Opinions on good riding gear

huntinggunns

• Member Contributer

Planning on doing some heavy duty riding this coming year. Since me and my family have just recently gotten back into riding we are going to have to update our gear. Here in Oklahoma we have big temperature swings from very cold to very hot. Just wanting some opinions on riding suits that might fit that bill. I was thinking of 1 piece suits for simplicity. Not sure if any of them can fit the criteria for staying cool in the summer and being able to layer up when the temps are cold. Also would like to know what the consensus on gloves are. All opinions are greatly appreciated.

From what I understand quality suits like Aerostich or Olympian do an excellent job at wide temp ranges.

Myself I have two suits, one perforated and one solid two piece leather.

BR

Skip the Teknic Chicane textile riding pants... They do not hold up in a crash.

My Right leg got seriuos road rash when the armor turned into packaging peanuts.

The buttox completely disappeared.

My Sidi boots were destroyed and I did get some soft tissue damage and still can not walk correctly without massive pain.

My wife was wearing all Tour Master. Every square inch of her gear looks like it touched the ground and none of it blew out.

Her TourMaster gloves did get a blow out in the seam on the palm and she did get some rash.

She was wearing Bates Lightweight Tactical Boots. They held up much, much better than my Sidi's did.

Leather pants with armor is the way to go. Leather rarely wears through when sliding down the road.

One of my riding buddies who watched me crash bought me a pair of TourMaster leather pants after the crash. They are being altered to fit now.

I lost my TekNic Huricane jacket, but I had several others on the shelf, so all is good there.

I replaced the Sidi with a pair of Teknic Road Race but the angle of the ankle and riding position makes them hard to shift.

I bought the Alpine Stars MX-S boots.

I had Teknic gloves on and the steel studs did their job. The gloves completely saved my hands.

The extra padding on the fingers and the studs with a layer of kevlar really protected my palms.

This crash took place on 11.11.2011... My birthday to remember in the emergency room.

I had the same dilemma living up in Canada. Some days in early spring are below freezing and 35°C (95°F) or hotter in the middle of summer. I ended up just watching a few gear sites - like Motorcyclegear.com and bought some of their clearance stuff over the winter. Ended up with three jackets - Icon leather Motorhead $320, Joe Rocket mesh $90 and Joe Rocket textile $150, two pairs of pants - Icon leather $150 and Joe Rocket textile $125.

Figured this way, I have all the bases covered.

• Member Contributer

Originally I looked at the Olympia gear and cast it aside as being too expensive.

Since then, I have talked to a friend that has probably logged more miles than anyone I know.

One of his trips was from Arizona through Nova Scotia and back on only two lane roads. No Interstate roads were used at all.

Anyway, he was a motorcycle gear representative for years and still does a lot of trade shows with his wife.

I called him and he immediately said Olympia without a doubt in his mind.

1. He can afford anything he wants.

2. He has worn leathers as well.

3. He and his wife usually ride coast to coast on 2 lane roads each year and they both love the Olympia gear.

4. His comment, "Pay the price, complain once, buy the cheap stuff, complain every time you use it."

It is still a little pricey for me, but if you can afford it, you most likely won't regret it.

• Member Contributer

Another Olympia fan here. My wife and I both have Olympia jackets and pants and like them very much. I bought a used Olympia Phantom one piece suit last year. Really liked it, but it was too big so I resold it. Still looking to replace it.

• Member Contributer

Spend the money to get good gear. Not only will it protect you better in a crash, but it will last longer and you will not have to replace it as soon. Buy the best you can afford. If you want a one piece suit to ride year round, and Aerostitch is hard to beat. They are a textile suit but very tough and waterproof.

Some good brands for leather gear are Alpinestars, Dianese and Held.

Was looking at the Aerostich or Motoport but it looks like leather is the way to go. I will have to add Tourmaster to the list.

I wear my Motoport Kevlar Mesh 2-piece suit from 35F to 105F. If it gets colder than that, I like to use a Gerbing electric liner under it as well. It is an expensive suit, but I've been wearing it for almost 3 years now and wouldn't trade it for anything else including a Stich (which I've had in the past but it was too hot in the summer). I have the rain liners (top and bottom) and the thermal liner (top) for the Motoport which gives it a lot of flexibility.

