electrical meltage

BerT6801

post-19884-0-83637000-1317266925_thumb.j'94 VFR750

Ok..what a fun night I have had. Left my buddy's house, noticed my headlight looked a bit dim... got to the end of the road. speedometer dropped dead. Once stopped fully bike dies. Immediately went to battery. 9v with meter. Replaced battery... bike fires right up. Now I will admit I dont know much about stators and such, but I did the ole "pull the negative" while its running and it immediately dies

Drove straight home. Pulled fairing to get to regulator to find this... so odviously I need a new regulator, but what the heck do I do about the melted plug. How do I replace this, needless to say the wiring harness isnt too forgiving with wire length. I had this forum bookmarked for years so Its my first post. All help appreciated, I need suspension advice too, but thats later :)

• Member Contributer

While you'll no doubt get lots of replies here, a bit of searching on the forum will turn up loads of posts on this subject. The section under Forums>Motorcycle Maintenance>Electrical will get you started. The website below is run by a member and will have everything you'll need to repair the meltage. Be sure to check out the VFRNess, and while you're at it OxGard to apply to the new connector to help prevent future occurances. Also, head to the files section here and download the shop manual for your 4g and perform the diagnostic checks on your stator and R/R. You'll want to get this and any other suspect connectors fixed before doing any tests to see what charging system voltage you're getting. Sorry for your plight - but better that you discovered it while close to home.

http://www.wiremybike.com/

• Member Contributer

Sorry - R/R is 'Regulator / Rectifier ' - it does 2 things - it changes the A/C voltage coming from the stator in to DC and regulates the voltage to the proper amount - about 14 1/4 volts or so. The stator has 3 yellow wires that connect to the R/R. That connector is also subject to frequent meltage, so be sure to check it and repair if necessary. If you spend a bit of time on this thread, you'll be way down to road to understanding what you're dealing with . . . .

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/29975-tips-tricks-to-help-your-charging-system/

Here's another good one

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/65144-vfrness%3B-what-is-it-exactly-and-why-would-i-need-one/

There are many more in the electrical section - browse through it a while and you'll find some more that will be helpful to you.

• Member Contributer

Fixes found here: http://www.wiremybik...eafc073a44e5469

More melty connectors with excellent pics and repairs found here: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/62912-stator-rr-wires-connector-fried/

You can buy a new connector for just the stator, to replace the melted one, but I would seriously test the hell out of the stator, and if you are so inclined, maybe even just purchase a new one for peace of mind.

Your call though, the connector is available all by itself though, with some pigtails. Splice and solder, shrinkwrap and you're done.

The 3 yellows from the stator do not have to be connected in any special order, they are all the same outputs, so if you mix 'em up while resoldering, no drama.

Just be glad you did not have this happen:

452586597_185713efaa.jpg

Holy cow...thanks for the good info guys. I have had this bike for sometime and this is the absolute first issue I have had, Even got a small following of VFR owners locally now due to this bike. Good to know there is a bike specific group. Look forward to spending time here, as for now I got some serious reading to do.

Holy cow...thanks for the good info guys. I have had this bike for sometime and this is the absolute first issue I have had, Even got a small following of VFR owners locally now due to this bike. Good to know there is a bike specific group. Look forward to spending time here, as for now I got some serious reading to do.

A vfr will not run without a battery, it does not need a stator to run, as long as it has a charged battery, just an fyi in your trouble shooting.

• Member Contributer

:+1: on all the above. Been there done ALL that. I would recommend upgrading the R/R to a '98-99 model (MOSFET version). Joshua (wiremybike.com) can fix you up with a modified VFRness which will work with it. So a new R/R, new stator, VFRness and a volt meter should fix you up from future repeats. :smile:

Chuck

• Member Contributer

The best thing to do is jumper all plugs involved with the charging system by bypassing them with a soldered wire on each side of the plug. This way if you ever have to make a road repair, the plug will still be there and all you have to do is cut and insulate the jumper wires that are across each plug.

There is always a danger in high current situations that the plugs involved will develop some resistance and therefore heat up and melt. Jumpering virtually eliminates this problem.

• Member Contributer

:+1: on all the above. Been there done ALL that. I would recommend upgrading the R/R to a '98-99 model (MOSFET version). Joshua (wiremybike.com) can fix you up with a modified VFRness which will work with it. So a new R/R, new stator, VFRness and a volt meter should fix you up from future repeats. :smile:

Chuck

:+1:

On the volt meter. It tipped me off to a sure ride stranding problem I was heading for.

• Member Contributer

Chuck

:+1:

On the volt meter. It tipped me off to a sure ride stranding problem I was heading for.

