Really stuck

Guest TheWarrior17

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which Generation of VFR should I try to acquire?

• 5th Gen VFR
    • 6th Gen VFR

Guest TheWarrior17

So, I'm relatively new to the forum for those I haven't come across yet. I'm looking at a VFR for my next motorcycle. Seems pretty straight forward. BUT its not. My father (joneill) has 5th gen VFR that I'm in love with. I know I'd love to have a 5th gen. However, there are some problems with getting a 5th gen. The actual bike is getting harder to find (plenty out there but the miles are starting to creep up) and along with that any OEM parts. Additionally considering 5th gens are now in there double digits age wise the maintenance seems to be increasing and all of that can add up pretty quick.

So...possible solution: get a 6th gen VFR. Another bike that I really like, haven't had the chance to ride one but I think they're great. Only problem is it doesn't have the gear driven cams like the 5th gen (yeah yeah I know I'm being picky), it has VTEC which MIGHTbe a problem (I can't say for myself, I haven't rode one so I don't know how it feels). Also valve adjustment on a 6th gen is somewhere around $750 and thats really expensive and I don't know if other 6th gen maintenance expenses are similar. However, there is a much bigger accessories and aftermarket business for the 6th gen that you don't find so much with the 5th.

So I'm stuck trying to decide which one to go after. IF I go 5th gen, it'll probably be a 98 or 99. IF I decided to go with a 6th gen I"m going to look for the anniversary edition.

So with all that in mind, I, the noob who knows next to nothing, asks you, the experts of VFRD for you expert opinion on this matter. I would love to hear what you guys have to say and whatever advice you might have.

And feel free to pick one in the poll.

Thanks in advance

-Mike

• Member Contributer

Only way you'll know is to ride a 6th gen and find out whether you like it. Its impossible to ask this forum that question, its like saying do you like Makers Mark or Jack Daniels, its all good and personal preference to each individual. What I can tell you is i've owned both gens and they're both awesome, you cant go wrong either way. As far as old or alot of miles...these bikes eat miles and I see 5th gens with less than 20,000 miles frequently, and that mileage is nothing, theres members here who have well over 100,000 miles, a couple with over 200,000.

Time you stop wondering and got it done, either bike is a classic!!

You should be more concerned about whether you prefer Blondes, Brunettes or Redheads cause with a VFR you're gunna have options :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Only way you'll know is to ride a 6th gen and find out whether you like it. Its impossible to ask this forum that question, its like saying do you like Makers Mark or Jack Daniels, its all good and personal preference to each individual. What I can tell you is i've owned both gens and they're both awesome, you cant go wrong either way. As far as old or alot of miles...these bikes eat miles and I see 5th gens with less than 20,000 miles frequently, and that mileage is nothing, theres members here who have well over 100,000 miles, a couple with over 200,000.

You should be more concerned about whether you prefer Blondes, Brunettes or Redheads cause with a VFR you're gunna have options :fing02:

Hello, I have a 2000 for sale. Low miles. Plenty of extras. Drop me a line if you are interested.

motor_ref

• Member Contributer

Don't forget the 6th gen also has a much better chassis and suspension.

The OEM hardbags available on 6th gen only are also excellent.

While looking in the mirrors with both 5th and 6th gens behind me at TMac I also noticed the 6th gens headlights are brighter. It varied from bike to bike, but overall they seemed about twice as bright.

But, a lot of people don't like the extra kick-in-the-pants when the VTEC kicks in.

And the 6th gen does not have gear driven cams, as you said.

My issue with the mileage is the amount of maintenance that comes with the mileage. And if that maintenance requires parts, I might have trouble finding them cause the bike is getting older.

You make a very valid point though, I really need to ride a 6th gen and I would like to. But I'm looking for those personal preferences in case someone mentions something I didn't know about or I never thought about. I'm just trying to rake in information. This way I can pick the right bike that I will be able to ride and most effectively use to attract said Blondes/Brunettes/Redheads :biggrin:

-Mike

• Member Contributer

Here's the deal though....there is no major issues. the bike will run forever with very little maintenance. The only real issues you'd be dealing with would be electrical and those can easily be rectified with parts sold right here by members, Tightwad can really help you out here. I personally like the 6th gen because of the points made above by Ryanme17, hardbags in particular but even those can be done on the 5th. The bottom line here is the women are getting impatient and if ya snoozin ya losing, theres plenty of 4th gen owners taking up the slack and are happy you're staying off the grid. If you want the Naca crowd to enjoy the spoils of "winning" then keep sitting on the fence...... :biggrin:

I see zero issues with getting Gen 5 parts in the years to come. I too find low milers in my area. Gear driven cams are great. vetch valve sets are an issue but it's a once or twice event for most.

