Three Pass Day

• Member Contributer

Three Pass Day – Not to be confused with getting 3 Kitchen Passes

I’m no blogger. In fact barely a “poster”. This is my first “ride” post. Hopefully I don’t crash Slammer’s server.

Nevertheless I took a ride with a good friend and riding mentor on Saturday. Basically a large 340 mile loop;

• From Sacramento south through the Northern California foothills via Highway 49 to Sonora. Stopped for a nice light meal – 3 egg omelet with sides and coffee. Yeah I’m on a healthy diet. No pictures, no witnesses.
  • From Sonora, stopped along the Stanislaus River for a saddle break. Very peaceful. A few lucky fishermen. Then over Sonora Pass via Highway 108 to Northbound Highway 395.
  • Ran up 395 to Topaz Lake for gas and short break. Doubled back to Highway 89 and over Monitor Pass through a small road town called Markleeville that I’m sure most of our NorCal riders are familiar with.
  • Then on to Highway 88 and over Carson Pass. Running short on time at this point so no more pics.
  • Took Mormon Emigrant Trail across the range to Highway 50 and the long way home via Auburn CA to avoid major afternoon traffic.

A terrific day. Lots of miles. Lots of carving which for me is good practice. 3 mountain passes, panoramic views across the Sierra Nevada Mtns, ah… and a cold beer when we got home. Could not ask for a better day.

Ernie

post-21382-0-91360800-1339469020.jpg

post-21382-0-10214700-1339469051.jpg

post-21382-0-46524100-1339469065.jpg

post-21382-0-50390900-1339469075.jpg

post-21382-0-06125000-1339469086.jpg

• Forum CEO

I did that hwy 89 from Markleeville to Topaz lake last summer, disappointing that half of the pass was torn up for repaving, Destination highways lists it as norcal DH1 best road in Northern California, though we did some great roads that week I thought were better. I kept seeing dirtbikes running that road? They must have been running from one trail to another?

http://norcal.destinationhighways.com/active/dh/High_Sierra/dh1.asp

The video has a vtech in it!

• Member Contributer

Thanks. All great roads..............I am heading out Thursday and plan to crisscross the Sierras again. Fantastic roads................in your shot I did not see any snow on the Sonora Pass???!!!! Wow thought some would be still there.

• Member Contributer

Looks like a beautiful loop. You guys are another "odd couple" on the road. My best riding buddy and I look the same. We do a 10 -14 day ride together every other year and he knows that if I leave him in a twisty stretch, I'll pull over and wait for him within a few miles. For the most part we do stick together and we both have a great time.

(VFR and VTX1800)

100_0006_0330.jpg

• Member Contributer

Great 1st ride report, we want more pictures though :tongue:

I.e. you did not eat any food???????

• Member Contributer

Thanks! Was worried my paste job would not work. Glad to provide a post.

Slammer is right. 89 is badly torn up. It was not under contruction but heavily patched, very uneven, and no yellow strip left on the pavement in many spot which made blnd corners kind of intersting. And yes - lots of dirt bikes up that way. There are sewveral popular North/South forest service dirt roads that connect the East/West Highways. So it's a small paradise for Dual Sports because they can ride the passes and get some dirt action.

Bonus - Hwy 108 over Sonora Pass was in excellent shape. Make sure you put that on your list for Thursday. No snow over the pass - it's wide open. In fact snow was limited to north facing peaks at 8000 feet or more. It was a bit windy and good chill in the air. But bundled up it was perfect riding weather. Watch for sand and gravel on the curves. There were many spots where rockslides had not been cleaned up.

And yeah - we're an od couplee - my riding buddy is on an HD Electra Glide. But - It's me taking up tailend and often can't stay with him in the curves. He's been on HD's since the early '80's. Lot's of miles and he has no problem pressing with gusto. The VFR is my first real street bike after riding dirt and dual sports for years. I've been on it for just less than 2 years now. It's my daily driver as long as the weather is dry. My confience level is finally getting to the point where riding is becoming natural again. So following him up and down the passes was a good training day.

Dutchy - as for food - I actually thought of your posts as I ate my huge omellete for breakfast. Camera was tucked away in the saddle bag. Missed that chance. But I've been gently "disiplined" and will never make that mistake again - I promise.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

And yeah - we're an od couplee - my riding buddy is on an HD Electra Glide. But - It's me taking up tailend and often can't stay with him in the curves. He's been on HD's since the early '80's. Lot's of miles and he has no problem pressing with gusto. The VFR is my first real street bike after riding dirt and dual sports for years. I've been on it for just less than 2 years now. It's my daily driver as long as the weather is dry. My confience level is finally getting to the point where riding is becoming natural again. So following him up and down the passes was a good training day.

^Good on you for riding your own ride.

Looks like a great trip! Gorgeous country out that way... One day I'll get over there.

Then over Sonora Pass via Highway 108 to

I remember stopping by that sign at the summit on a group trip maybe 3 years ago.

Hwy 108 and Sonora Pass was awesome. :fing02:

It didn't hurt that we rode other great roads, then went back up Tioga Rd through Yosemite, and back to our motels in Oakhurst.

I'd say thanks for posting, but think I'll go with damn you for giving me the itch to do it again. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Ah, you guys bring back memories of riding my old '83 Honda Nighthawk, from L.A. to Gardnerville, NV, via Markleeville and surrounding areas ! ... Great riding, that. Then rode from L.A. up through the gold country to Auburn and back on another trip. Tx for bringing that all back ! ... Those were good times :tour:

Archived