car rim conversion

Guest emanonsc2

Question

Guest emanonsc2

I saw a guy on here that did the car rim conversion on his 03 vfr. I have a 99 and want to do the same as he did. Can i fallow all his specs and make it work on my 99. 17x7 rim, 4x100 bolt pattern, 42mm offset, and a 200x50x17 tire. I just want to make sure it all will fit with my 99 swingarm. Thanks

• Answers 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guest vfrrider

I believe he had to add a spacer between the wheel and hub to get enough room for the tire. Which probably means increased lug length or bolt down the spacer and add lugs to it.

Larry

VFRrider

I've considered doing the same, it would be nice to fit something like this Enkei wheel, its almost a replica of an 8 spoke viffer wheel. Plus it has a nice polished lip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-ENKEI-WDM-RIMS-WHEELS-GUNMETAL-17x7-4x100-4x114-3-42-/280741774177?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item415d838361

Yes, he made a custom spacer for the wheel. Said he made two, and gave/sold the other away.

IIRC he mentioned turning the spacer in a lathe to get the center diameter to go onto the VFR hub. I guess the VFR wheel I.D. is larger than the spacer I.D. ?

I did order the 4x100 bolt pattern. It has a 42mm offset and im going to use a 1.25 inch spacer. Im just doing exactly the same as the other guy did, and pray it all lines up lol.

I found some spacers on ebay for 60 bux shipped. They are 6061 billet with pressed studs. Do u guys think the studs will be strong enough to with stand the force as im leaning into a curve? Thats the only thing scaring me about this conversion. I need a 4x100/ 1.25" spacer that is good and safe. Any body have any suggestions. Thanks

• Member Contributer

I found some spacers on ebay for 60 bux shipped. They are 6061 billet with pressed studs. Do u guys think the studs will be strong enough to with stand the force as im leaning into a curve? Thats the only thing scaring me about this conversion. I need a 4x100/ 1.25" spacer that is good and safe. Any body have any suggestions. Thanks

yes its strong enough. ROCK crawlers use these things! much more stress on the part than a high speed lean! :happy:

If they are engineered to hold up 1/4 of a 4000lb car, you should be more than ok holding up 1/2 a 500lb motorcycle.

Personally, I would put some blue locktite on the nuts securing the spacer to the VFR hub. just to be sure.

Do the spacers come with nuts to secure them to the hub?

And you'll need new nuts for the tuner wheel probably unless it uses acorn seat lug nuts like the stock Honda wheel

Does.

I will throw in my 2 cents here because I have actually measured this up and almost started down this road.

If you bolt on a 17x7, on my '02, it WILL NOT be centered. By the time it is centered, the rim hits the swing arm. I think a 17x6 is about all you got, and I don't think a 200 tire would fit then, if it is all centered correctly.

To keep this correct, you need a custom hub-centric spacer, and the wheels that I found don't have the same hub size, so custom it is. Plus, to center it, with the car offsets I found, you need an odd width of spacer, would have to look at my notes to be sure. Longer wheels studs are necessary too, gotta match them up...

Once that is all done, you now have a wheel that most likely hits the caliper on a 5th and 6th gen. And even if you got a rim narrowed to 5.5, my calculations always came up with a heavier wheel. When you add only 1 lb, you WILL notice a difference, and not in a good way.

I still want to do it, but it is not my current project...

Good luck to you, I hope you can make it work, I really don't wanna poo-poo on your parade.

Just my .02, :smile:

Archived