Bottom line is ride them both Buy the one that loves you. No need to over complicate it. I hope to run my gen5 for another ten years. Then maybe an ST1300? BTW try to get a 2000/01

• Member Contributer

I really like redheads...

:biggrin:

:laughing6-hehe: :laughing6-hehe:

I'll take whatever comes my way........

Back on topic :biggrin:

what parts will you need in years to come?? (assuming you will keep the 5th Gen forever like we all say..)

chain no problem

sprockets no problem

oil no problem

rubber no prpblem (always wear one)

air filter no problem

bearings no problem

bodywork may become a problem but so far i've had no issue finding things for my 4th Gen.

You know what a 5th gen feels like

ride a redhead euh 6th Gen

buy the one that gives you the most lusting.....

• Member Contributer

I think your fears of not getting good 5th gens to buy or not getting parts for them are unfounded.

Hell that is what this forum is for!

Plenty of guy and gals show up here all the time with new (to them) 5th gens.

Send a note up to motor_ref and buy his bike. I've done some business with him and he appears to be a stickler for taking care of stuff. I'd be willing to bet his bike is pristine. Plus, he lives in Montana (I think) so do a fly in, ride with him for a day, then ride home. You'll have a freaking ball.

Ride the 6th gen then decide. Whichever one you like better...buy it. If you don't buy the one your heart lusts for, then you'll always be wondering....

• Member Contributer

I've seen quite a few low mile 5th gens for sale lately - so really your logic on those dont hold water.

The 5th and 6ths have slightly different personalitys so you wont know till you ride a 6th.

Good luck

-Get the 5th gen.... :biggrin:

I think your fears of not getting good 5th gens to buy or not getting parts for them are unfounded.

Hell that is what this forum is for!

Plenty of guy and gals show up here all the time with new (to them) 5th gens.

Send a note up to motor_ref and buy his bike. I've done some business with him and he appears to be a stickler for taking care of stuff. I'd be willing to bet his bike is pristine. Plus, he lives in Montana (I think) so do a fly in, ride with him for a day, then ride home. You'll have a freaking ball.

Ride the 6th gen then decide. Whichever one you like better...buy it. If you don't buy the one your heart lusts for, then you'll always be wondering....

You maybe right. However my motorcycle season is over (head back to school on the 14th) so I'll have to wait until next year to buy... However it does give me all year to research, look (I really mean drool over) at different VFRs and reviews. Hopefully I'll find a 6th gen to ride just so I know how it feels. I've sat on one but obviously sitting on one doesn't make the cut. It'd be great if Honda just took the best of both bikes and put them together into one bike...but I guess that'd make too much sense :biggrin: We'll see what happens...

-Mike

I really like redheads...

:biggrin:

:laughing6-hehe: :laughing6-hehe:

I'll take whatever comes my way........

Back on topic :biggrin:

what parts will you need in years to come?? (assuming you will keep the 5th Gen forever like we all say..)

chain no problem

sprockets no problem

oil no problem

rubber no prpblem (always wear one)

air filter no problem

bearings no problem

bodywork may become a problem but so far i've had no issue finding things for my 4th Gen.

You know what a 5th gen feels like

ride a redhead euh 6th Gen

buy the one that gives you the most lusting.....

Fair points especially needing to ride the redhead ...6th gen.

I guess my parts concern for the 5th gen includes prices. The less parts that are out there the higher the demand. Like a 2000 VFR gas tank in okay condition goes for almost $400+ and same goes with the fairings for most of the 5th gens. But hey, motorcycling is expensive so I guess I can't gripe. Just gotta find the lustful one :cool:

-Mike

I purchased my '98 from the original owner in February with just over 6.2k miles on her. At the time I thought this could be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me to score a pristine, low-mileage 5th generation model. However, since purchasing mine I've been somewhat surprised to see where quite a few 5th generation models have shown up for sale with similar miles in excellent condition. So I agree with others that there cold be more of these bikes available than you might expect. Of course, locating one in your area may be less likely than locating a 6th generation example in similar condition. Fortunately for me, I was able to inspect and ultimately purchase my vfr from a seller in my area.

Before purchasing my '98 I had ridden another 5th generation, but I did not have opportunity to ride a 6th generation until about a month ago when a friend and I switched mounts. Like others have indicated I came away from that experience with an appreciation for the the strengths and weaknesses relative to both generations, but overall I've come to realize that while each is different in some ways, in a lot of aspects they're quite similar imo.

What I (slightly) prefer about the 6th generation:

1) Suspension seems to be more refined and compliant (not as harsh).

2) Styling (I slightly prefer the 6th generation's more angular styling...but I like the styling of both models)

3) Availabilty of ABS and factory hard luggage

4) Superior lighting (quad headlights)

5) Underseat exhaust

6) V-tech Engine seems to be slightly smoother vibration-wise compared to my 5th generation...at least up to the engagement point)

7) Greater variety of luggage options & accessories still available from the aftermarket

8) Seems to be quite a few new/leftover 6th generation models sitting unsold in dealer showrooms and available for sale for a considerable discount under original msrp.

What I (slightly) prefer about my 5th generation:

1) Bullet-proof reliability of, and sounds produced by the gear-driven cams and valve train

2) No cam chain tensioner issues to worry about (tensioner failures seem to be commmon w/6th generation models)

3) 5th generation seems to produce more power and torque at lower rpm/pre-vtech engine speeds

4) Indications are that 5th generation models seem to be more fuel efficient

(Note: I'm seeing tank averages in high 40's-to-low 50's w/mine)

5) No v-tech transition issues to be concerned about (having v-tech engage while you're leaned over and accelerating could have safety issues)

6) 5th generation is considerably less expensive to have valve clearances checked and serviced

7) Depreciation (5th generation models may hold there values better as time goes one for the demand for low-mileage examples appears to be higher compared to early 6th generation models.

8) Additional v-tech complexity and serve issues don't produce any corresponding performance improvement. If anything, it's well known that a stock 5th generation makes as much power at high rpm, and more power and torque at low rpm vs. 6th generation.

So far I've been really happy with my '98. However, after riding one I probably would no't hesitate to purchase a 6th generation someday...if someday I crash or wear out my '98.

So my advice is to ride both before making a final decision, but. I doubt if you'll regret going either way unless you end up purchasing a pre-owned example with hidden "issues".

• Member Contributer

Just do like me and get one of each :biggrin:

Actually smoothsailin hit the nail pretty good in his review of the two different models. You just need to decide which bike floats your boat better. I don't have any v-tech transitions problems on my 6th gen (07 RWB), it's not even noticeable to me unless I am looking for it. You can't go wrong with either generation.

Just do like me and get one of each :biggrin:

:+1: I like the way you think, definitely would be the ideal! :biggrin:

But I don't have the money for both, so I'm stuck making a decision... :lobby:

-Mike

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I happen to like the VTEC. My motorcyling history includes many Yamaha two stroke twins, most of which ended up modded with expansion chambers etc. The VTEC isn't as bad as an RD400 comming into it's powerband. So I guess I'm just used to it enough that I respect the throttle and am aware of my RPMs... because on a two stroke if you aren't careful you'll end up on your ass....

So, where do you live? There my be a chance at scoring a 6th gen test ride with someone nearby...

:rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Don't forget the 6th gen also has a much better chassis and suspension.

The OEM hardbags available on 6th gen only are also excellent.

While looking in the mirrors with both 5th and 6th gens behind me at TMac I also noticed the 6th gens headlights are brighter. It varied from bike to bike, but overall they seemed about twice as bright.

But, a lot of people don't like the extra kick-in-the-pants when the VTEC kicks in.

And the 6th gen does not have gear driven cams, as you said.

Define "much" better chassis and suspension. AFAIK the only differences (beyond personal set up, and let's be honest here, all are set up for the mythical standard rider that is not the average American) are 2mm larger diameter forks with the same adjustment options and 10mm longer (or thereabouts, one chain link) swingarm. Sure, you get remote preload with ABS.

That's really the big point you should be making. Available ABS.

I find the VTec a smoother and quieter engine. Personally I prefer the more raw personality of the Fifth Gen. And there's still a nice kick in the pants when you get into the power band proper on the 5th.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like you're answering your own question when I read your thoughts.

Long term, possible touring, ABS, somewhat better suspension and better parts availability - all point in the direction of 6th gen.

To me, the looks, availability of ABS and low-mile specimens would be deciding factors.

But if the 5th gen is calling your name, you won't go wrong with that either.

So, don't agonize over it. Just go look at some candidates and buy whatever you like.

Archived