How to care for asphalt black paint

FrankoQ

Hello,

For the ones with flat black paint on your VFRs, how do you detail it?

Does any soap work with this paint?

How about waxing?

I'd like to wax it not to make it shiny but to protect the paint.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Sponge clean degrease with 409 then was with Zymol. Wipes off nice...low sheen.

gallery_13109_3771_371891.jpg

Asphalt on Neon Spokes Done and On...Haters welcome

That's a nice look :)

• Member Contributer

Park it in the mud and don't wash it :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Doug (Soichiro) sprayed mine off at a car wash before TMAC last year. That's the last time she's been washed. :)

Thing is, any continuous handling/friction against matte black painted finishes eventually develops a shine on it, so you need to protect it from constant contact from your clothing while riding and not be to eager to polish and rub down the finish when you are cleaning the bike.

Matte painted finishes kind ends up being actually more fragile than regular clear coated paint because of this, despite the "rugged" looks they give to a bike.

All you can do is to protect it with films and pads and minimize rubbing it down in any way.

Beck

95 VFR

Soak, lather, rinse, ride, repeat.

I use honda polish occasionally but most of the time I leave it dirty.

Honda polish. got it.

I was reading the Harley forums and Harley's have special instructions for detailing their flat black color bikes.

Soak, lather, rinse, ride, repeat.

I use honda polish occasionally but most of the time I leave it dirty.

Honda polish. got it.

I was reading the Harley forums and Harley's have special instructions for detailing their flat black color bikes.

Probably involves money. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Thing is, any continuous handling/friction against matte black painted finishes eventually develops a shine on it, so you need to protect it from constant contact from your clothing while riding and not be to eager to polish and rub down the finish when you are cleaning the bike.

Agreed. The sides of the tank are susceptible to getting shiny- almost impossible to prevent. I put a tank bra to minimize abrasion w/ riding gear, but it only covers up the area that developed a shine (and probably adds to it).

I don't use any wax or polish on the Asphalt finish. A mild wash detergent (I use Turtle Wax ICE), and it's good to go. I get irritated using Plexus on the windscreen, as the slightest of overspray shows up on the finish.

I get irritated using Plexus on the windscreen, as the slightest of overspray shows up on the finish.

Spray the cloth, then apply.... I use Microfiber cloths...... This way also keeps the products out of the seams/cracks.

• Member Contributer

Timmy? Hello Timmy???????????????

:laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Timmy would have nothing to contribute to this discussion

• Member Contributer

Timmy would have nothing to contribute to this discussion

I was thinking the same thing. Timmy has to be on vacation. Maybe if you use the term flat black, it will cause a response. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

I was thinking the same thing. Timmy has to be on vacation. Maybe if you use the term flat black, it will cause a response. :laughing6-hehe:

A flat-black signal. We can shine an outline of a flat black 5th gen into the clouds and just hope Batman doesn't get confused and show up.

Archived