Hi-Viz Helmets and clothing

Duc2V4

• Member Contributer

I wear one of these-- http://www.tinwolf.co.uk/

I mostly wear it because I can be commuting in the early monring and near darkness...I have noticed that at night, someone wearing a highly reflective vest is much more visible to me so I added reflective tape to this vest as well and to my helmet...BTW the biotch that took a left turn decided she needed to head left across a 4 lane street without looking becse she was confused.and needed to turn left onto the next street...she cut of me and 4 other cars...wouldn't have mattered if all the other cars were Hi Viz Yellow!

I think Hi Vis yellow is much more visible than Orange BTW, but it clashes with my grey helmet:

Rothmotorcyclehelmet.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a hi viz yellow Olympia Phantom suit. It is almost embarassingly bright. I haven't had any comments from people riding or driving, but I had a janitor of a school tell me he freaked out when he saw me, thinking I was a fireman.

I wear one too and it took awhile to get used to some of the "gaukers" as I passed by and walking into the gas station gets some strange looks also but I don't care. I think it makes you more visible to the motorist who are paying attention but not to the drones who are motoring along and multi-tasking. If you happen to be having a little more fun than the law allows it does make you more of a target for law enforcement and if somebody does report some of your riding and gives a description of you and the bike there's a good chance you won't be able to say it wasn't you. Not that I've ever had that situation come up. I always consider myself invisble even with hi'viz with the exception of law enforcement. They make a living out of paying closer attention to what's going on.

• Member Contributer

Dutchy: Is that the orange Hi-Viz C3 helmet from Schuberth? How orange/dayglo is it? Me like.

• Member Contributer

That is the orange C3 from Schuberth. At TMAC people were asking were the batteries are stashed that make it glow so much :tongue:

c93768e3.jpg

It is very very orange (clashes a bit with the honda red but what the hey eh?)

067eff3c.jpg

efb9382c.jpg

The orange is not a regular import for NL, but it can be specially ordered

Yellow is the most common day-glo in NL, so I wanted the other one...... :tongue:

2181d77d.jpg

d1722d1b.jpg

• Member Contributer

I wear Hi-vis summer and winter jackets all the time since they came down to sane prices. I've seen cars react differently and give me a bit more room. I think you're foolish not to try to be visible, but you do what you like.

• Member Contributer

A number of years ago in a motorcycle mag, one of the editors did a test to see if Hi-Vis clothing would make a noticeable difference in riding around town, so I don't remember all the specifics, just the main points. He wore all black, on a black motorcycle, a Aerostitch Hi-Vis (bright neon green yellow with lots of reflective patches) suit on a bright yellow motorcycle, and then, dressed in gear and rode a motorcycle similar to the local two-wheeled police officers. The results? He was equally ignored with the all black setup as he was with the Hi-Vis setup, but strangely enough, was easily noticed, and even commanded attention to the point that drivers would get out of his way, when wearing the gear/riding the motorcycle similar to the local PO.

In short, if you want to be seen on two wheels, look like a cop and everyone will notice you. Otherwise, wear whatever you wish cause drivers could care less.

Funny you should mention this - It has always amazed me how cagers can fail to see us... I think I got the most attention on my previous bike (VTR1000F) as I'd see cager heads bobbing around looking for the source of the noise (wide open Yoshies)... After binning that one and purchasing the white VFR with matching white helmet over black leathers, I find cagers see me before they hear me - I look like a cop at first glance and they literally GTF out of my way on the highway...

Was coming home from our restaurant a couple of days ago, speeding a bit, bearing down on another bike on Dorset Rd, could see him start constantly checking his mirrors and his head was bobbing around like one of those toy dogs on the parcel shelf of a car... As I got close he gave in, indicated and pulled over, gave him a wave on my way past and he threw his arms in the air - guess he figured I was a cop also...!!!

• Member Contributer

Oh, if you don't want to buy all new gear, Walmart sells a really nice reflective vest in lime green with scotchlite stripes for under twenty bucks. It zips up and doesn't flap around like a cheaper one. Look in the section where they have the Dickies clothes. Get the XL or XXL and it can go right over your existing jacket. I also have hi-viz gloves from a workwear store. Every bit helps.

There is an interesting article in the UK RiDE magazine. Arrived on Saturday about the impact and possible benefits of Hi-Viz clothing and Bright Helmets. Basically and this is the abridged version, it makes very little difference, the human eye is focussed on detecting motion, so a travelling motorcycle moving in a straight line towards that person is generating little detectable motion. Also a bike takes up about a quarter of the road space even a modest car occupies as well as the fact the roads are littered with other hi-viz object competing for the drivers attention (road signs, marking, lights), so dipped headlights are currently still the best method of advertising your presence on the road, at least this is the case until the EU makes it mandatory for all cars to have daylight running lights.

On another note, a nice deep sounding exhaust never hurts, saved me a couple of times.

• Member Contributer

In my experiences it don’t matter what color your wearing when a cager pulls out in front of you but if it makes you fill safer by all means wear it.

+1

When a cager is driving "full retard" there's little hope of being seen. But we may stand a chance with the ones that are Half looking.The Hi-Viz may catch their attention.

(I'll go one further with headlight modulation)

I do also believe in the black/white police look drawing attention, but not into the open face helmet, bullet proof vest, short sleeve popeye arm get up. :wheel:

But one thing that I have consider here lately is the fact that if I was to be knock off the road, it mite be easier to find me in the trees and bushes with Hi-Viz stuff.

I thought more about this thread and would like to point out one thing. Each and every one of us on this forum are biased when it comes to looking at motorcycles. Just the fact that you are a rider means that your eye will find bikes in a crowd, and when they are wearing Hi-viz gear you note how quickly you looked because of it. A cager doesn't have that "find a bike" instinct like we do, so it is very different. Keep that in mind.

-Drew

• Member Contributer

Day glo pink works great too!!!

My eye fell straight on this one (well, they nearly fell out to be honest :tongue: )

Scroll down (best not in open office, it is all covered but................)

bikini-on-pink-motorcycle.jpg

• Member Contributer

Got my attention!!! That is more likely to cause an accident then prevent one...

• Member Contributer

When a cager is driving "full retard" there's little hope of being seen. But we may stand a chance with the ones that are Half looking.The Hi-Viz may catch their attention.

I do also believe in the black/white police look drawing attention, but not into the open face helmet, bullet proof vest, short sleeve popeye arm get up. :wheel:

+1

I wear Hi-vis summer and winter jackets all the time since they came down to sane prices. I've seen cars react differently and give me a bit more room. I think you're foolish not to try to be visible, but you do what you like.

+1

• Member Contributer

I have been experimenting with my Spidi Voyager H20 jacket. So far so good with a few cagers taking a second look. This and some HID lights on my VFR make it pretty hard to miss.

IMG_1102.MOV

• 6 months later...

OK, fashion question for the fashion-challenged. I'm thinking about investing in a new jacket (as I've gotten 13 good years out of my black Joe Rocket Ballistic):

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Jackets/Motorcycle-Jackets-Tall-Sizes/Tour-Master-Jackets-Mens-Tour-Master-Sonora-Air-Motorcycle-Jacket#

I'm looking for a color that will be cooler for our hot summers here in Spokane, WA, and have considered the Hi-Viz option. Thing is, I'm wondering what it will look like with my yellow 2000 VFR. I know it's stupid to worry about stuff like that, but am curious to get some feedback on it. I'm going back and forth between the GunMetal and the Hi-Viz.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

James

• Member Contributer

OK, fashion question for the fashion-challenged. I'm thinking about investing in a new jacket (as I've gotten 13 good years out of my black Joe Rocket Ballistic):

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Jackets/Motorcycle-Jackets-Tall-Sizes/Tour-Master-Jackets-Mens-Tour-Master-Sonora-Air-Motorcycle-Jacket#

I'm looking for a color that will be cooler for our hot summers here in Spokane, WA, and have considered the Hi-Viz option. Thing is, I'm wondering what it will look like with my yellow 2000 VFR. I know it's stupid to worry about stuff like that, but am curious to get some feedback on it. I'm going back and forth between the GunMetal and the Hi-Viz.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

James

Being a wearer of Hi-Viz clothing I don't think it's a bad thing, but I would probably go with the gun metal and add a Hi-Viz vest to wear on top of the jacket. This way you have an option of wearing with or without Hi-Viz, just in case you're feeling adventurous.

Thanks for the opinion, and yes, I'd been thinking about that option. The only thing I was worried about is the hindered air-flow with the vest on, riding in really high heat. Hence, trying to keep the layers to a minimum (unless there are some vests that are really good for allowing air to get through them). I don't know....what d'ya think? Still go with the gray?

• Member Contributer

The vest I have is very ventilated and I don't know about WA, but So. Cal gets kind of toasty, and I have no complaints, in fact my jacket has less ventilation than the vest.

Archived