From what I've read, the Kevlar mesh suit has the same abrasion resistance as leather. I saw a jacket that had been slid down the road once and there was hardly any damage done to it. Seeing that made up my mind on buying the suit.

• Member Contributer

Thanks all. I will add Olympia to the list. Initially it looked like leather was the best bet but the more I read it looks like some of the newer textile stuff is just as good. This past summer here in Oklahoma is a good example of the temerature extremes I was talking about. 100+ for 45 days or more IIRC. Now to just decide which suit to get from these 3 different manufacturers.

• Member Contributer

I have a Cyclock jacket and Motorport pants. I've had them for over 10 years, and 100,000 miles and both still look like new. I don't believe the Cycloak brand is still available.I did have to replace the hook and loop closures at the cuffs in both the jacket and pants. I wash them in the washing machine on gentle using powered detergent. It is amazing how filthy they get during the season. Imagine the amount of road grime on your car if you did not wash it all year. For that reason I favor Black and Gray colors. For visibility I use a hi vis vest when I need to. The Cyclock jacket is still waterproof (Gortex liner) the Motorpants - not so much. Both are heavy Cordora construction and I don't have any reservations regarding their abriasion resistance. They do get warm. Good from 40F to 80F degrees. Using electric gear I can leave heavy clothing and the liner at home and use the jacket only. Above that I use mesh gear. Today's gear have much better options for soft armor.

I like the Motorport, Firstgear (especially the new TPG), Tourmaster in that order. I have some Joe Rocket gear but don't think the quality is as good. I don't have any experience with Aerostich or Olympia but have heard good things about them. One common complaint with the Aerostich one piece is that it leaks in the crotch during rain. I have a leather jacket but don't use it for serious touring because it does not tolerate prolonged rain as well.

Long winded but in summary

1) Buy the best gear you can afford. It will pay for itself because it will last a long time.

2) Buy winter gear, summer mesh gear and electric gear for the cold days

3) Consider high vis vests for safety. High vis jackets can get dirty and be difficult to get clean if at all.

Good luck

• Member Contributer

You are doing the right thing, always get input from those that ride. I respect all of the opinions offered here and know that they really want to help. I you are interested in seeing gear evaluations that are thorough and highly objective, check out webbikeword.com. I've used gear from a lot of different companies, but thankfully, I haven't "tested" it as thoroughly as some have (read: crashed with it). However, I love my gloves from these guys: http://www.highvelocitygear.com/ I have 5 seasons on a pair of gloves I got from them that I wear 3 seasons, and only use a winter glove in March and November. My winter isn't the toughest, but more severe than in Oklahoma, and studs were outlawed in Nebraska, so ice riding is out! :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Hey Fred...from a fellow okie I know what you speak. My leather joe rocket pro street pants zipped to my leather scorpion jacket are my go to for cool days up to about 75-80 degrees and then just too hot. I use a gerbings jacket liner down to freezing and below if it's dry. For the hot days I downgrade to armored mesh but don't feel nearly as protected as with leather. Wish I could afford a Motorport Kevlar (God they are ugly though) or an Aerostitch. Stitch has a new Roadcrafter Light that may be the ticket.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

A vote for Aerostich here. The original textile riding suit. Made in USA, great company, not cheap, but this isn't an area I'd scrimp on.

(And IIRC, our esteemed CEO has their Transit leather suit.)

