car rim conversion

Guest emanonsc2

Question

Guest emanonsc2

I saw a guy on here that did the car rim conversion on his 03 vfr. I have a 99 and want to do the same as he did. Can i fallow all his specs and make it work on my 99. 17x7 rim, 4x100 bolt pattern, 42mm offset, and a 200x50x17 tire. I just want to make sure it all will fit with my 99 swingarm. Thanks

• Answers 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the ZX-12r comes stock with a 200 series tire, albeit mounted on a 6.0" rim, not a 7.0", but it's got over 160hp as compared to the 100 of the VFR and 40lbs heavier too.

So the tire is definetly going to be flatter profile than intended. More contact patch when in a straight line, I'm not sure how much when leaned over.

I'm pretty sure it's gonna be harder to muscle through the corners though.

For better fitment and rounder profile on the 7.0" rim, a 210/50-17 would work.

Metzeler makes a tire in that size, but I'm guessing it would rub hard on the swingarm, as your 200/50-17 is probably already very very close I would guess.

One thing that is good with your swap is the final drive gearing won't change, as the diameter of both tires is within a gnats whisker.

• Member Contributer

Yes let us know how it rides for you.

Plenty nae sayers but lets hear it from a man who has done it! :fing02:

Really all that matters is how it works for you. I had a cruiser for 6 years before I bought my VFR. But even if the wider rear tire slows the turning responce down it will still be a night and day difference in the handeling department compared to a cruiser. Get your suspension sorted and farkle it out any way you want it. It is your bike after all no matter what the "Experts" have to say about it.

Hello,

For those of you who say booo I say Yeaaah. I have been running this set up for 7000 miles with the same dunlop roadsmart.(it's just getting to the wear indicators) I am not sure that I am the first one to put the adapter into play and make it a bolt on mod but I think I am. The center of the adapter needs to be opened up just a bit. I used a cut off wheel pushing the disk in flat on the last one.Other than that no alterations needed. Find a good tire shop with the machine that grabs inside the back of the wheel. I had a choice to make, spend $300 on a stock wheel and then buy a tire or spend the same on a new tire and wheel. I made the right choice for me. I ride hard, I ride fast and don't slow down much in the corners. I drag pegs and the wheel does not stop me from doing that. I took my exhaust off at the cat and put a strait pipe on it. Its loud and nasty and I like that too. Its OK to be different, it's also OK to save money. My tire is wearing evenly and I have found no issues with the conversion other than my speedo is off by 4 mph.(shows faster than I'm going) I never rode it with a stock tire and wheel, it was wrecked bad when I got it but I can't imagine that it could ride much better. I'm a big guy and I don't mind throwing it into a corner one bit. That is just my two sense do what you want but it is not a ride altering mod.

• Member Contributer

Hello,

For those of you who say booo I say Yeaaah. I have been running this set up for 7000 miles with the same dunlop roadsmart.(it's just getting to the wear indicators) I am not sure that I am the first one to put the adapter into play and make it a bolt on mod but I think I am. The center of the adapter needs to be opened up just a bit. I used a cut off wheel pushing the disk in flat on the last one.Other than that no alterations needed. Find a good tire shop with the machine that grabs inside the back of the wheel. I had a choice to make, spend $300 on a stock wheel and then buy a tire or spend the same on a new tire and wheel. I made the right choice for me. I ride hard, I ride fast and don't slow down much in the corners. I drag pegs and the wheel does not stop me from doing that. I took my exhaust off at the cat and put a strait pipe on it. Its loud and nasty and I like that too. Its OK to be different, it's also OK to save money. My tire is wearing evenly and I have found no issues with the conversion other than my speedo is off by 4 mph.(shows faster than I'm going) I never rode it with a stock tire and wheel, it was wrecked bad when I got it but I can't imagine that it could ride much better. I'm a big guy and I don't mind throwing it into a corner one bit. That is just my two sense do what you want but it is not a ride altering mod.

I would be really anxious to see a GoPro or similar video following you on a ride is some real twisties. I would like to see what that looks like leaned over, and how fast you are able to transition from left to right and back.

• Member Contributer

Why not do this with a 17 x 6 car tire and a normal sized tire?

Other than a heavier wheel, if the spacing lines up, this shouldn't negatively affect handling like the flat profile on his 200 mm wheel will, and would let all the farklers add whatever wheels they want.

Am I missing something?

I love that blue Clingon with the MOMO wheel - it's uber sexy! Well done!

thanks man. I love the look too. Im debating about doing the cadillac pearl white with some flat black graphics. But not sure yet. The paint job now is a "looks good from far" i do custom paint jobs on rv planes, so i want to do some thing bad a&& on the bike.

Harder to find narrower car wheels than a 17x7 with a 4x100 bolt circle.

WORK wheels make a 17x5.5, but they are high-end wheels and über expensive.

Doable, just not cheap and somewhat rare.

Here's that wheel I was mentioning, nevermind the 5 bolt pattern, they are generic pics, but do come in a 4x100.

http://www.imageinmo.../D3S-17x5.5.htm

varianzad3s.jpg

Actually, now that I've searched, there are a few different WORK wheels in that size:

http://www.vividraci...00-p-65382.html

work-schwert-sc2-crystalsilv.jpg

work-schwert-sc1-black-polish.jpg

Really, there are a few options from 17x5.5, 17x6, 17x6.5, etc. Not sure of the backspacing, but there are a few wheels out there that would probably fit with the 4x100 bolt pattern.

And you could get a better, more rounded profile out of the tire by using a 6.0" rim than a 7.0" (assuming a 200 series tire in each case)

You would just need to do the math on the backspacing. Convert it to mm and use the stock as a base number. The other combo was the only one that worked with off the shelf parts. There may be another match out there, or a thin spacer on top a one inch adapter. I had zero luck finding a wheel that was less than 7" wide that was under $350 however that was over a year ago. I will take some ride vids with some good corners and transitions, just as soon as the ice and snow are cleared.

I'm sure I've read about race RC45s running 6.5" rims with 190s, IIRC the offset on them meant that the wheels weren't actually true but the riders said they didn't notice any ill effects with the handling? Which sounds weird, but motorcycle dynamics are inherrently weird anyway... Larry might have some insights, but I haven't seen him here for a while - hope all is ok in the Busy Little Shop.

• Member Contributer

I guess that makes sense. Cars with wheels less than 7" wide are going to be smaller cars and so 17" would be too tall. No market for that. Bummer.

Archived