Trying to justify new gear.

Well, since losing 30 Lbs, and another 8 to go, I'm thinking about getting some new gear to match my bike.

I have two riding outfits now, a set of Joe Rocket 2-piece leathers that are 12 years old, and a little big, and a Joe Rocket 2-pc textile suit that is probably 5-6 years old.

Both still work, but are definetly showing their age, and both are slightly large.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the whole Euro sizing thing, it seems the Euros are not built like me, or vice-versa.

I'm 5'9-5/8" tall, 168 Lbs, heading for 160, take a 33 or 34 length jean, depending on brand, and my measurements today are as follows:

Chest: 41-1/4" expanded

Waist: 36" (not sucking it in)

Hip: 38

I've been looking at the Alpinestars stuff, I like the look of it. Maybe I gotta go to a dealer for some fitting.

Looking at the GP Pro Jacket and the Track Pants

All the sizing charts seem to conflict, but from what I am seeing, I need a 52 in the jacket, and also 52 in the pants, according to Alpinestars.

But motorcyclegear.com says the sizing in the pants runs small, and I need a 56, which seems like a big jump to me?

Anybody else got these items and can comment?

0113-0806-03.jpg

GP_PRO_LEATHER_JACKET_RED_BLK__Medium_.jpg

TRACK_LEATHER_PANTS_BLK_WHT__Medium_.jpg

I have that Shoei helmet just with a slightly different design - it's fantastic. It's the quietest and most comfortable helmet I've had to date (plus it looks rad!). The AlpineStars gear looks really cool, too.

I have same thing alpinestars jacket matched with track pants, the very best thing to do is go into a dealer & try them on. There sizing is very good so long as it's alpinestars so doesn't have to be the exact jacket. Just a word of warning jacket back hump doesn't look big but they can be annoying long rides but not so much on a VFR with the more upright position, on a sports bike you tend to get a sore neck if the back of your helmet fouls with the angle you tilt your head. There also a pain if you like to use a back pack every now & then.

• Member Contributer

Your better off going into the store and try it on. I fit a JR jacket, leather or textile in a XL. I can fit comfy into a Icon Large but need a Alpinestar XL and can live with a Speed and Strength Leather in a Large. If you come down to Edm, the dealers have been putting the snow gear away since last week and are breaking out the MC gear. I was at the 3 bigger dealers looking around today and Argyl had a few leathers, but they are stocking more textiles as leather sales are "dropping" in the last 2 years. You might have to go to all 4 just to find a jacket, pants and helmet to try on because 1 store has the pants, but no leather jacket. Look at the price tag and see when it was printed, some items are from 2009. Hit them with a "40 % off" speech.

I am headed to Calgary on march 17th to see my brothers and snoop around the dealers down there.

But motorcyclegear.com says the sizing in the pants runs small, and I need a 56, which seems like a big jump to me?

In my opinion 56 is for someone close 200lbs.

But isn't Alpine Stars American? Doesn't it have a non metric label too?

for the most part, you just subtract 10 for euro to regular guy measurements. I makes me ill how it varies though. I am 5'09", 190 with a 34 inch waist. so here are the figures:

Teknic- 44 fits as it should, 48 too big to keep armor where it should be

Joe Rocket- 46 fits well, but not alot of room for layering

Vanson- 48 fits as if it was tailor made for me (really, really, really, good leathers)

AGVSport- 48 fits, but is on the loose side

Dainese- it has been over 20 years so this data is corrupted.

I hope that helped.

In my opinion 56 is for someone close 200lbs.

But isn't Alpine Stars American? Doesn't it have a non metric label too?

Sizing Information

Use the chart below to pick the pant size for you. The pants are sold in European sizes, and Alpinestars tags the pant with their estimate of US waist size, but we find the pants to run small so we’ve listed our estimate of the US waist sizes. Don’t be thrown off by the inseam lengths listed. When comparing these lengths to jeans you buy, keep in mind that sport pants are only designed to go to the ankle bone, so if you normally buy a 32 or 33 inseam in jeans, a 30 or 31” inseam in sport pants will work for you

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/pants/sport_leather_pants/alpinestars/2011_track_leather_motorcycle_pants.html

• Member Contributer

I'm just below you in size and weight (5'8"/155lbs) and I wear a Euro size 50 in an Alpinestar textile jacket and pant (separates that zip together, not a matched two piece). I also have a Dainese two piece leather outfit that is also a Euro 50 (Laguna Seca). Both fit me pretty snug and are comfortable to wear for long rides. What's odd is when they have S/M/L/XL, then I wear a medium, but with other clothing I.e. T-shirts, sweatshirts, I wear a large.

I am gaining a little girth In the gut area, but nothing a little exercise can't trim down.

five nine with a 34 inch inseem? You are all leg.

No my inseam is not 34, but I take a 33 or 34 length jean which is then right on the floor while barefoot.

