190/55 On A Vfr?

Bosarge22

• Member Contributer

The difference between a 180/55 and a 190/55 is profile and
diameter... the 190 is bigger in diameter and sharper in profile...
the change in geometry is as follows... going to a 190 from a 180
means rake is steepen and trail is shorten... which adds up to quicker
handling but the trade off for a bigger diameter tire is slower
acceleration and lower rpms during cruise... technically speaking if
your bike did not come stock with a 190/55 then I would not recommend
it... stock diameters give the best overall fit and feel at our levels
of joy...

190/55/17=25.228 641mm

180/55/17=24.795 629mm

The difference between a 190/50 and a 190/55 is profile and
diameter... the 55 is bigger in diameter and sharper in profile... the
change in geometry is as follows... going from a 50 to a 55 means rake
is steepen and trail is shorten... which adds up to quicker handling
but the trade off for a bigger diameter tire is slower acceleration
and lower rpms during cruise... technically speaking if your bike did
not come stock with a 190/55 then I would not recommend it... stock
diameters give the best overall fit and feel at our levels of joy...

190/50/17 = 24.480 inches or 621mm

190/55/17 = 25.228 inches or 640mm

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put the GPA's on my VFR and have about 1000 miles on them. They feel SO much better then the stock Metzler's. I hated those tires. I'm not sure if the taller profile is helping turn or just the tire itself but dragging knee and hard parts on the big girl would be easy. Feels so much more nimble. I know I won't get a lot of miles on them but for free that's ok. I think I'll just keep cycling old track tires from the CBR to the VFR and save some money. Even slicks.

I have ran slicks on the front of the VFR for 4 years much better than another tire period.I run the michelin power cup v profile A compound on the gsxr750 best tire hands down.

If you ever run it you won't run anything else.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=30993

You get the best performance from racing slicks only if you get them to proper temperatures. Unlike on the track, street riding never really gets them warm enough to do so, I bet that in most cases you will still get better performance with good treaded street "sport" tires when riding on the street than on slick racing tires..... = racing slicks for street riding is mostly a waste of money....

Unless you are using take offs from track days or races and they are free or 25% of new...

from your link Norton "Tire Warmers: The use of warming blankets is HIGHLY recommended with POWER CUP. The ideal use of would consist of heating to 176 ° F or 80 ° C for 30 to 40 minutes before riding the tires on the track to ensure the tire use is at its optimum temperature to ensure optimum performance."

More good stuff in the link about how much to increase tire pressure for wet tracks and cold tracks...

Regarding the original topic...try a 170 on the rear of your VFR and prepare to be amazed.

Not a WASTE of money,I put a front michelin slick on in march and ride all season on that front tire,if have not done so you really make a comment,I ride with several other riders who have do so also.Sure you don't get a 100% out of the tire but what do get is heads above any other tire and they last all seasons of hard riding.Went to the cup cause the street legal,and just as good.

Last year will riding in WNC the bike in front of lost the front then the bike behind did the same,both totaled and they came home on a flatt back,so I'd say the michelin cup worth the money.

Rear's are not worth it,run a pilot power,and 180 the best if OEM calls for that size.

One season of good luck with a slick front does not change the fact that the tire was designed by the manufacturer for the track and the conditions and tire temperatures that you expect in such....

Unless you might be a tire engineer from Michelin, Pirelli or Bridgestone, I will consider your insistence on using slicks on the street as a good idea as suspect, at best.....

One season of good luck with a slick front does not change the fact that the tire was designed by the manufacturer for the track and the conditions and tire temperatures that you expect in such....

Unless you might be a tire engineer from Michelin, Pirelli or Bridgestone, I will consider your insistence on using slicks on the street as a good idea as suspect, at best.....

Funny you should say that retired conti,general employee 25 years,I scrapped more rubber off the bottom of my shoes then you'll use in your life time .

If you have a ear to hear that's cool if not all the fact's are nothing.It is what it is.

• Member Contributer

I bought about 4 sets of Pilot Pure take offs from a friend who sold his Gixxer 1000. Since I sold my Tuono I decided to spoon them onto the VFR. The went on fit and rode just fine. I did notice some strange early wear just off center. Pures have a very light carcass so maybe only applies to them. I gladly went back to a Pilot Road 2 180/55. I like the way the bike handles with the 180's better.

I bought about 4 sets of Pilot Pure take offs from a friend who sold his Gixxer 1000. Since I sold my Tuono I decided to spoon them onto the VFR. The went on fit and rode just fine. I did notice some strange early wear just off center. Pures have a very light carcass so maybe only applies to them. I gladly went back to a Pilot Road 2 180/55. I like the way the bike handles with the 180's better.

