So what's your MPG???

• Member Contributer

I don't have a fuel gauge or an odometer, but on full tank rides with friends, going off their mileage, I've gotten as good as 45mpg. But i also know that i can easily cut that in half when I'm running hard. My bike is jetted with needles and a modified airbox though. And I only run 93 in it.

I would be interested to know what mods you did to your airbox, did you have to rejet just because of that?

Thanks

Chris

Oakland,Ca.

• Member Contributer

Y2K VFR with BMC filter, de-flappered, de-snorkeled, '98 ceramic coated headers, with a PC2 and I range from 36 - 48 mpg. Usually around 42. Biggest factor in reducing mpg seems to be how many times I stop and restart the ride, especially if the engine cools and has to warm up again. A couple of short rides on the same tank of gas and the mpg goes way down.

Sorry, just realized this is a 3rd gen topic :wacko:

• Member Contributer

With a passenger I have been averaging 37-38 lately, I guess I can't be too mad at that.

However, my low fuel light comes on stupid early. Yesterday I was riding with my brother, low fuel light went off, and she only took 3.3 gallons. I should have another 1.7 left. Seems a little premature to me, but I guess that's better than too late.

• Member Contributer

I average about 42 mpg, but those are imperial gallons. I can handle most metric units we use in Canada but 100 km/l ain't one of them.

Around 40 out of my 99, all stock engine wise for now. It seems to do a little better if I keep it in the midrange, reving the tits off burns fuel but so does lugging it. so sort of 4500 to 6500 seems to be the sweet spot for mine. Stock gearing, ZG windsheild and a rather light rider 145 and 5'11". My brothers honda cruiser is the same way, does its best in "normal" riding, come to think of it my civic is like that too. Maybe its just a Honda thing

My 2007 and I get around 38-40mpg, most all the time.

My riding is mostly commuting, half of it in town. Doesn't seem to matter, though... a ride over the mountain (twisties and windies) or a trip to the parents' house (rural four-lane) gets me roughly the same fuel economy.

• Member Contributer

That's about 50-51 US gallons. That's pretty good!

If you're talking about my 42 miles per imperial gallon, it's the other way around. Our gallons are bigger (1.2x) so I'm actually getting 35 miles per US gallon.

On the 2005, I average very close to 45. I usually fill up at around 200 miles and put in a little less than 4.5 gallons

Did about 200 miles the other day with a bunch of Hardly's, doing mostly 60 in 6th gear. 53 mpg. I was shocked.

The 20 min ride back and forth to work, 50% highway 50% town, usually gives me 35-40 mpg. Full exhaust, jet kit. 4-5k rpm cruise.

• 4 months later...

WTH!! I have a 4th gen with about 16k on the dash. I get about 30mpg on a good day. What am I doing wrong here? :ohmy:

I replaced the air filter, fuel filter and spark plugs Aug of 2011. do oil and filter changes on time. everything is stock except the Delkevic slip on.

I do live in NYC and it's always stop and go traffic. I will admit to gunning it to the next light and opening the throttle every chance i get. could that be it?? I haven't done a carb clean or a sync since I got it last Aug.

any help/advice much appreciated. :huh:

• Member Contributer

That seems about normal...you could always clean/sync carbs it can't hurt(if done right) My mileage over the past 26,041 miles is as follows Avg-35.3mpg Last fill up 41.9mpg best 48.4mpg(all highway) this is with our farmer friendly 10% ethanol gasoline. Not the best for MPG But for Fun Per Miles beats the hell out of the commuter :tour:

Same here - I still measure in mpg. Converting to US gallons, I get about 38 - 40 mpg with my '93, running 94 octane with no ethanol. That doesn't seem to compare badly, however I am a little disappointed because before the carbs were recently cleaned and synched I was always getting low to mid 40's. :huh: My riding is 75% highway (the work commute) and i usually keep her in the 5-6k rpm range

• Member Contributer

Just an update, and in the interest of full disclosure . . . I've managed to get my MPG to 40-42 most days. Two things that help tremendously is switching from 91 to 87 octane gas and the MRA Touring windscreen.

• 4 weeks later...

43 MPG last tank - mostly all highway. When it was warm, I got up to 52 MPG for the very first time. All stock 1991 RC36.

These bikes get thirsty when you play with intake and exhaust... partly because the riders keep opening them up for the beautiful sound!post-21173-0-00921700-1348525856.jpg

Archived