Hot & Disgusting Summer Weather Riding

CHUCK2

• Member Contributer

How do you guys manage to enjoy riding in the hot & disgustingly humid Summer weather with all your leathers,boots,gloves,etc.?

How can you be comfortable in weather like that especially if you stop somewhere to eat?

Just kinda curious.

The first thing I do when I stop is get the jacket off, then I'll worry about the helmet. Well the "really" 1st thing is to always stop in the shade.

Then we can start with summer wear Products...........

There isnt much hotter and stickier than summer in DC.

If it gets really bad, I wear mesh gear (I know, I know) but its better than no gear. For most regulation summer riding, most of my stuff has vents, and my leathers are perforated. I have worn the same Teknic jacket in 7 degrees up to 104 degrees.

No matter how hot it gets, I will not ride without boots gloves and at least mesh gear with armor. I'd rather sweat than bleed.

• Member Contributer

I have perforated leather pants and jacket. Honestly, when you are moving, it is not bad at all, even in +90 degree weather. I also wear long sleeve UnderArmour and this helps tremendously in keeping me cool. I always ride with ATGATT.

• Member Contributer

On the hotter desert rides, I wear a Camelbak to keep hydrated. I have mesh gear, but now that I have a full set of leathers it's hard to justify wearing the mesh on the quicker rides. I haven't worn these leathers yet in the hotter temps, but I'm already not looking forward to it.

Mike

An outer jacket that allows huge airflow like perforated leather or mesh.

Two cotton t-shirts, the outer one soaked in water. While moving, it will feel like air conditioning.

The t-shirt method works great, but dries out quicker than an evaporative cooling vest. Soaked in water, the vest stays wet for hours.

• Member Contributer

I've been told that a slide down the asphalt with only jeans or shorts on is a lot hotter than a summer day in DC. I don't plan on testing this proposition, though.

I have perforated leather pants and jacket. Honestly, when you are moving, it is not bad at all, even in +90 degree weather. I also wear long sleeve UnderArmour and this helps tremendously in keeping me cool. I always ride with ATGATT.

+1.gif

Perf leather isn't a issue when moving, just get it off (jacket)quickly when stopped and as mentioned wear whicking underarmor.

BR

I use mesh gear with armour, Under Armour shorts and shirts, and an evaporative vest (vest that holds quite a bit of water and acts like air conditioning).

Haven't had a problem with the hottest riding weather and long days (Nevada, Utah, California). A few days in hot weather and you get used to it.

Now riding in traffic in weather like that, that's a totally different story... No thanks! :)

• Member Contributer

I haven't had the chance to experience any of that seriously hot and humid air since I'm in a temperate climate now. How about perf and lots of water????

C

• Member Contributer

There isnt much hotter and stickier than summer in DC.

Obviously, someone that has not been to summer in New Orleans! I like to live "Dangerously", but I wear mesh. I work in University laboratory, and I wear "business casual" clothes to work. I do not expect to wear that type of stuff when out for a ride. I try to never dress how I did in my 20s when I felt like I owned the world (slovenly dresser back then), but you can be casual without being a slob.

Dress comfortably, I don't prefer cotton, I like the synthetic "moisture management" materials which can be had with collars and buttons, now, but I wear a lot of sleeveless (I don't have a concealed carry permit for the GUNS! laughing6-hehe.gif Biceps, Timmy. Just a joke) under the jacket. Somebody mentioned a camelback, which I have not used on the motorcycle, but have used on the bicycle. If you are wearing jeans to ride, don't wear baggy ones, get something closer fit, as denim will hold heat and moisture and become very uncomfortable.

Just my thoughts. It's 80something here in North Louisiana today. Summer in April!

Cheers!

I have a 2 pc perforated Fieldsheer radar leather suit, it makes things more bearable in the summer. Like the others have said, gloves,helmet, jacket off once we stop for any length of time. Drinking a lot of water to stay hydrated is a must too.

• Member Contributer

And some perforated gear is better than others. My perf Vanson jacket is 10 times cooler than my perf AGV.

How do you guys manage to enjoy riding in the hot & disgustingly humid Summer weather with all your leathers,boots,gloves,etc.?

How can you be comfortable in weather like that especially if you stop somewhere to eat?

Just kinda curious.

Simple , I dress for the weather and not the crash, but the numbers say, majority crash way too much.

Besides putting me in armor, I tend to ride even faster, but THeres always the what if, and the knees are normally what takes the brunt in a low slide. kevlar jeans are okay for the skid, but you go down on pavement on the knee with a 500 lb bike and its the blunt force is going to destroy the knee. Many of the kelver jean guys also offer strapless knee pads.

I tried some strap type knee guards and the next morning, i had trouble walking, they were doing something to the circulation, so knee pads are ideal, but strapless set up .

• Member Contributer

I used to wear mesh in the summer but leather is actually better, keeps the sweat in and acts as AC. A cooling vest under and it would be better yet but I havent tried one yet. Maybe when it gets hotter than 114 I will :biggrin:

If you plan on riding in town traffic nothing will help but your bike on a trailer and you in the truck with AC on. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Ride in the morning or evening when there is less traffic (safer, too...yay !!!) and it's cooler. Leave the commuting in the dreadful weather for the 4-wheeler.

Don't want to appear to work for Motoport.com....I don't ....but the mesh jacket they make is superior to all others I see, I've put maybe 6,000 miles on mine.

WAY cool especially in danger mode which means only a long sleeve Under Armor cool shirt.

They are expensive.

I own two perf. Leather jackets and I prefer leather to mesh but living in the Florida Keys I must resort to mesh especially in South Florida humidity and traffic.

Just did a 500 mile trip in Everglades , south Florida and keys in the Motoport mesh and there Kevlar stretch jeans, 85+ and humid.

• Member Contributer

Tim sent me a very interesting pic (photo chopped) of he and Seb in very stylish gear a couple of years ago when I asked a similar question. I tried looking for it but the picture had since been deleleated. Tim I'm sure would be happy to provide you (us) with another rendering if you ask. I will say it brought all kinds of creative possibilities to mind.

I found a link to this site www.veskimo.com/ which looks interesting when it's hot AND humid.

Has anybody tried -- or know of somebody who has used-- a powered circulating cooling vest?

WWWobble

Tim sent me a very interesting pic (photo chopped) of he and Seb in very stylish gear a couple of years ago when I asked a similar question. I tried looking for it but the picture had since been deleleated. Tim I'm sure would be happy to provide you (us) with another rendering if you ask. I will say it brought all kinds of creative possibilities to mind.

For Seb's birthday one year, he looked over my shoulder as I deleted all copies of that photo.

lol the guy from dc who thinks it gets hot and humid their. thats pretty funny.not sure anyone from the north should be commenting on this thread....

the guy from new orleans has it right. Im from houston and we have the same weather.

I usually do alot of night riding and mesh jacket to keep the heat down.

For Seb's birthday one year, he looked over my shoulder as I deleted all copies of that photo.

You know, it's the interweb, all someone needed to do was right click, touch save photo....... I'm sure it will show up again, someday, somewhere.

Hell, google or the wayback machine probably has it in some cached pages. Not that any motivated individuals might want to go looking for it.

Archived