I used pilot pures on my ktm 640 SM and they were awesome. Liked them so much I tried a set on my Vfr.

On the heavier Vfr they were great when new, but that didn't last long. They quickly became vague, especially on the front. Rate of wear was the same as any other sport tyre, they just lost feel very quickly.

Now running Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2s, which are brilliant in hot and dry and cold and wet. Using a190/55, but on a 6 inch rear from a 1098.

• Member Contributer

I dunno, but I just put a 170/60 on my '99... :goofy:

And the size your '99 calls for is...? Notice any differences? How many miles do you have on it?

A 180/55 is standard for all VFRs other than the 4G and the 7G (not counting the bias ply 1G)...Kev did this initially after changing a set of tires on his ST1300.

The ST runs a narrower 170 rear and handles surprising quick for such a large bike. He spooned a 170 on his 5G VFR and came by, tossed me the keys without telling me what he had done. I was really surprised at how quickly it turned in.

I am not sure why people want to run larger, heavier, slower to turn tires on the 5.5" rear rims of 3/4 liter VFRs...

I dunno, but I just put a 170/60 on my '99... :goofy:

And the size your '99 calls for is...? Notice any differences? How many miles do you have on it?

A 180/55 is standard for all VFRs other than the 4G and the 7G (not counting the bias ply 1G)...Kev did this initially after changing a set of tires on his ST1300.

The ST runs a narrower 170 rear and handles surprising quick for such a large bike. He spooned a 170 on his 5G VFR and came by, tossed me the keys without telling me what he had done. I was really surprised at how quickly it turned in.

I am not sure why people want to run larger, heavier, slower to turn tires on the 5.5" rear rims of 3/4 liter VFRs...

Mehhhh....I've learned through the years that it all comes down to what looks kewhlest on their bikes...and for some people, the power of kewhl can be more powerful than the power of logic...kinda like the constant clashes between religion and science.....

That's why tire threads like this will always come up in forums like this .....long after we're all gone...Oil threads, WATCH OUT! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies, some interesting stuff in there. The tires are free so that's why I did it. I know its not optimal but is so much better than the tires I had on it. If I lower the pressure and take my time in the twisties they will get plenty warm and have tons of grip for the moderate riding I do in the mountains. The only place I haul ass these days is on the track with a track bike. Street I am very low key, just want to have fun on rides. Hope to get to NC and Tennessee this spring again.

• Member Contributer

The difference between a 180/55 and a 190/55 is profile and

diameter... the 190 is bigger in diameter and sharper in profile...

the change in geometry is as follows... going to a 190 from a 180

means rake is steepen and trail is shorten... which adds up to quicker

handling but the trade off for a bigger diameter tire is slower

acceleration and lower rpms during cruise... technically speaking if

your bike did not come stock with a 190/55 then I would not recommend

it... stock diameters give the best overall fit and feel at our levels

of joy...

190/55/17=25.228 641mm

180/55/17=24.795 629mm

The difference between a 190/50 and a 190/55 is profile and

diameter... the 55 is bigger in diameter and sharper in profile... the

change in geometry is as follows... going from a 50 to a 55 means rake

is steepen and trail is shorten... which adds up to quicker handling

but the trade off for a bigger diameter tire is slower acceleration

and lower rpms during cruise... technically speaking if your bike did

not come stock with a 190/55 then I would not recommend it... stock

diameters give the best overall fit and feel at our levels of joy...

190/50/17 = 24.480 inches or 621mm

190/55/17 = 25.228 inches or 640mm

Two questions, I highlighted in the first paragraph,"going to a 190 from a 180 means rake is steepen and trail is shorten". Don't you mean going from 180 to 190...? Second, the equality you show are these total diameters of mounted pressurized tires? Thanks...

• Member Contributer

Two questions, I highlighted in the first paragraph,"going to a 190 from a 180 means rake is steepen and trail is shorten". Don't you mean going from 180 to 190...? Second, the equality you show are these total diameters of mounted pressurized tires? Thanks...

When the aspect ratios are the same going to a 190/55 from a 180/55 steeps rake and shorts trail whereas when the aspect

ratios are different going to 190/50 from a 180/55 adds rake and trail... yes the equality I show are total diameters of mounted

pressurized tires...

• 9 months later...

