car rim conversion

Guest emanonsc2

Question

Guest emanonsc2

I saw a guy on here that did the car rim conversion on his 03 vfr. I have a 99 and want to do the same as he did. Can i fallow all his specs and make it work on my 99. 17x7 rim, 4x100 bolt pattern, 42mm offset, and a 200x50x17 tire. I just want to make sure it all will fit with my 99 swingarm. Thanks

• Answers 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well i got it on today. My buddy with his laith (not sure if that is spelled right) had to work today so i couldnt open up the bore on the spacer but once that is done it will be perfectly centered. Here are some pics, and yes i still need to paint the front rim.

post-23742-0-17590100-1322694660.jpg

post-23742-0-58400100-1322694730.jpg

post-23742-0-44999900-1322694818.jpg

post-23742-0-19568100-1322694887.jpg

post-23742-0-46179500-1322694970.jpg

post-23742-0-81177300-1322695092.jpg

post-23742-0-59218300-1322695155.jpg

Chainguard gone?

And what did you find out about the car rim and the Honda lug nuts? The OEM Honda nuts have a "ball type" seat, and your new car rim may need different lug nuts in order to have proper contact and remain torqued properly.

If you DO replace the lug nuts, I advise against aluminum ones, for obvious reasons.........

You should be able to source the proper ones at any tire shop, if needed.

Looks good.

There is still a lot of room between the rim and the swingarm, you won't be able to pull this off on a 3rd gen. The stock 5.5" rim clears the swingarm by <15mm (9/16") and that is not enough for the >3/4" needed when going to a 7" rim.

• Member Contributer

Looks like a good set up to do some serious slabbing for long distance touring. There are ST1300/1100 guys that put car tires on the rear for that. Is that a car tire I suppose? What one is it? If I was going to Tennessee I would pre-ship another MC wheel with a tire mounted for enjoying the twisties!

• Member Contributer

Looks like a good set up to do some serious slabbing for long distance touring. There are ST1300/1100 guys that put car tires on the rear for that. Is that a car tire I suppose? What one is it? If I was going to Tennessee I would pre-ship another MC wheel with a tire mounted for enjoying the twisties!

That's a Shinko Raven 009. They have one of the flattest profiles of any motorcycle tire.

Wheel looks pretty good.

Yeah it the raven tire. It had skme good curve to it till it was mounted then kind of flattened out a bit. I have not gotten to ride it yet since i still need to open up the spacer some. I did not get a chance to weigh the rim or spacer but the rim is a momo next 17x7 so im sure the weight is online. I have an extra spacer so i can weigh that one. Im going to open up the oer spacer to fit as well if any one wants it let me know. I love the look but i need to hurry and powder coat the front to match lol

• Member Contributer

I did not get a chance to weigh the rim or spacer but the rim is a momo next 17x7 so im sure the weight is online.

I tend not to trust what's listed online due to it usually being questionable.

That is true. I was so excited i forgot to do alot of stuff, im suprised i took pics lol. I had to run around to 5 different tire places just to find some one to mount the tire for me, and all 5 places told me to bring the bike by when im done with it lol.

• Member Contributer

Doesn't look like there would be much of a contact patch when leaned over...

This conversion is great for anyone who either

A: doesnt know how to drag a peg every now and then or

B: you live in the central states of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nabraska, S & N Dakota where the only curve in the road is the curvature of the earth.

• Member Contributer

This conversion is great for anyone who either

A: doesnt know how to drag a peg every now and then or

B: you live in the central states of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nabraska, S & N Dakota where the only curve in the road is the curvature of the earth.

Yeah, I get that now that I live in Oklahoma for the first time in 12 years since learning to ride on the beautiful, curvy roads in Washington, Idaho, Oregon, and BC. I was just thinking that if he did get into some curves in Arkansas Ozarks or Texas hill country, I would be very careful on that setup...

I saw a guy on here that did the car rim conversion on his 03 vfr. I have a 99 and want to do the same as he did. Can i fallow all his specs and make it work on my 99. 17x7 rim, 4x100 bolt pattern, 42mm offset, and a 200x50x17 tire. I just want to make sure it all will fit with my 99 swingarm. Thanks

This is one wacky idea !! Might as well send your bike to a crusher and display it as a compact cube.

It makes no sense to ruin a motorcycle by excessive modification, and this is way too excessive.

You need a Boss Hoss not a sophisticated machine like a VFR.

OK, some mad scientist grafts the rear end of an elephant to the front end of a cheetah, but what kind of animal is THAT ?? Useless, like any bike with a car wheel.

Let's have the balls to flatly state that some things that other guys have done to their bikes is nonsense.

How about we state that while you're entitled to your opinion, its not necessary to come on here and talk shit in his conversion thread. Whats the big deal? if thats what he likes and wants to do, thats his prerogative, you don't have to act like modding a VFR is sacrilege just because its not your cup of tea.

• Member Contributer

How about we state that while you're entitled to your opinion, its not necessary to come on here and talk shit in his conversion thread. Whats the big deal? if thats what he likes and wants to do, thats his prerogative, you don't have to act like modding a VFR is sacrilege just because its not your cup of tea.

:+1:

Well said.

It's a big world out there and not everything is going to be the way you want it to be and that's a fact. Besides, I don't need my "balls" to tell someone what I think. I prefer to use my brains for that. :wink:

• Member Contributer

It makes no sense to ruin a motorcycle by excessive modification, and this is way too excessive.

Huh?? He put a different wheel on his bike. So would you say that Toro's SC would be excessive? Most everything Seb builds would be excessive? Fotomoto's and several others complete fairing swaps excessive? The numerous mods that BLS has done to Mr. RC45? Etc, Etc....

Well thank you for the replys. Just to clear some stuff up ive only been riding for 3 years now and 2 of those were on a cruiser the other bike was a 95 katana boooooo lol. So no i dont drag any pegs when i turn, hell i havnt even been over 100 on the bike. I just love to modify anything i own. I had a show car that was a saturn sc2 for Christ sakes lol and put a turbo on it!!! And since im being honest here i had 2500 cash on me and bought the coolest looking bike i found on craigslist. I had never even heard about the vfr prior. So i took what i got and went with it lol.

Archived