It only took 25 years but I finally got a VFR! Updated with some pics.

• Member Contributer

I've dreamed about these bikes for so long and now I finally have one, and it was free! A good friend had his 1996 VFR750F sitting since 2005. He told me if I wanted it to come get it and boy was I knocking on his door the first chance I got! I went there ready to just push it the mile to my house but another friend towed me home behind his truck which was a little scary in itself. Thanks so much, I've already learned a lot going through this site. I guess I need to start learning how to clean out this gas tank and where to send these carbs off too.

post-23121-0-53556100-1308876497_thumb.j

• Member Contributer

I've dreamed about these bikes for so long and now I finally have one, and it was free! A good friend had his 1996 VFR750F sitting since 2005. He told me if I wanted it to come get it and boy was I knocking on his door the first chance I got! I went there ready to just push it the mile to my house but another friend towed me home behind his truck which was a little scary in itself. Anyway, before I flood the forum with questions, can someone please give me a link to a safe download of the service manual? I've seen a few on the web but would like a second opinion on a safe one. Thanks so much, I've already learned a lot going through this site. I guess I need to start learning how to clean out this gas tank and where to send these carbs off too.

Shouldn't need to send the carbs off anywhere, just get them disconnected and let them soak in carb cleaner, then pull the bowls off and clean out all the goop with a can of carb cleaner.

• Member Contributer

Shouldn't need to send the carbs off anywhere, just get them disconnected and let them soak in carb cleaner, then pull the bowls off and clean out all the goop with a can of carb cleaner.

Thanks, will do.

Welcome. That thing looks clean. :fing02:

Looks to be missing the right side Frankenstein bolt for the rear cowl. :comp13:

• Member Contributer

Well it looks clean because it's wet from a wash. It is in good shape overall but there are a few scrapes from dropping it without the kickstand down and yes, I only have one franken bolt. I do have the grab handles too, once I find the franken bolt part number I'll order those. The paint is also overall very rough to the touch, sort of sand paperish. I'm hoping it's just oxidation and can be buffed out.

Carbs are not bad at all. Just take your time, a few pics if needed, and have some fun....hell of a deal....wish I had some friends like that. How many miles on her?

• Member Contributer

Carbs are not bad at all. Just take your time, a few pics if needed, and have some fun....hell of a deal....wish I had some friends like that. How many miles on her?

The bike has 7700 miles on it and I'm the third owner.

• Member Contributer

Excellent choice for a screen name, suits your story perfectly!

Welcome!

Thanks, I was very lucky. I also use that screen name on other forums, a VTX and a triathlon one, in that if I'm able to spend time posting and enjoying my hobbies, I must be living a great life.

Welcome and congrats

Have you tried to start it? If it were me I would probably get too excited and charge the battery and see if it will go. You'll need to flush the fluids (clutch, brake, coolant, any old fuel, oil) but you might not even need to clean the carbs if it will start, if it runs rough then some Seafoam or something might clean it up (although, giving the carbs a good scrub will ensure a good running bike).

The carbs are a little tricky to get on and off, especially if the rubber boots have hardened up from sitting in the weather and being 15 years old. I think I usually set the back first and then the front, sometimes a rubber mallet if handy (or real hammer and a block of wood, be careful what you hammer on). Have any questions just ask, lots of folks here to help you out

Good luck, I love these bikes and have 2

• Member Contributer

I used a length of wood to help prying the rubber boots off. When I was reinstalling them, I got them hot and pliable in some hot water and they went on a lot easier.

Congrats on the find. One of the best looking years.

• Member Contributer

Welcome and congrats

Have you tried to start it? If it were me I would probably get too excited and charge the battery and see if it will go. You'll need to flush the fluids (clutch, brake, coolant, any old fuel, oil) but you might not even need to clean the carbs if it will start, if it runs rough then some Seafoam or something might clean it up (although, giving the carbs a good scrub will ensure a good running bike).

It doesn't have a battery and that's probably a good thing. I'll flush the fluids just like you suggested. It'll need new tires too, just look at the wear on the front. It looks like the previous owner did a lot of left hand turns!

post-23121-0-80823500-1308950808_thumb.j

The other thing I would look at is the Regulator/Rectifier (R/R). The older gens have a notorious problem with them. If it's OEM I would look at replacing it, they run about $100.00. Other than that, everyone else piped in and said what to check. Good luck and have fun with her.

• Member Contributer

OOF, that front tire is completely Rogered!

I know! It's got me wondering if something is wrong with the front end.

OOF, that front tire is completely Rogered!

I know! It's got me wondering if something is wrong with the front end.

I was thinking the same thing. I'd look into finding out if everything is where it should be. btw, the carbs on my 4th gen were the easiest set of carbs I've ever done. There is a post on the forum somehwhere about getting them on and off. It took me ~1min total to get them on and off. Just make sure you put the front in first, then the back. If you were closer, I'd help you out with them.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond.

Ditch the rear tyre even if it may look good but it is too old

All it is good for is serving as a rim protector and doing some lengthy burnouts.......... :laughing6-hehe:

:+1:

on the bolt missing that holds down the seat cowl

The 3rd/4th gen manual can be found here onder FILES (top bar) It contains sections on how to test the electrical system. as do some post here on how to ensure good grounding.

Near the battery, check the red and green connector for sings of burning. They should look like this

HPIM2333.jpg

HPIM2334.jpg

If the R/R is still good, why spend $.

if it is still the flat pack one, you may want to add a heatsink to dissipate some heat

HPIM2330.jpg

NACA's rule!!!

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the tips with pics. I'll definitely ditch both tires. I got the service manual and have been reading through it. Can't wait to work on the bike but right now I'm driving to Colorado with the family. I'm picking up a friend from England at the Denver airport to do a little touring with us.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Damn Lucky indeed and great friend you have their biggrin.gif

You have a fantastic bike in the 4th gen VFR and any info you need will get answered here through an incredible group of very knowledgeable people. +1.gif

Hope you get the bike on the road soon and get to enjoy it asapbeer.gif

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Well I started to take the VFR apart. I got the farings off, discovered my rear brake fluid, coolant and clutch fluid are all low. The bike has 7700 miles but sat awhile, since 05. I drained the tank and got the airbox off and a mouse was starting a nest in the rear above the tail lights. I guess my next step is taking the carbs off and soaking/cleaning them. The tank really smelled like varnish so I'm guessing the carbs are gummed up. While I have all the farings off, anyone want to suggest anything else that needs to be done?

1. change oil

2. Can I just add coolant, brake fluid and fluid to the clutch?

3. change fuel filter

post-23121-0-84892100-1312894316_thumb.j

Here's the mouse nest.

post-23121-0-81237500-1312894430_thumb.j

Here's an alarm I took out, too many wires in the way for something I don't need and I don't know if it works.

post-23121-0-64403600-1312894555_thumb.j

What every tear down needs, a vacuum for the debris and pledge to shine things up. I don't want any debris getting into the carbs.

Archived