For those who love oem oil filters and hate Fram.

The other day I was in Walmart, so I grabbed a few Fram oil filters as spares, should I not have an oem available. At $6.50 each they were a good price. While at the Honda dealer a few days later I grabbed some plugs, and an oil filter. The oil filter was $17. The sales guy said that Honda had changed the filters, they were smaller. Hmmm.

Changed the oil today. The Honda filter I took off was made in the U.S. and stated Filtech Inc. on the side. It appeared a quality item. The new filter stated it was made in Canada. Then I discovered that stamped on the base of the new filter, was the dreaded 5U. That for people who don't know, means it is a Fram, by Honeywell.

I compared it to my new Fram (which of course also had the 5U stamp). Apart from being slightly smaller, the exterior base appeared the same (rubber seal was different). The interior looked the same,as did the bypass valve. The median also appeared the same. As far as I can see it's a Fram and I'll be surprised when I cut it apart if I don't find cardboard end caps.

So for those who love oem, better make sure you aren't paying $17 for a $6.50 fram.

P.s. I have a Honda civic and have always used oem. Cut one apart last week, as I saw it had the 5U stamp on the base. It's a Fram, and has the cardboard end caps. Guess I won't be wasting my money on those in the future. Purolator here I come!

Far better than a pleated paper filter is one that uses a solid block of synthetic media.

I have been using Yamaha filters for a long time now, with zero issues.

The one I use is for (among other things) a 1999 Yamaha R-1. Of course, it fits many other Yamahas, including their outboard motors, etc.

See post #41 for pictures of the filter dismantled.

http://www.vfrdiscus...er-alternative/

• Member Contributer

I've only used Fram oil filters on my 80K mile '99 since I bought it with 3K on the odo. So you're saying it isn't going to last much longer?

And don't even get me started on Canadians........

:tongue:

I've only used Fram oil filters on my 80K mile '99 since I bought it with 3K on the odo. So you're saying it isn't going to last much longer?

And don't even get me started on Canadians........

:tongue:

I have no idea how long your engine is going to last. But if you keep using Fram filters, I doubt you'll get more than another 100k out of it before you'll need to at least change the rings.

I don't particularly buy into the thinking that Fram's are total rubbish. Seems to me there are plenty of Fram oil filter haters, who unbeknownst to them actually have Fram filters on their vehicles. From everything I have read, the general concensus appears to be that Fram oil filters are cheaply made, and not recommended. Given that, if I was in a store and all the filters for my vehicles were the same price, I wouldn't pick a Fram. On the other hand, I wouldn't pay $17 for an "oem" fram, if I can buy a "real" Fram for $6.50.

When it comes to oil and oil filters, everyone is an expert! :lobby:

And when it comes to Americans, well, you have nothing to be proud of, you foisted Harley Davidson on the world! :wink::wheel:

• Member Contributer

The other day I was in Walmart, so I grabbed a few Fram oil filters as spares, should I not have an oem available. At $6.50 each they were a good price. While at the Honda dealer a few days later I grabbed some plugs, and an oil filter. The oil filter was $17. The sales guy said that Honda had changed the filters, they were smaller. Hmmm.

Changed the oil today. The Honda filter I took off was made in the U.S. and stated Filtech Inc. on the side. It appeared a quality item. The new filter stated it was made in Canada. Then I discovered that stamped on the base of the new filter, was the dreaded 5U. That for people who don't know, means it is a Fram, by Honeywell.

I compared it to my new Fram (which of course also had the 5U stamp). Apart from being slightly smaller, the exterior base appeared the same (rubber seal was different). The interior looked the same,as did the bypass valve. The median also appeared the same. As far as I can see it's a Fram and I'll be surprised when I cut it apart if I don't find cardboard end caps.

So for those who love oem, better make sure you aren't paying $17 for a $6.50 fram.

P.s. I have a Honda civic and have always used oem. Cut one apart last week, as I saw it had the 5U stamp on the base. It's a Fram, and has the cardboard end caps. Guess I won't be wasting my money on those in the future. Purolator here I come!

That explains why there are so many people on flee-bay dumping HONDA OIL FILTERS for $5.00 a piece for 5 or more. I purchased 5 of them. Just install one a 1000 or so miles ago. Now I'm worried i bought a bunch fram POS's.

^^^^^ Still $8.33 apiece.

I never even bothered to calculate it. Once the money is spent it becomes completely irrelevant. Everyone's worried about a several dollar difference a few times a year, it's totally meaningless

That explains why there are so many people on flee-bay dumping HONDA OIL FILTERS for $5.00 a piece for 5 or more. I purchased 5 of them. Just install one a 1000 or so miles ago. Now I'm worry i bought a bunch fram POS's.

Just screw them on and ride,

That explains why there are so many people on flee-bay dumping HONDA OIL FILTERS for $5.00 a piece for 5 or more. I purchased 5 of them. Just install one a 1000 or so miles ago. Now I'm worry i bought a bunch fram POS's.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it. I've cut a number of Fram's up, and the cardboard end caps were fine, and intact. If Fram's were that inefficient I do believe we would have numerous people complaining of blown engines, with photos.

I have heard numerous times that Super Tech oil filters from Walmart are a bargain for the price. Then on another site I was on yesterday, the site recommended that they don't be used because they were rubbish. I find it hard to believe that a car/bike manufacturer such as Honda is going to use as oem, filters that are not up to the job.

• Member Contributer

I have no idea how long your engine is going to last. But if you keep using Fram filters, I doubt you'll get more than another 100k out of it before you'll need to at least change the rings.

I don't particularly buy into the thinking that Fram's are total rubbish. Seems to me there are plenty of Fram oil filter haters, who unbeknownst to them actually have Fram filters on their vehicles. From everything I have read, the general concensus appears to be that Fram oil filters are cheaply made, and not recommended. Given that, if I was in a store and all the filters for my vehicles were the same price, I wouldn't pick a Fram. On the other hand, I wouldn't pay $17 for an "oem" fram, if I can buy a "real" Fram for $6.50.

When it comes to oil and oil filters, everyone is an expert! :lobby:

And when it comes to Americans, well, you have nothing to be proud of, you foisted Harley Davidson on the world! :wink::wheel:

LOL, yeah, sorry about that HD thing....

I actually started using Fram on my vehicles around 1989...so far so good. I'll let you know when I hit 180K how the engine is holding up!

• Member Contributer

I use those pricey K&Ns simply because they have that nifty hex on the front that makes changing 'em a snap. If the Frams had that I'd use them instead.

Just because they're made by the same place and look the same, that doesn't mean the Honda branded ones aren't made to their specification that's higher.

Then again, they might be identical, but it's hard to tell without an electron microscope.

The Fram Frams might be a decent enough filter, but the Honda ones could still be better. Like oil changes, it seems like cheap peace of mind for the how little the price difference matters, considering how often most people change a filter.

Just because they're made by the same place and look the same, that doesn't mean the Honda branded ones aren't made to their specification that's higher.

Then again, they might be identical, but it's hard to tell without an electron microscope.

The Fram Frams might be a decent enough filter, but the Honda ones could still be better. Like oil changes, it seems like cheap peace of mind for the how little the price difference matters, considering how often most people change a filter.

There's a definite difference in car spec filter and a bike spec fillter , generally MC filters are designed to bypass at a low Psi, this ensure you receive adaquate oil to expensive parts, especially in full throttle conditions.

• Member Contributer

For all those who are re-theorizing about oil filters, look at the articles previously explored here and on other websites: :beatdeadhorse:http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html#OilFilters

If you are going to buy something, you might as well spend the same or less and have the optimum results, based on some objective evidence.

Just to stir the pot a little,

I just checked the ones on the shelf at the Honda shop here, all made by Roki. Not a fram to be found. also, priced at $12.99 for a vfr. Wonder if they are different just for the Canadian market?

Last time I looked, the Honda filters in Canada were Toyo Roki, and about twice the price you just quoted. $25

Which is why I went to the Yamaha ones. Way less expensive.

3VF-13440-10

Cheaper at only 12 bucks.

The possibly better part is that instead of a pleated paper element, it has a solid block of synthetic media.

gallery_554_564_342106.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

gallery_554_564_120338.jpg

Picture 001.jpg

gallery_554_564_174847.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

• Member Contributer

The reason Frams have a bad reputation is not due to bad filtration, it's due to several catastrophic failures. Sure, this was a while ago, but some of us remember...

Ciao,

Archived