I hear ya man. I'll never have another bike without a volt meter on it. Would have saved me from pushing my bike out of morning rush hour traffic on the interstate down the emergency lane to the next exit on my way to work!

The volt meter actually worked in my favor recently as I noticed un-normal readings taking place. Turned out my stator was on it's way out and I was able to correct the problem before I was stranded 'again'. Highly recommended.

What they all said....

The 90-97 VFRs really like to melt down at that connector...this ruins the R/R and the connector. The harness I sell replaces the connector and the small stator wires which is what melts. It also comes with the starter relay repair kit, as that melts about 1/2 the time as well!

Truly a mess. If I owned one I would upgrade to a 98-99 model R/R as suggested. It costs a bit more but is night and day different.

What they all said....

The 90-97 VFRs really like to melt down at that connector...this ruins the R/R and the connector. The harness I sell replaces the connector and the small stator wires which is what melts. It also comes with the starter relay repair kit, as that melts about 1/2 the time as well!

Truly a mess. If I owned one I would upgrade to a 98-99 model R/R as suggested. It costs a bit more but is night and day different.

Tell me what Im lookin at for the updated situation. and lets get this ball rolling on this. I got a church bike ride I was trying to get ready for in 7 days...dont know if Im gonna make it.

Which way do you want to do it? If you order the VFRNess from here:

http://www.wiremybike.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_16&products_id=331&osCsid=321bfb15fa8a309f757a0468a279ddf6

and the R/R for the 98-99 VFR from here:

http://www.wiremybike.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_8&products_id=329&osCsid=321bfb15fa8a309f757a0468a279ddf6

just put a note in to make the VFRness fit the 98-99...I will do the rest.

• Member Contributer

If you decide on a meter, this thread has a very slick installation for a 4th gen . . . looks almost factory. You might not have time for it for your ride, but worth considering. I like a meter vs a warning light as it lets me keep track of trends and maybe head off a problem rather than react to it. You can order the meter with the rest of the items you need to get going.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/gear-accessories/14549-i-got-power-digital-volt-meter.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well Crap....got all the goods in today... but before I just wired n go.... I did some testing.. stator putting out odd voltages.... It ohmed good, but at idel Im gettin 24vac along any two terminals,,, at 5500 Im gettin 24vac across one set and 82vac across the other.... so Im guessing this is a shot stator?....if so Where is the best place to get one up at a decent price

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Those readings definately don't sound good. I replaced mine recently with a Ricks Motorsport Electrics stator. I believe i got mine from Motorcycle Superstore and it was about $125 with free shipping. Ricks seems to be the recommended aftermarket replacement from everything I've read on VFRD. Had no problem with the install and mine has worked perfectly so far. Either order a new gasket or get some gasket material from an autoparts store and make one (which is what I did) for your stator cover. You'll be lucky to get the gasket off in one piece especially if you still have the original stator in there.

Chuck

• Member Contributer

Well Crap....got all the goods in today... but before I just wired n go.... I did some testing.. stator putting out odd voltages.... It ohmed good, but at idel Im gettin 24vac along any two terminals,,, at 5500 Im gettin 24vac across one set and 82vac across the other.... so Im guessing this is a shot stator?

Yup, that stator is farked. Same thing happened to mine - one phase died. The reason they die is overheating in the stator windings causing the enamel on the wires to break down and the stator wires to short out to themselves. This stops them from generating power. There's some chicken-and-egg stuff that goes on here (i.e. what died first, the stator or the regulator connector), but the best solution is just to replace all the components with known good ones and move on.

Well come to find out the weird voltage was due to one of the connections in the new harness not going in all the way. I think Im going to go the route others have recomended and straight wire everything from the stator to the R/R.. Just to be sure. I hooked it all up and at idle Im getting pretty much line voltage of 12.56v... then when reving it goes up to 14.6v.. The one thing that concerns me is when ohming out the windings of the stator... everywhere I read says about 1ohm... I get 0.03 on all leads. Kinda low

Well come to find out the weird voltage was due to one of the connections in the new harness not going in all the way. I think Im going to go the route others have recomended and straight wire everything from the stator to the R/R.. Just to be sure. I hooked it all up and at idle Im getting pretty much line voltage of 12.56v... then when reving it goes up to 14.6v.. The one thing that concerns me is when ohming out the windings of the stator... everywhere I read says about 1ohm... I get 0.03 on all leads. Kinda low

At what RPM does charging start to rise? It doesn't sound like you have an issue...at low RPM the bike won't charge. As long as you get 14.6 at normal cruise you are just fine.

Archived