport riding and not have a bag that can swing about and hit something or someone when I walk around. Personal preference I guess.

You can always just bungie a backpack to your tail.

I do not trust this setup 100%, I had a backpack almost fall off once possibly due to the flicking back and forth or just not enough tension that allowed the bag to shift over the side of the seat and again, trying to move away from a backpack.

My idea was to use a tail bag to hold things like glove liners, neckerchief, water bottle, granola bars, etc., stuff that I can leave on the bike and not worry about theft, and just keep the more valuable items on me without the clumsiness of a backpack. I ended up buying a tail bag that wraps around the seat so that it is more secure than a bungeed backpack, so now I need to move those fore mentioned personal items out of that bag. I appreciate all the responses and whatever I end up getting I'll post a report on the forum. Thanks Guys!

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Well I pulled the trigger and bought the leg holster. Rode with it today on a short ride and I didn't evet notice it was there. Hopefully I will be finished with helping a fellow VFR owner with his suspension early enough this Saturday to try it out with my leathers, which is what I intend to wear it with anyway. I also plan to do a write up on it once I use it for a while. Funny, after I bought it, there was an identical bag with the Dainese logo on it but is currently bidding @ $23.50 + $14.99 for shipping ($38.49)! I think I ended up paying $17.95 + $6.95 + Tax ($26.52) buy it now price. We'll see if it is worth it, so far I like it.

• Member Contributer

just do not call it fanny pack when you are over in the UK................ :cool:

I am a bit of a bag whore, so I bought one too. Looks decent. Only negative comment is that a couple of the zippers seem cheap. I hope they hold up.

• Member Contributer

just do not call it fanny pack when you are over in the UK................ :cool:

Heard that, one of my English mates got a really strange look when he asked to borrow his coworkers rubber!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Well after using this "holster" a few times I've come to really appreciate what I bought it for. Basically I put my wallet, my iPhone, house keys and what ever change I get when I buy something. At first you feel the weight of the bag on your leg, but once you get moving that goes away. Where this really comes in handy is when stopping for gas or running in to the convenience store to grab some water or snacks. No need to go reaching into your tank/tail bag or taking off a back pack to reach for your wallet, just reach to your side and open the pouch and viola! If anybody is thinking about an alternative to back pack, tank/tail bag, I would definitely recommend this bag. The quality of this bag seems good, but there still the question of longevity, so I'll probably do a long term report after I've had it a bit longer.

Cheers

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I've cliped fanny packs around the passenger seat for years. I probly have 4 or 5 of them. Strap on the size you need for the day.

-- Clip and attach around the seat, install the seat normally like stock like its supposed to. Never had any problems.

FB1.jpg

FBC2.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Just wanted to give my long term report. During the So. Sierra ride we did earlier this month, the "parachute" buckle at the waist broke. I think it was because I was holding my tank bag against my hip while I was walking and must have put to much pressure at the weak point of the buckle. Fortunately these can be found at just about any fabric store, so I went and picked one up. I was hoping that I would find the "matching" end and just be able to replace the broken piece, but this was not the case, I'll have to replace both ends, meaning I have to do some "surgery" on it. Although I could probably just do the replacement myself and hand stitch it back together, I live a half block away from a tailor so I'll probably just take it there to get repaired, I have some other items I need to have altered anyway and this would be a good excuse to get those done as well. Apart from this happening, I was still able to use it, and will continue using it until it gives up the ghost. I have to say that it was one of the better gear purchases I made.

Cheers!

Fanny packs used to be cool when they were the staple for sportsmen like cross country and downhill skiers......

Then Grandma and Grandpa discovered them in the 90's..........and started wearing them under their tummies to the mall.....

• Member Contributer

Fanny packs used to be cool when they were the staple for sportsmen like cross country and downhill skiers......

Then Grandma and Grandpa discovered them in the 90's..........and started wearing them under their tummies to the mall.....

I used to wear my Malcolm Smith Fanny pack when I rode my bicycle to school, a lot guys used to ask me about it and wanted to get one. Then then the generic ones started popping up all over the place, much smaller in size by comparison though. What I like about this bag is that it is more like a holster than a fanny pack.

Archived