Inseam is measured to the bottom of the ankle, not the floor.

There is a reason to stick to a well known name brand, there conformity of size, I buy alpinestars & always try on here in Australia to find sizing & then order OS & have never had problem with what is delivered & I don't need to find the exact type of gear I want just make sure it's alpinestars.

• Member Contributer

Dutch designed/engineered http://macnausa.com/macna-motorcycle-jackets/

Some clever/comfortable features.

Got their jacket and raingear.

Justify gear? If the size is wrong, the protectors will move from their intended postion....

• 1 month later...

"Well, since losing 30 Lbs, and another 8 to go, I'm thinking about getting some new gear to match my bike."

Whose losing weight? You or the bike? :)

anyway, looks good Shoei is the best helmet :smile:

Been looking at Dainese also. Just cannot bring myself to pull the trigger right now.

Finally got out of debt after buying two (used) vehicles last year, a van and a car, 20 grand total and paid them both off in 13 months.

I think I'll wait a year, besides, I'm kinda hovering in my weight now, not quite at goal, when I am, I might even fit into a Euro 52 instead of a 54!

1513315_N32_F.png

• Member Contributer

I like that Dainese suit.

I have a perforated RS Taichi one piece for the track (One Piece Leather Race Suit NXL 206, size 52), I'm 5'7" 160 lbs, 36" is my max measurement around my gut, wear 33' x 30" jeans. I got it to fit tight, so it's not really very comfortable for long rides...I wish I would have gotten one size larger so I could have used it for both track and street. Look at RS Taichi if you haven't...their quality is top notch as far as construction. I opted for the less expensive leather...the Japanese leather is the best. Motoliberty.com is the place to buy.

I'm just under 5'10" and weighed in at 167 this morning, with very similar measurements to what was stated in the first post. I recently got an Alpinestars GP Plus perforated in Euro 52 and it fits perfectly. It's appropriately snug but not restrictive and feels very well made and comfortable. It all depends on what conditions you anticipate using the gear though. I have a cooler weather leather that still works so I wanted something dedicated for summer riding. It doesn't have provisions for a liner of any kind and I anticipate only wearing it with a t-shirt or light moisture wicking base layer. If I got a non perf version that I'd like to stretch into multiple seasons, I would go for a 54. Just a little input if you decide to go the Alpinestars route.

• Member Contributer

I commend you on upgrading "your' chassis, it's always a lot more work that wrenching on a machine...

You don't need to justify changing out your gear, you deserve it!!!

I can vouch for the Astars running small. Like 2 sizes small easily. Also, their short and long sizes are only different below the knee, not proportionally, so the pads were all out of place for me. Sent mine back and got cortech and I love em. That Astars jacket is awesome though, I want one but my jacket is new last summer so a little hard to replace.

RF1100 is the nicest street helmet Ive tried in years, quiet, smooth in the wind, great vents.

• Member Contributer

If you are considering Dainese, I suggest you try Rev'it as well. The Euro stuff is beatiful, but fits very tight. There is almost no room when wearing the stuff to layer properly for Canada's 4 seasons.

I tried on a used Alpinestars 2 pc in a size 42 (U.S.) jacket and 36 (U.S.) pant that I think would fit you. I have a 33 waist so the pants were too big. It was in very good shape and the seller was a good guy. The suit has been for sale for some time so there might be room to negotiate. Here's the link if you are interested:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?150444-Alpinestars-2pc-leather-suit

---David

• Member Contributer

Your going to love that SHOEI RF 1100 helmet it's very aerodynamic, quiet, and breathes better than any helmet I've worn or owned in the past. I purchased mine at CycleGear store (website by same name).

I am 5'9" & 195 lbs, but I need to loose about 20 lbs, so my sizing wouldn't benefit a buff guy in the slightest!

Kevin in ATL

• 3 weeks later...

Put in a Best Offer today on Fleabay for this jacket. We'll see if they bite.

Yeah, I know, it's not the A-star in the first pic. ADHD strikes again.

Hey look, a squirrel!

$(KGrHqZHJFYE88fNNwgHBPYisqkjpw~~60_12.JPG

If so, then I'll put in a Best Offer on these pants:

$(KGrHqJ,!lgE5uhBZRtpBO)oIpjiTg~~60_12.JPG

• Member Contributer

Put in a Best Offer today on Fleabay for this jacket. We'll see if they bite.

Yeah, I know, it's not the A-star in the first pic. ADHD strikes again.

Hey look, a squirrel!

$(KGrHqZHJFYE88fNNwgHBPYisqkjpw~~60_12.JPG

If so, then I'll put in a Best Offer on these pants:

$(KGrHqJ,!lgE5uhBZRtpBO)oIpjiTg~~60_12.JPG

Not sure if they have much left but Sportbike Track Gear had a closeout special on Alpinestar Leather suits. You may want to peek on their website.

Cheers!

Archived