• Member Contributer

I've owned a Aerostich Roadcrafter (two piece - zips together - occasionally wear just the jacket for short trips around town) for several years (never crashed it) and found it very comfortable in most weather. Worn it through 30+ temps and 95+ temps. Tends to be warm in the later while going slow. Ventilation is very good when it's hot out. Wind blocking very good when cold. Bought an Aerostich Transit suit this year and it is fantastic. Now I wear the Transit (Goretex backed heavy-duty perforated leather) all summer. Not especially hot in warm weather. Not especially warm in cold weather. Now it's Transit for the summer (very waterproof - does not absorb any water) and the Roadcrafter in the cold weather. Roadcrafter looks geeky - lots of WTF to non-initiated; Transit looks very cool - lots of compliments; and it is a chick magnet ;-) For long-distance riding the Roadcrafter has so many pockets it eliminates need for a backpack. And it's very dry in the rain. (I average 15,000 miles / year). I also have a TourMaster flow-through mesh jacket ($89) for hot in-town riding. All have performed excellently. I've crashed with a mesh jacket only and got roadrash and minor broken bones but core body came through fine. I seldom ride without pants now. Oh wait - make that overpants. My legs are not that good looking. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Way good advice from the posters. Buy the best that you can afford, it will pay for itself in the long run and you will enjoy your riding more. I like loose fiting clothes but tighter is better in mc clothes in case of a get off. Loose gear will roll up if you have a get off.

Since you live in a climate that is really hot and cold try to get two different suits. Vented leather is good for everything except summer for me. I use textile in summer in Texas and in Texas like climates.

Now, in northern New Mexico I use textile or leather at this time of year with a Firstgear Thermal one piece suit over them. Pricey but warm.

Get a really good rainsuit ! Rain inserts in normal gear will eventually leak and leave you cold.

Buy different gloves for the different seasons, most riders have many different pairs. Motorcycle specific boots are always good but if you use non-mc boots make sure they have a cleated or grippy sole not a smooth leather sole.Your boot will slide when you put your boot down at a stop if the sole is smooth leather( like most cowboy boots.)

• Member Contributer

...And another Olympia fan. I only have one jacket and one pair of pants and they have to do it all.

I have had my Olympia jacket for 3 years / 30,000 miles, through 110F heat, 35F cold, busy freeway miles, and The Dragon. I've had it longer than I've had any one bike, actually. Just last week in a real dumba$$ move, I broke the zipper pull-tab off the zipper head. I'll go get a new one put on and enjoy this thing for 3 more years...

As far as boots, motorcycle-specific boots are a MUST. Another member here that I know now walks funny and carries titanium in his foot simply because he let a bike fall over gently at a stop - on his hiking boot.

I really like my Alpinestars Ridge Waterproof. Solid black, not too space-cadet-ish, still holding up well after a couple of years and 20,000 miles. I do not ride without them. I've worn them all day at work, and they are passable, but since they are waterproof, they don't breathe all that well - so it will get stifling after 10 hours. They do make a vented version, but I can vouch for the waterproof-ness of mine - they are storm-tested.

• Member Contributer

For multiple season gear, the Olympia AST and Ranger Pants are a good combination ( I have). The Olympia Phantom suit would be my pick for a one piece textile. Give Tellico Plains Outfitters a shot for pricing. They have treated me great and will answer all questions.

For spirited riding....... I agree leather is the best, but putting a cow over your body in 90+ temperatures is HOT... hahahha

Anyone know anything about Motofast? There is a link to their website on Dustin Apgar's (the guy in the ghillie suit) page. I followed it and there's a lot of gear, but not a lot of info on the 'net about them.

Nothing beats dead cows in a crash. I wear a two piece Dianese roadrace suit when playing and in most reasonable temperatures. When it gets really cold I've got a Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 textile suit that I've worn on a 600 mile day in the mid 20's....grip heaters and good gloves (tourmaster).

• Member Contributer

Was looking at the Aerostich or Motoport but it looks like leather is the way to go. I will have to add Tourmaster to the list.

Leather, have you looked at the advantages and disadvantages of leather versus textile suits? I like Aerostitch, here in Cincinnati it can get humid and hot during the summer and as long as the bike is moving don't have much of a problem.

• Member Contributer

Sometimes you don't get what you paid for but I think with a motorcycle suit you do. Have seen so many posts about zippers going bad and so many posts about Aerostich Roadcrafter suits lasting ten plus years that are still in great condition. They have been making Roadcrafter suits for twenty nine years, doesn't that say something!

Archived