190/55 On A Vfr?

Bosarge22

Still loving the PR4's. Only 1 rain day with them but lots of grip and good feedback. A friend put them on his Concourse 14 and he really loves them. Called it power steering for the big girl.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna have to get a set of these pr4's on the vfr. They were good on the sv and i fancy them on the viffer.

Especially after its wheelspun twice with bt023's. Once was a light throttle on a wet road, the second was probably my fault, i let vtec kick in, 3rd gear overtaking a car.

Anybody else find the abrupt valve change upsets the rear wheel grip sometimes?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I put the GPA's on my VFR and have about 1000 miles on them. They feel SO much better then the stock Metzler's. I hated those tires. I'm not sure if the taller profile is helping turn or just the tire itself but dragging knee and hard parts on the big girl would be easy. Feels so much more nimble. I know I won't get a lot of miles on them but for free that's ok. I think I'll just keep cycling old track tires from the CBR to the VFR and save some money. Even slicks.

I have ran slicks on the front of the VFR for 4 years much better than another tire period.I run the michelin power cup v profile A compound on the gsxr750 best tire hands down.

If you ever run it you won't run anything else.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=30993

You get the best performance from racing slicks only if you get them to proper temperatures. Unlike on the track, street riding never really gets them warm enough to do so, I bet that in most cases you will still get better performance with good treaded street "sport" tires when riding on the street than on slick racing tires..... = racing slicks for street riding is mostly a waste of money....

Unless you are using take offs from track days or races and they are free or 25% of new...

from your link Norton "Tire Warmers: The use of warming blankets is HIGHLY recommended with POWER CUP. The ideal use of would consist of heating to 176 ° F or 80 ° C for 30 to 40 minutes before riding the tires on the track to ensure the tire use is at its optimum temperature to ensure optimum performance."

More good stuff in the link about how much to increase tire pressure for wet tracks and cold tracks...

Regarding the original topic...try a 170 on the rear of your VFR and prepare to be amazed.

I may give the 170 a shot if the S20 EVOS eventually come in that size.

I dunno, but I just put a 170/60 on my '99... :goofy:

And the size your '99 calls for is...? Notice any differences? How many miles do you have on it?

A 180/55 is standard for all VFRs other than the 4G and the 7G (not counting the bias ply 1G)...Kev did this initially after changing a set of tires on his ST1300.

The ST runs a narrower 170 rear and handles surprising quick for such a large bike. He spooned a 170 on his 5G VFR and came by, tossed me the keys without telling me what he had done. I was really surprised at how quickly it turned in.

I am not sure why people want to run larger, heavier, slower to turn tires on the 5.5" rear rims of 3/4 liter VFRs...

Because... farkle!

Be real careful with 190s on the 6th gen... the swing arm gives less room than that of the 5th gen... I say this from experience... I took a 190/55 off my 5th gen (think it was a Dragon Supercorsa I was given free) and after 20 minutes of riding on back roads caning it... something didn't feel right... stopped looked... and right in the centre band of the tyre you could see the wear... touched the tyre and it was burning hot... it wasn't rubbing on the edges like I had thought to check but in the middle, from rubbing on the inside diameter of the swingarm in front of the tyre... where the shockie is (to orientate you)... it had actually worn a shallow Groove into the aluminium of the swingarm... scary stuff!!!

I was surprised at this as I noticed nothing of the sort on the 5th gen and threw it back on the 5th gen and it had loads of clearance.

I did not feel any advantage whatsoever on the 5th gen at least... in fact it felt less nimble when running through twisties.

Good to know! I thought about running 190/55s but the more I read, the less I want to do this.

Still loving the PR4's. Only 1 rain day with them but lots of grip and good feedback. A friend put them on his Concourse 14 and he really loves them. Called it power steering for the big girl.

I hope Michelin learns a thing or two with upcoming MotoGP experience.

• Member Contributer

With the narrow (for a 190) 5.5" rim on the VFR you would be better running a 190/50 tyre, as that wil be pinched slightly & basically have the same cross section as a 180. It will be both lighter & of a better profile than a 190/55. They are generally cheaper too.

I did that when I needed a tyre but was about to change my rear wheel from Vfr to 1098s since it would fit the 5.5 and the 6inch.

Felt "okay" on the Vfr, but not as nice as the 180/55 IMO, but ok. Switched it over to the 6inch wheel, the 190/50 felt horrible.

190/55 on the 6inch wheel feels awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Gonna have to get a set of these pr4's on the vfr. They were good on the sv and i fancy them on the viffer.

Especially after its wheelspun twice with bt023's. Once was a light throttle on a wet road, the second was probably my fault, i let vtec kick in, 3rd gear overtaking a car.

Anybody else find the abrupt valve change upsets the rear wheel grip sometimes?

Never with the PR4 tires or PR3.

• 5 months later...

Vtec imo is a pain in the ass. I like linear power delivery. No matter how you custom dyno tune and smooth out the transition it still will never be like running all valves all the time. It is what it is though and I still love the VFR. 

The Pr4's are still running very well and will probably stick with them for the next change. 

Archived