Exhaust what are my options

v4pilot

• Member Contributer

Not low cost but sound is good...............

I think.....

th_HPIM2493.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

D&D makes one of the loudest and meanest sounding exhausts I have ever heard but I still prefer Staintunes.

Rollin

I would Realy like a staintune high mount but $700 is a little pricey; what other options are there for the 5th gen?

It's worth it :smile:

VFR_sargent_LR.jpg

VFR_12_conesus_spring.jpg

• Member Contributer

I sourced an 18" Delkevic Slip off Ebay for my 2000 and think it sounds great. My last bike (a 97 VFR750) had an M4 slip on and it sounded as though it had a little more basey grumble than my current bike with the Delkevic. Though I certainly would agree that the Staintune sounds the best IMHO, the Delkevic I purchased sounds far better than stock and is not obnoxious by any means. The deciding factor in my case was budget, and at only $175 Canadian including the link pipe, all hardware and shipping I had nothing to complain about.

• Member Contributer

I love the 'tunes on my 6th-gen but the best sounding pipe I ever heard was a Madaz on a 5th-gen. I like a mix of rasp and bass and this pipe had the whole package.

It was also mentally loud.

• 3 years later...

I sourced an 18" Delkevic Slip off Ebay for my 2000 and think it sounds great. My last bike (a 97 VFR750) had an M4 slip on and it sounded as though it had a little more basey grumble than my current bike with the Delkevic. Though I certainly would agree that the Staintune sounds the best IMHO, the Delkevic I purchased sounds far better than stock and is not obnoxious by any means. The deciding factor in my case was budget, and at only $175 Canadian including the link pipe, all hardware and shipping I had nothing to complain about.

Zoom, how was the fit of the delkevic? I tried a danmoto and I'm sending it back. It was ok and looked great but I couldn't make it work without spacing the peg mount, I want bags also so I can't do that.

I just popped on the 18' carbon oval high mount....

• Member Contributer

Zoom, how was the fit of the delvick? I tried a danmoto and I'm sending it back. It was ok and looked great but I couldn't make it work without spacing the peg mount, I want bags also so I can't do that.

I just popped on the 18' carbon oval high mount....

The fit and finish on the Dlkevic was FAR better than I would have expected considering its low price. Normally I would expect to get what I paid for and for it being so relatively inexpensive I would have thought it woul be hard to assembl and nothing would fit properly. I was very pleasantly surprised. It took minimal fusing around to get it to line up properly with the tail section and I had no issues with the mounting at the foot peg. The only problem I had is that the link pipe did not fit over the header properly because the inside diameter of the link pipe was not large enough to fit over the stock header, the way it was supposed to mount. A quick trip to a local muffler shop solved that problem by falling the end a bit more with their tail pipe expander. The owner of the muffler shop didn't charge me a thing and even gave me a better looking band clamp that looked much the same as the one that came with the pipe from Delkevic, but was slightly wider and larger diameter.

All in all, it was one of the best additions to the bike. And it certainly sounds SOOOOO much better. I have also found that the Delkevic, at least to me, sounds better with the decibel reducer installed. The pipe is not overly loud or obnoxious either way, but I found the exhaust note a bit more raspy without the decibel reducer. This is just personal preference mind you.

Oddly enough, when I purchased a 96 VFR750 for my wife it came with the exact same slip-on (18" Delkvic Stainless) but when installed on the 96 the Delkevic sounds, well, much, MUCH, sweeter. Must be the catless header on the 96, LOL

• Member Contributer

I like the sound of the bike stock but a V4 needs a bit of volume, they sound so mean. Zoom, thanks for the input. I'll let you know what i find when the pipe gets here.

I have heard a couple of comments that the carbon fibre cans sounds very nice and tend to have a more basey, deeper tone. I'm sure you'll love the sound. When I attached mine I fit it all together and tightened the foot peg clamp first, then the can-link pipe and the header connection last. That way the pipes orientation stayed more or Ed where I had positioned it for alignment.

Let us know what you think once the delkevic is installed. Perhaps a short video clip or sound clip. That way we can all share in your new auditory excitement. LOL

I got the Delkevic 14" CF and love it. I fitted it without the pegs, so can't really comment on fit/finish with them on. But yes, work from the strap to the header when tightening.

I also didn't bother with the sealant and have no leaks.

So my exhaust plans keep changing. I just mounted all the givi racks and bags so I'm not sure the Delvick crarbon high mount will work, so I called Delvick. I reached customer service and after a few minutes of discussing my concerns I orderd up a separate mid pipe so I can have the high mount or the regular mount with the same silencer. Don't tell anyone but I got a special price, 28 bucks shipped, not bad. If it fits nice I'll be a Delvick guy from now on. Woo hoo!!

So if you don't get it from the post, Delvick customer service rocks...

• Member Contributer

Being I just got my 5G, I didn't want to sink big bucks into it so I decided to go the Delkevic. But I did "splurge" for the SS headers and an 18inch CF can. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality which I would rate at about a 6.5 on a scale of 1-10. I would put termignoni's and sato's at the 10 end of the scale and open headers at 1, JC whitney crap at a 2-3.

