It only took 25 years but I finally got a VFR! Updated with some pics.

• Member Contributer

Damn lucky indeed. Congrats!

I would also change fork oil and check the steering bearing. That tire ware is troubling.

Enjoy the restoration!

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the bike. I don't know how much time you've spent on the charging system, but that looks like the original R/R. My original R/R crapped out on me in rush hour traffic going to work in downtown Atlanta while on I-20. Not fun. If you really want to beef up the system, I'd put the '98-'99 VFR MOSFET version R/R (Ricks Motorsports), get a VFRness for it from wiremybike.com (Joshua). I have that as well as a new stator and battery. I finally solved all my problems by replacing every #$%^ thing!

Good luck with it! It's a blast to ride. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

If you really want to beef up the system, I'd put the '98-'99 VFR MOSFET version R/R (Ricks Motorsports), get a VFRness for it from wiremybike.com (Joshua). I have that as well as a new stator and battery.

Thanks, I plan on doing that, I'm just working my way from the engine outwards. I want to get it where I can at least start it in my yard to give me some motivation to fix the rest of the concerns.

post-23121-0-47355400-1312911967_thumb.j

Here's the R/R

post-23121-0-15907400-1312912043_thumb.j

This on the opposite side and looks a little corroded. Any idea what it is? It looks like it might be just the harness that's corroded.

• Member Contributer

If you really want to beef up the system, I'd put the '98-'99 VFR MOSFET version R/R (Ricks Motorsports), get a VFRness for it from wiremybike.com (Joshua). I have that as well as a new stator and battery.

Thanks, I plan on doing that, I'm just working my way from the engine outwards. I want to get it where I can at least start it in my yard to give me some motivation to fix the rest of the concerns.

post-23121-0-47355400-1312911967_thumb.j

Here's the R/R

post-23121-0-15907400-1312912043_thumb.j

This on the opposite side and looks a little corroded. Any idea what it is? It looks like it might be just the harness that's corroded.

Corroded part on left side of bottom picture is the fuel cut-off relay. Do you have a manual yet? You can download one from this site. I see you're in Atlanta, what part?

Chuck

• Member Contributer

I've dreamed about these bikes for so long and now I finally have one, and it was free! A good friend had his 1996 VFR750F sitting since 2005. He told me if I wanted it to come get it and boy was I knocking on his door the first chance I got! I went there ready to just push it the mile to my house but another friend towed me home behind his truck which was a little scary in itself. Thanks so much, I've already learned a lot going through this site. I guess I need to start learning how to clean out this gas tank and where to send these carbs off too.

Congratulations! I drooled over and talked my way into test rides of the VF750 and then the original VFR, but never had the budget. Until 2008, when I bought my 2003. Well worth the wait!

• Member Contributer

Corroded part on left side of bottom picture is the fuel cut-off relay. Do you have a manual yet? You can download one from this site. I see you're in Atlanta, what part?

Chuck

Yep, I downloaded the manual, just didn't look up that part, been busy getting the kids off to school this week. I'm right in Atlanta in Buckhead.

• Member Contributer

I got the carbs off tonight, very easy. I'll see how the rest of the job goes.

post-22884-0-53877400-1313107859_thumb.j

Here's where the carbs used to be.

post-22884-0-94182600-1313107962_thumb.j

Here's where they spilled old varnishy gas on my basement floor.

post-22884-0-11952700-1313108039_thumb.j

I sneak peak inside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Cool, I just found this thread!

He brought the carbs over to my place so I could walk him through the tear down procedure, so I got to see the GREEN fluid that used to be gasoline in the float bowls! Nasty! Pilot jets were clogged solid, so no chance it would have idled.

Float bowl gaskets were pretty stiff. I tried to get one of them out, but it wasn't coming so well. I just told him to leave them as is until he knew he could source new ones.

You 750 guys know if they are easy to come by?

Couple other questions for you 4th geners:

Slide needles were shimmed with a washer on each. Is that stock or a previous owner mod?

Looked like Keihin jets too my layman's eyes. What are the stock sizes?

The air mixture screws had no plugs covering them. Is that stock, or were they removed?

Two were at 2 1/4 turns out, and the others were 2 and 1 3/4 out. I told him start with all at 2 1/4. Hows that sound?

He said it was stock exhaust, so I'm guessing there was no jet kit. But I'm wondering about the needle shims and air mixture screws just for my personal curiosity.

• Member Contributer

Aside from the carbs, for sure clean and flush the brake and clutch master cylinders. I've seen newer bikes that get plenty of use have really nasty fluid.

Clean and re-grease the lever pivots on both bars.

Flush the radiator. I like Honda brand 50/50 premix from the car dealer to refill.

Things you may find you will need pretty quickly are:

Water pump

Thermostat

Fork seals

Wheel bearings

Steering head bearings

You should get a brake bleeder if you don't already have one. I like my power bleeder that runs off the compressor line, but a regular hand pump type will work fine too. No linked brakes, right? Straight lines are pretty easy to bleed.

Any other help you need, let me know! I have DIY/poor man's fork seal driver and head bearing driver stuff. (Not the proper tools, but I've done several of my own bikes over the years with my gear.)

• Member Contributer

Kevin,

Thanks for your help at your house and this post. I ordered four gasket sets which wound up over a hundred bucks! After the carbs are done and installed I'll get to the rest of your list. I also ordered a fuel filter and the secondary air filter that we saw was shot along with tires.

I'll post photos of the carbs apart when I get back to my PC.

• Member Contributer

Here's my float bowls with the green mess.

post-22884-0-41859800-1313970489_thumb.j

Here's the inside of the carbs with more green goo.

post-22884-0-80125400-1313970647_thumb.j

Here's the dirty floats and parts of the slides.

post-22884-0-17379100-1313970762_thumb.j

Dirty needles and jets.

post-22884-0-84292800-1313970850_thumb.j

O rings and the four float needles.

post-22884-0-60929500-1313970966_thumb.j

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Here's some more pic's, I finally got a little time to work on the bike but I wished I took more photo's along the way.

post-22884-0-55083200-1316916631_thumb.j

Here's the bike, carbs are back on, radiator if flushed, clutch and brakes are bleed and fluid replaced, oil changed. Wheels off to get new tires and a cleaning.

post-22884-0-19219000-1316916776_thumb.j

Bikes has yet to start but new wheels!

post-22884-0-83355200-1316917758_thumb.j

Wheels on, rear caliper was seized so that had to be taken apart.

post-22884-0-89422400-1316917928_thumb.j

Chain and sprockets are off, new ones are ordered, in the mean time I'll start cleaning this gunk off the bike.

Looks like you're headed in the right direction.

If you haven't already, flush all the brake and clutch hydraulic fluid, and I would also remove the forks, drain the old oil and flush with some kerosene, drain out and refill with fresh oil.

And when the bike gets running, flush and drain/refill the cooling system too.

I know, it sounds like a lot of work, but it's worth it!

You might also want to dismantle, clean and regrease the steering head bearings, swingarm and shock pivots, as well as the rear wheel hub bearings. All those things get neglected, and with only 7,700 miles on it, I can almost guarantee it hasn't been donw since it left the factory.

Wow, lots of work done here since I last checked in! Good job!!

Those carbs weren't too bad, I've seen much worse.

I would inspect the steering bearings and strip the forks, totally clean them and replace the seals as they've likely dry rotted. I wouldn't worry about the tire wear you saw, that just looks like normal wear that was neglected for way too long.

Clay bar is a great idea for cleaning up the paint, just be gentle since the clearcoat on these is very thin. Get yourself some 3M Imperial hand glaze and rub away, it'll probably shine like new again!

Here's some inpiration for you - this bike was in worse shape than yours when I bought it. Went through it from one end to the other and repainted it as well.

7-17-10001.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Couple other questions for you 4th geners:

Slide needles were shimmed with a washer on each. Is that stock or a previous owner mod?

Looked like Keihin jets too my layman's eyes. What are the stock sizes?

The air mixture screws had no plugs covering them. Is that stock, or were they removed?

Two were at 2 1/4 turns out, and the others were 2 and 1 3/4 out. I told him start with all at 2 1/4. Hows that sound?

He said it was stock exhaust, so I'm guessing there was no jet kit. But I'm wondering about the needle shims and air mixture screws just for my personal curiosity.

I completely missed this thread when it kicked off but well done for getting one of these for nix.

The shims on the needles are not stock but are a common mod (usually 0.010") to get rid of the lean patch/ flat spot in the 5-6K rpm range where the noise testing is done.

I can't remember off the top of my head what the pilot screw settings are (the manuel will give this detail) but 2 1/4 sounds about right, they should have rubber blanking plugs on them. The photos show a stock pipe.

• Member Contributer

Well I have it all back together now and tomorrow i register it. it sounds great to me and I can't wait to take it out for a ride. My next task is getting a new R/R. I keep my current one as a spare but the stories of them failing have made me want to replace it.

• Member Contributer

I'll have to wait on that R/R anyway, I had to pay the back taxes on the bike from 2006 until now. That was an extra $230 I wasn't planning on spending. I took it out for a ride today and it was brilliant.

• Member Contributer

I'll have to wait on that R/R anyway, I had to pay the back taxes on the bike from 2006 until now. That was an extra $230 I wasn't planning on spending. I took it out for a ride today and it was brilliant.

Sheesh, really? That sucks... Why are you responsible for that? At least it's running right!

Archived