Well I am on my second set of off DOT race tires from my track bike, 190/55. Can't argue with free. After running the first set of GPA 211's on the VFR I feel it handles great, did not change the geometry enough to really make a noticeable difference to me and when they are up to temperature have very good grip. I'm not dragging knee and hauling ass on the streets with her but it feels very good. I keep the fast stuff in check for the track.

Be real careful with 190s on the 6th gen... the swing arm gives less room than that of the 5th gen... I say this from experience... I took a 190/55 off my 5th gen (think it was a Dragon Supercorsa I was given free) and after 20 minutes of riding on back roads caning it... something didn't feel right... stopped looked... and right in the centre band of the tyre you could see the wear... touched the tyre and it was burning hot... it wasn't rubbing on the edges like I had thought to check but in the middle, from rubbing on the inside diameter of the swingarm in front of the tyre... where the shockie is (to orientate you)... it had actually worn a shallow Groove into the aluminium of the swingarm... scary stuff!!!

I was surprised at this as I noticed nothing of the sort on the 5th gen and threw it back on the 5th gen and it had loads of clearance.

I did not feel any advantage whatsoever on the 5th gen at least... in fact it felt less nimble when running through twisties.

I have plenty of clearance with Dunlop GPA 211's. After thousands of miles on the last set all seems well. This is probably going to be the last set on the VFR as I don't plan running on the track in the wet anymore. I'm just going to stick with slicks on the track bike and if the track is wet I'll pass. I have learned a lot through the years about riding on the edge in the rain at the track and a lot of those skills transfer to street riding and I feel that is a plus. Being very smooth on all inputs is the key. I can drag knee in the rain but honestly its to a little nerve racking riding like that. So after this set I'll be back to a set of good street tires and not a 190/55.

• 2 months later...

Time for tires, the GPA's are done. Thinking about PR4's, seem to be good on the VFR.

Thats what I'll be having soon

I've ran pr3's and pr4's on an sv650s. Wouldnt run anything else tbh. Just need to use up the life in these tyres haha

• 2 weeks later...

I have read the PR4's really shine in the wet but get a little greasy when its really hot out and your riding hard. Any 1st hand experience on this?

Thanks

I have read the PR4's really shine in the wet but get a little greasy when its really hot out and your riding hard. Any 1st hand experience on this?

Thanks

If its greasy i dont ride as hard, and the same with the wet. I dont feel it safe to. It only takes abit of oil and you're off lol.

But i never struggled for grip with the pr3's or 4's, with my riding style

• Member Contributer

Thanks

If its greasy i dont ride as hard, and the same with the wet. I dont feel it safe to. It only takes abit of oil and you're off lol.

Greasy is a descriptive adjective about how the tire's grip feels when hot... it's not describing the actual road surface.

Thanks

Greasy is a descriptive adjective about how the tire's grip feels when hot... it's not describing the actual road surface.

Oh. Sorry guys. I somewhat misunderstood that haha.

I've had more confidence inspiring tyres but never found the pr3's or 4's short of grip. If that makes sense?

• 2 months later...

I ran the PR4 tires on the track at Chuckwalla. I never lacked grip and I was pretty much riding at 80% to 90%+ of my ability. I did notice that at lean and hard on the gas, the rear slid out a bit, but it was fully controlled (and fun as hell!). A little slick on the curbs though so I had to be careful avoiding them. It was about 75+ that day and sandy, as the wind was blowing fine dust all over the track. Never once did the tires scare me. I rode at lean angles to scrape my pegs, with the feelers off and the toe sliders for my boots. I never got my knee down, but that was more because of my body positioning being wrong a bit. I left some usable life on the track that day, but almost all off of the sides. I did get on the brakes really hard coming into the turns and no issue whatsoever. Even when coming in too hot to turn 8 when the front tire was chattering over the bumps and audibly screeching, it did nothing wrong. And on turn 13 which is a 10 degree banked corner and wide open coming out of the turn the tires held.

If there is one negative I have found is that the tires went through about 8 heavy heat cycles on the track and I think that they may have gotten a little hard, as it seems that they slip more on dry paint stripes on the street. I had very little miles on them before I hit the track so I don't know if it was that way before. However, this is an extreme example of what the tires can do and if I toasted the compound on the track, then I am OK with adjusting my riding style accordingly on the street as they were never really designed for track duty. They'll work, for sure, but it's not their design. I've run PR3 in the canyons until they turns blue and they worked well.

For almost anyone riding street, I feel the stock size PR4 tires will offer more than what is ever sanely and safely ridden, even above legality, I'm truly impressed with them. Perhaps Q3 or their ilk would perform better, but I pretty much think that 98% of riders would never out ride the tires.

Archived