My new to me 96 vfr with 2800 miles now.. lookin for upgrades

Guest Bmcmanus87

Guest Bmcmanus87

Since its a low miled motor I was thinking of turboing it. But thatll be further down the line, but for now id like to know some available and good power adders, ive got a delkevic slip on, thinking of making custom dual pipes on it... Just looking for some options, and I really like the big bore kit with 929 pistons I want to hear if that works out

what a find, i would first get the electronics sorted out before you tear into the motor. new rectifier, VFRness, etc....

how much you pay for that bad boy? i always like to know how the VFR market prices are going

The guy I bought it from put a new rectifier in it because it sat in a barn for a while, but whatya mean by get the electronics right, theres nothing wrong with it, I just want to give it more power. And I paid 3500

If I could spend your money on it, I'd upgrade the suspension first: cbr 929 rear shock, gold valves and springs for your weight up front, maybe some work on the mushy (in my opinion) front brakes. See what Jamie has to offer too.

That and you should swap the bodywork and sell me the stock fairings!

• Member Contributer

It's probably ruined from sitting so long. I would reccommend just parting it out. I'll come pick it up as is, you don't even have to disassemble anything for me. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

The bike is not junk I could go put it in a show and come out with a trophy guaranteed, ive heard alot about changing the suspension

The bike is not junk I could go put it in a show and come out with a trophy guaranteed, ive heard alot about changing the suspension

Mailman is pulling your chain bigtime.

• Member Contributer

pics please and nice find, my recommendations would be 3rd gen. 8 spoke rear wheel (lets you run a 180 rear) upgraded rear shock, gold valves and front end set fo your wt. and riding style( or USD front end), braided brake lines and HH pads for the brakes. You should hold off on eng. mods till suspension is dialed and electrical demons taken care of. IMHO, may also consider other bodywork if yours is mint (good 4th gen bodywork is getting very rare = valuable)

The cost of what you will have to put into it to make it really fast is just about the same as the cost of a fast bike.

This bike is begging you to leave the motor as-is.

But, it is also yours, so grain of salt.

Mailman is pulling your chain bigtime.

Dude you are gonna have to be a bit quicker than that round here!! Congrats on the bike

• Member Contributer

With that low of miles -- Just ride it! --Worry about mods another day.....

It looks like you have a nice pipe. In my opinion, that's about all the performance mods that are needed. You could change the sprockets to make power delivery a little different, but there are costs to that.

You may want to consider a tank bra or something to protect the paint. If the mirror boots are not in good shape you could spring for Y2K mirrors. Zero Gravity makes nice replacement screens, I like the Dark Double Bubble. Braided stainless steel brake lines are nice too.

For suspension I prefer a Lindemann rebuilt shock (probably the most cost effective way to upgrade) and Race Tech gold-valve forks.

Paul in SoCal

• Member Contributer

There's not too much to be done to the 750 V4... That's why is has always been regarded as one of the best bikes ever made.

As far as sheer engine horsepower: good plugs, k&n filter, good synthetic oil, and your slip on. That's about it. For handling a lot of guys will tell you to drop the front end about 10mm to make it steer quicker.

I know that's not a very exciting list... I guess the bottom line is that it's already great, and doesn't need much.

• Member Contributer

The cost of what you will have to put into it to make it really fast is just about the same as the cost of a fast bike.

This bike is begging you to leave the motor as-is.

But, it is also yours, so grain of salt.

x2

• Member Contributer

WELCOME and just ride it, made sure the bike is a good fit for you. Then a couple mods at a time and make sure to learn to ride first.

Its great bike and a hella find.

Thanks for all the help guys, I think theres an issue with my water pump im heating up pretty bad when I get in traffic, when I hit the throttle while sitting it goes down a bit, I plan on taking it in to get looked at asap I dont wanna seize it. Ive almost turnes over 5k miles on it :) I live at the beach and this thing is such a head turner, nobody believes how old it is and how new it looks. Ive had sone pretty wild offers for it too. Definitely going to upgrade the suspension, and might save up the 2500+ dollars for the high performance carb kit, and im thinking of either doing custom double pipes or an undertail without cutting any fenders.

Just enjoy the bike. Having owned a couple of so called "superbikes", I can tell you that a standard VFR750 is still a "real world", quick bike"! It may well require a little more rider input than the latest crotch-rocket, but that is part of the fun. Handling improvements first... if you then discover you want/need more power buy a new 'Blade.

Archived