A few pics from Friday's Cherohala ride

• Member Contributer

2012-04-13-150.jpg

I took the day off on Friday and headed up to the Cherohala Skyway from North Atlanta. I did close to 400 miles in 8 hours. Not too much traffic out and a little breezy but otherwise nice day. Here are a few pics I took along the way.

2012-04-13-151.jpg

2012-04-09-144.jpg

2012-04-13-157.jpg

2012-04-13-162.jpg

2012-04-13-163.jpg

2012-04-13-168.jpg

2012-04-13-181.jpg

2012-04-13-195.jpg

2012-04-13-189.jpg

I'm jealous. I would have gotten out but we have Little League Baseball for my son (7) almost every weekend now. He's also doing All-Stars so it will be all Summer too. Great for my son.....bummer for riding!

so thats what that area looks like when you are not behind the fast guys and in terror. All I saw when I was there was rusty guardrails and VFR rear tyres getting smaller.

• Member Contributer

I took the day off on Friday and headed up to the Cherohala Skyway from North Atlanta. I did close to 400 miles in 8 hours. Not too much traffic out and a little breezy but otherwise nice day. Here are a few pics I took along the way.

2012-04-13-162.jpg

Where is that? Never seen that before...

(Mind you I had to have the "Rock Pile" on the way to Suches specifically pointed out to me because I had never noticed it while scanning for cars trying to t-bone me at that weird intersection/turn off.)

• Member Contributer

I can't quite remember where the amphibious vehicle pic was taken but it was somewhere just North of McCaysville, TN. I just sat there staring at the damn thing for damn near a half hour just wondering about it's history. I think the pics turned out pretty nice considering they were taken with my phone.

Rollin

Thanks for the pics, that's my favorite road down there. We normally stay at the Tree Tops just at the Bottom of it the Cherohala, great way to start or end the day going for a cruise up there.

• 9 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Very nice Sy!

Is that duck boat near Ductown?

Timmy, that line cracked me up, sounds just like my trip a couple of years ago behind Greg on the RSV4 Factory and Jeremy on his 6th gen.

I am pretty comfortable on the Cherohala at 30-40 over but I was 50-60 over seeing "smaller rear wheels". Then after missing a very small window for a double yellow pass I only saw a reflection of light from one of thier mirrors on a uphill loop back just across the NC line, saw 'em both at the Franklin Inn later that day.

Who digs up these old topics...

I was hoping to see pictures of the slide at the top of the Skyway.

The weather hasn't looked like that in two months.

And there hasn't been leaves for that long or longer, either.

This is what the mountains look like today.

skyway.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well, since it is featured on the home page, I would guess that HS or one of the mods revived it from the dead.

I have to admit I was hoping to see pics of the work around/shoulder lane at the slide as well.

• Member Contributer

Hey, very glad to see the photo, old or new. One of my favorite rides, much more fun than the circus at the Dragon nearby. Remember finishing the Cherohala going west on my '02, stopped in TN and looked down and it read 39 degrees, didn't even realize I was cold!

Predicted 57 and sunny here tomorrow, time for a ride....

• Member Contributer

Well it is snowing here, now...

It is really dark towards the Skyway. I imagine it is a foot deep in snow right now at the top.

Stop being such a wuss and go put some snow chains on one of your bikes and go take some pics of the snow on the Cherahola for us.

Rollin

How on earth did he catch you?

I am guessing he was the guy on the SUV with radar who hangs out between the beach and the fish hatchery road... Those don't handle that well in the twisties.

I am not posting my stories... Pleading the fifth.

Archived