I just got the box in this weekend and have only put the muffler/up pipe on. I want to soak the header bolts + several heat cycles before attempting to remove the stocker. I decided to ditch the standard muffler strap and hanger assembly (ugly IMO) and make a small bracket that attaches to the muffler/up pipe clamp and the passenger foot rest. It's very stable. No pic of the bracket but I got a closeup of it in the 4K HD video with dB restricter in. I have removed the baffle once and didn't notice that much of a difference. Will shoot a new comparison video soon. I love the sound quality and just as importantly the quantity. I chose the longer 18 inch to keep dB's reasonable (so I can hear my cam gear whine!) and I'm quite pleased. The CF can gives it a nice soft yet bassy sound that metal cans IMO can't match. If you want louder, go shorter when ordering. I found it slightly cheaper to buy directly from their website than Ebay and received them in 4 days.

P1480615_zpsm5ix58fo.jpgP1480623_zpsjvf5fnjj.jpg

P1480627_zpshmavwcsv.jpg

• Member Contributer

Are there options for replacing the factory headers, though? This is on an '00.

As I stated in my recent post, I got a set of Delkevic stainless steel pipes but haven't installed them yet. http://www.delkevic.us/index.php?route=product/category&path=1678_3367_3432_3436&categorystring=Motorcycles-Honda-2000-VFR800%20%281997-2002%29-Headers

There is also Motad in England: http://www.motad.co.uk/media/1112/2015catalogue.pdf

I use a no name carbon fiber can that was most likely half of a dual underseat set-up for some bike or another. Sounds mean and is just under the "too loud threshold

• Member Contributer

Mine is a D&D that was on a GSXR at some point....Just got a mid-pipe from somewhere online and it works great...the D&D was pretty old but it is very growly...and when I got it all the packing had been shoved to the rear...and the heat burnt the CF...so I had to cut the CF down a little, reinstall new fiber glass packing (ordered a kit from Two Brothers - cheap) and cut new holes and re-riveted the can back on albeit about 1cm shorter than before...works just fine now...

I'd say just check your pipe in a year or two to see it isn't getting too hot on the end near the mid-pip connection--if it is, it might need re-packed or it might burn. I haven't seen this with my buddies Two-brothers pipe--the CF on that seemed MUCH more durable...looked like a straight pre-preg fiber...a lot less resin than in the D&D pipe...

Matt

Got one of these on mine.

Bought it over 10 yrs ago at a show.

Loud as feck on full chat, rorty low down and not too noisey at road legal speeds.

Love it

http://predatormotorsport.co.uk/Honda-VFR800-predator-HI-Level-Silencer-assy-new/

I've got a scorpion can from a gladius 650 with a custom link pipe on mine. Sounds very, very angry.

I'll be trying to get the carbon akra from my MT09 mounted up soon, so the scorpion and link pipe will be ready to go to a new home.

post-28591-0-26974700-1441069048.jpg

I just got the Delkevic high mount. Hum.. Does this angle look correct? the end on the can points away from the bike, it's not parallel to the centerline of the bike. Anyone else with a high mount Delkevic have a similar angle? I wonder if the 00-01 headers are slightly different than the 98-99? Thoughts?

post-33624-0-79348900-1441141656.jpgpost-33624-0-47078300-1441141694.jpgpost-33624-0-20889000-1441141709.jpg

• Member Contributer

Not right, but then it is a Delkevic... :wink: Can you rotate the pipe towards the bike any more? All 5th-gen headers should be the same.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I just got the Delkevic high mount. Hum.. Does this angle look correct? the end on the can points away from the bike, it's not parallel to the centerline of the bike. Anyone else with a high mount Delkevic have a similar angle? I wonder if the 00-01 headers are slightly different than the 98-99? Thoughts?

I think mine is similar (stock header) but if you haven't you should put the seat assembly/cowl back on before making final judgement. I think the very straight subframe might be exaggerating things. Also, I'm not using a regular mount so I may not be the best to ask. I'll shoot a pic when I can.

If I put the midpipe half way on the header I can tweak it so its passable. I will have to fabricate a pipe mount though. better yet is getting the mid pipe bent at a shop. Humm.. I'll give the low mount a shot wednesday as that is due to arrive in the AM. I just put it back to stock for a quick blast to a burger and beer tonight. I'm kinda liking the sound of the bike stock at 80 with earplugs in. This pipe on the VFR thing is becoming overrated to me. I did pass a trooper at an indicated 80 and he didn't budge. To be continued..

Ok, I hear the sweet music! The Delkevic low mount mid pipe came in this morning. It went on without a hitch and looks great. I have the db killer on the pipe and it's just right. With the shock preload adjuster and being able to mount bags this is a very nice solution.

post-33624-0-55249800-1441221127.jpg

post-33624-0-32993500-1441221137.jpg

oh my, I have tried every combination. Luckily I have the low mount mid pipe on the way. This pipe needs another bend or my headers are off.

Mine is the same way. It's not that bad with all the fairings on, but it is still bugging me, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived