So what's your MPG???

• Member Contributer

I'm trying to find out what kind of miles per gallon my fellow VFRers are getting. I'm getting 34 roughly, although I am doing mostly canyons at higher rpms, or two up.

So . . . what's your MPG???

I think I'm averaging just under 37, but have gotten 45 once (100% highway). I was averaging close to 40 but now all my commuting is city so it's really dropped. Check out fuelly.com, there's a lot of VFR's on there with real driving data

• Member Contributer

:+1: on Fuelly Over the past 23,460 miles I have averaged 35.1 with a best of 48.4 highway Lots of fun but with our ethanol gas I figure thats not bad :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I get 40-42 mpg on both of my 94 vfr's

• Member Contributer

On my '01 I regularly get between 50 and 53 mpg. My highest tanks worth is 57.2. Factors: I'm small, 145# and 5'8". I use a tall Givi touring windscreen. And I spend sometime most of the time "laying on the tank" hiding behind the screen. (While moving along, tucking behind the screen while holding the throttle steady, causes the bike to speed up by at least 5 mph. That enables me to dial back on the throttle thus using less gas. - That is how I got the 57mpg: rain while rideing across MO, tucked in all the way).

Now if the bike is loaded with bags on a trip, the mpg is 44 - 48. And if I'm REALLY having fun I'm sure it is worse. I've just never used a whole tank having fun. But it is still probably better than 40mpg. Never got less than 40.

• Member Contributer

With a mix of highway and local commuting, I usually pull between 185 to 200 miles out of each tank.

I'm easy on the gas, always keep my 4th gen in the 4-5k rpm range and just filled 16l in the tank, clock was at 330km.

That results in 4.8l/100km, or 49mpg.

I have a '04 with 92k miles. 90% of use is, sadly, freeway commute. I'm getting 33-34mpg and it has dropped from about 37-38 in the bikes younger days. I'm certain I can get it back up with some maintenance. Fuel system is untouched. Typically crusing in the low 80's

I previously had a '03 and it averaged 42 combined with about 50% freeway, and if I was wringing it out a lot it would drop into the mid 30's. I complained about the '04's mileage based on my previous experience to North Hollywood Honda - they checked it out and stated if it was above 30mpg it was in the normal range.

• Member Contributer

So I'm in the ballbark. That is good to know. Hopefully I can creep closer to 40 as the trips get longer. And Leon's getting laaaaaarger . . .

• Member Contributer

Howdy,

36 MPG most of the time. I have gotten over 50 MPG on the highway, running in sixth gear.

I think that I have only been in 6th once in the last year, and only use 5th part of the way to and from work.

We ain't much for strait aways around here.

Mac

I don't have a fuel gauge or an odometer, but on full tank rides with friends, going off their mileage, I've gotten as good as 45mpg. But i also know that i can easily cut that in half when I'm running hard. My bike is jetted with needles and a modified airbox though. And I only run 93 in it.

• 2 weeks later...

40-45 average for me- 6ft 2 in and 185 pounds. Not much hot rodding, but I do enjoy some aggressive riding on her from time to time.

Never been in the 30s ... never been over 45, either.

• Member Contributer

My '95 gets 45 mpg most of the time, my '91 gets low 40's as does my '86 700.

I'm getting around 45 mpg so far on my newly acquired '99. This is with a light-medium throttle hand and casual riding on mostly state routes. Aggressive riding would probably yield 40 mpg and I could maybe squeeze 50 mpg if I concentrated on high gas mileage-related habits and did a continuous, non-stop ride to burn a tank. This Gen 5 has a Jardine can and K&N air filter. Otherwise, it is a stock drivetrain. It does better on gas than my Gen 4's. Go figure.

Something that has to be considered when computing fuel mileage is speedometer/odometer error. Most VFRs that I have ridden read about 5 mph high, which will translate into an odometer error of approximately that amount. If you have gone to a smaller countersprocket, as many have, the speedometer/odometer error will be increased in the same direction even further. On my VFR I have gone one tooth bigger on the countersprocket which gets my displayed mph error to within 1% at 70 mph according to my GPS. My odometer error, however, is 3% low, again according to my GPS. This might seem a bit OCD but I spend a lot of time in the saddle so I have time to ponder things of this nature.

Taking these factors into consideration I average 42 - 43 mpg per gallon, with my reserve light coming on at 226 miles. My mpg has dropped slightly as I have done mods to the bike, such as K&N air filter and aftermarket exhaust. Still, for a bike that performs like the VFR does, I think 43 mpg is very respectable indeed.

I have found that hard high rpm riding in the twisties does not drop my mpg noticeably and that the only way I have found to increase the mpg is to putz along at 55 mph, which almost never happens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I had a personal best out of a tank today. I was riding with a bunch of Harley guys and I think I only touched 5k rpm once out of a whole tank, usually staying in the low 4k rpm range for an entire day and short shifted 1 - 3 - 6 for a majority of the tank. I got 262 miles before I stopped to fill up and was just touching the top of the empty mark on the gauge. 262 miles on 4.5 gallons = 58 mpg! Let it be known that I will LOSE MY MIND if I ever spend another entire day riding like that!

Archived